Thread: Bayonet on 1950 Tula SKS

Default Bayonet on 1950 Tula SKS

Hi All,
    I recently stumbled into an exceptional buy on a 1950 Tula SKS. It is missing the bayonet and cleaning rod, but is otherwise in excellent plus condition. It has been refurbished, but all numbers match. The former owner said he had fired 20 rounds through it and then put it away.

I would like to find the appropriate bayonet and cleaning rod for the rifle and was wondering if there is anything specific to the Russian bayonets that set them apart from the other countries manufacture?
    kriggevær - skarpskytte, samler, jæger
    "Roland was a warrior from the Land of the Midnight Sun..."

Quality of mfg'er is about it, sometimes you can find a blued bayo which is a Russian refurb (not exactly what I would want) or one with the gold colored protective coating only the Russians seemed to have.
    When your smiling the whole world smiles with you

vladimir Guest

or chrome is another russian bayo type .

The gold colored protective coating bayo's are chrome, only with the coating on you know they are Russian. Once it's off I really don't know a way to positively say one chrome blade bayo is Russian VS Romanian or Chinese.

vladimir Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    The gold colored protective coating bayo's are chrome, only with the coating on you know they are Russian. Once it's off I really don't know a way to positively say one chrome blade bayo is Russian VS Romanian or Chinese.
    Oh I dint know that ..Thanks for the info.

I didn't clarify that enough in the first post, I was just thinking of how I would know 100% if a blade bayo I found at a show or shop was Russian VS the rest...

Thanks guys - :D

1950 TOZ will have a blade bayonet, mine does.

1950 Blade bayonet for 1950 russian is just about a unique animal unto itself. Just any blade bayo won't work. The 1950 (and I assume the 1949s) require a bayonet where the latching flats, both fore and aft are PARALLEL to the bore axis of the barrel. I suuppose there may be exceptions I am unaware of, but generally all other SKS bayonets have one of the flats (I believe the aft) cut at a slight (10 - 15 degree-ish) angle, so anything but the correct early style won't fit properly, though perhaps with modification, and some experimenting, will work. That JYoob link has a section on Bayonets which explains, and has PICs.

My 1950 uses a std bayo setup, there are 1950 models that are basically just 1949 pattern rifles and you are correct in that there is a big difference between the early and late pattern rifles.

Helpful info on Russian SKS bayonets fitment from another post.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=44803

Great information everyone - it is much appreciated. The former owner said he took the bayonet off because he thought it didn't look right and then of course he lost it someplace. But, with the info you all have provided I know what to look for now.

Hears what happens when a newer Russain bayo is put on the older style lug. Sad part is I think the russians may have done this during refurb.