Default M1917 .30-06 Barrel converted to .308 Norma Mag?

A friend of mine picked up a sporterized M1917 Enfield from a pawn shop a few weeks back. I haven't seen the rifle yet, but he said that that it has the original barrel on it, with the WWI eagle proof mark, but the tag on the rifle said ".308 Norma Magnum. The barrel has no marking saying what caliber it is. So, now he's not sure what caliber it's chambered for, and doesn't want to spend the $60 a box for ammo, to find out it was mislabeled by the pawn shop. Is it possible to ream the chamber on a .30-06 barrel to .308 Norma Mag?
    I Swear On My Life, And My Love Of It, That I Will Never Live For The Sake Of Another Man, Nor Ask Another Man To Live For Mine. - John Galt

First he needs to do a chamber casting. Cerrosafe is by far the best way - follow the directions EXACTLY as you must remove it and measure it at the correct time. or have a gunsmith do it:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...t=cerrosafe&s=

The .30/06 is smaller diameter than the .308 Norma Mag. It could be rechambered to the .300 Win Mag ( a mere $25 a box) but .308 Norma mag brass isn't that expensive and reloading is reasonable.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

I picked up a '17 Enfield barreled action some years ago that had the original barrel bored and and chambered for .458 Win. Mag. Since the .300 Win. mag. is the same case family it shouldn't be a problem (and, yes, the .308 Norma should work, too.) The bolt face and extractor would need a little work for the larger rim diameter and the feed rails may need relieved a bit for proper feeding. The '17 Enfield used to be a favorite for converting to large cartridges - collectors pull out their hair when this happens today (assuming the rifle is in original condition.) If it has already been sporterized, it's another thing.

I used select grade walnut, added a crossbolt, and installed the thickest recoil pad I could find. It made up into a pretty elephant rifle that weighs only 8.5 pounds. That is also the problem. It's on my project list to get a new heavy barrel to bring it up to 10 pounds or so. (If I live long enough to get around to it!)

I've seen the barrel of an Eddystone M1917 (rechambered for .300 Winchester Magnum) take a flight of some 50 meters (it was V-shaped). The action (bolt and receiver) was intact, even the shell was still grasped by the extractor and intact also. All material in front of the receiver was splintered. The threads of the barrel gave away, the shooter (except for a bleeding nick in his thumb) was unharmed. Half of the rifle was gone and I had to take the shooter from his prone position by the shoulders to get him up and assure him that he wasn't in heaven, the blast he received was simply too much for him at that moment. Such accidents teach one some respect for the pressures encountered in a rifle.