Question AK-47 Magazine Identification

This is going to sound bad, and the replies probably won't be much better, but here goes. I'm embracing the fact I have a romanian AK (the good ol' WASR-10) and going the whole 9. Stock, bayonet, pouch, etc. What I'm trying to figure out is how can I tell if I've got romanian mags? I looked, but could find any posts about mag identification. None of the mags I have are marked in any way, but they seem to have difference spot weld patterns. Anybody have some insight?
    Last edited by jd_banger; 05-21-2008 at 02:43 AM.

Here is a link to some information, I'm still looking for one to more I know I have.
    http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/magazine.htm

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some really get into the various little marks on the mags then talk of where they came from based on the slightest mark. IMO it seems it was common in the east block for nations to buy mags from everywhere that ID without a markers mark is really tough to do. My advice is to go to a sponsor like AIM and buy their advertised Romanian AK mags, they know where they came from and getting a good supply should insure that you will be able to start to see a pattern on marks and proofs that will lead you to knowing what is what. I'd much rather just buy 10-20 mags at a great price from AIM they know comes from Romania then try and search in the overpriced bins at local shows and shops hoping...
    When your smiling the whole world smiles with you

I have quite a few 7.62x39mm Romanian mags, and they are not uncommon. Double feed capacities of 5, 10, 30, and 40 rnds are avail. The 5 and 10 rnd mags were simply made by cuting down 30 rnd mags to size. There is a Romanian 20 rnd mag, but none have apparently ever made it to the US.
    Romanian mags are pretty easy to tell when you know what to look for. All are late pattern steel mags with the rear inward facing rib, at the very top, bent toward the rear (making an upside down and backward "L"). Without posting dozens of pics - one type of Romanian mag is commonly found at gunshows. Finnish is a flat black phospate with an "O" stamped very low on the left side of the spine. A "22" will often be found stamped just above it. A lighted manifying glass is a great help!
    Late manufactured Romanian mags, particularly those made for commercial sale in the US, are commonly unmarked!
    If you want to get into AK mags - first thing you have to realize is that they have been made by many countries, in many factories, for coming on 60 years now. There are a countless number of variations. Last time I took inventory - I had in excess of 150 types. I have actually been working on writing an article to help people identify mags - 13 pages of text and 45 pics as of today.

PS - I bought several Romanian mags advertised by AIM recently, and they were Romanian. Most carried the above markings.
    Last edited by Tom-M; 05-21-2008 at 02:37 PM.
    "Would you die in your sleep like an ailing pet?" - Serenity

vladimir Guest

Most romanian mags have no markings what so ever and theres no way to tell them from any others .I have seen the O marking and the 22 on very few of them.

Pics of Romanian mags 30, 10, and 5 rnds.

thanks guys. based on what you've told me, i've pretty much designated my unmarked mags as romanians. As a side note, i've finished my 'true' romanian.

Yes, I know the romanians didn't manufacture bakelite mags, but damn it looks good. When i got the stock set, the wood was in 'ok' condition, and the grip (both the rifle and the bayonet too) was in a sorry state of affairs. Turns out a little sanding to smooth the wrinkles and a spray of krylon clearcoat fixes all the problems!

Again, thanks for all your help folks!
    Last edited by jd_banger; 05-26-2008 at 08:25 AM.

You don't really have to worry what mag you put in it as I can assure you that no Romanian or Iraqi soldier cared! Rifle looks nice.

most of the mags i have from various countrys that have been bought as of late have no proof type or letter markings of any kind outside of just the marks from the manufacturing process

Here is another post that uses pics to help ID AK mags.
    http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=163184
    No guns, no peace.
    Know guns, know peace.