right in the middle of Gods little waiting room

My"sporterized" K31 finally finnished.

Ha! had you going there didn't I? I did refinish it (sorry, I just can't stand the teeth marks) I bedded the barrel, machined the crown, polished the bolt and raceways, added a Redfield wide recticle 2.5 power scop and a mount. fitted it with a leather cheek rest to minimize felt recoil and give a better sighting plane. Took it to the range and was shooting with a couple of our local "long range riflemen" (Swat guys) from the local PD. One by one they were coming over and asking, what the ---- kind of rifle are you shooting? Not your run of the mill Remington 700 that's for sure. Then you show them that you are shooting 25 year old military box stock ammo (GP11) and well,the proof is on the paper. I think this ones a keeper. signed "Bubba" aka Oldgoat46
    Oldgoat46
    " In Biblical times Samson slew 40,000 Philistines with the jawbone of an ass. Everyday an equal number of sales are killed by the use of the same weapon."

Awesome K31!. I like that stock, I would like to refinish mine do you mind filling me in on how you done that to yours? Thanks
    C&Rriflecollector91 "Action Not Words"

Very nice and yes you sure had ME going. I looked at the post to see what the heck that would look like and who defaced this beautiful piece of art! :D I just picked up my 2nd K-31 at lunch, a Walnut 1941. The bore looks even better than my 1950. Anyway, I was thinking of clamp mounting it with an old weaver scope. After looking at your target, I am no longer "thinking about", I am going to do it for sure. Also picked up a couple bricks of GP-11 at the show this past weekend. Ready for the range!
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"Better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6"

Default what did you use?

C&R91 I hate to tell you this but it is several coats of distilled linseed oil let dry and then good old marine spar varnish. (same stuff I use on my sailboat) rubbed down to a luster. so much for secret formulas. thanks fellows. OG46
    Oldgoat46
    " In Biblical times Samson slew 40,000 Philistines with the jawbone of an ass. Everyday an equal number of sales are killed by the use of the same weapon."

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat46 View Post
    C&R91 I hate to tell you this but it is several coats of distilled linseed oil let dry and then good old marine spar varnish. (same stuff I use on my sailboat) rubbed down to a luster. so much for secret formulas. thanks fellows. OG46
    You didn't have to do any sanding or anything?
    C&Rriflecollector91 "Action Not Words"

Oh yeah, lots of sanding If I had to do it again and I am I'm going to try another Boyds stock. the first one I did worked out really well and it looks great but I still need to do some improving on the bedding. Oldgoat46
    Oldgoat46

Thumbs up

Very well done oldgoat !!! You must have spent a long time on getting the teeth marks out of the stock for it to come out looking that nice............

Regards
    Art
    Mobile Riverine Force
    1097th Med Boat Co./9th Inf Div 68-69
    DongTam, VN

Default Sanding

Thanks Riverraider. I had to do quite a bit but I was lucky in the fact that I found a pretty good stock on fleabay. I still have the original but it is beyond hope. I'll hold on to it though. For me the bedding is the hard part. But it shoots really well. Good to hear from you again. Walt (Oldgoat46)
    Oldgoat46

Nice shooting and 'smithing OG!! Where'd you get the cheek piece?
    "Shoot straight you bastards! Don't make a mess of it!"

Lt. Harry "Breaker" Morant, February 27, 1902, Pretoria, South Africa.

Scope

I was looking for an old Redfield 2.5 myself but found a Weaver 2.5 at the gun show here last week. Now I find out that the guy that fixed the old Weavers is hanging it up. Hopefully it will outlast me(lol). Interested in where you got the cheek rest also looks good.

Hadn't seen you post in a while figured one of those "Gators" nabbed you while napping in the back 40.

Regards
    Art
    Mobile Riverine Force
    1097th Med Boat Co./9th Inf Div 68-69
    DongTam, VN

Those are leather Garrand repros that I get on eBay for about 12.00 just type in garrand cheek rest. They allow you to lay your head on top of the stock and get a straight sighting plane to the offset scope. Weaver K4s work well for the K31s the old Redfield wide apetures are a little more friendly for the offset. Nice thing about those leather rests is you can take them on and off and they dont mar the rifle. Good luck with it.
    Oldgoat46
    Oldgoat46