Gunboards Forums banner

Century FAMAS?

58K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  paul s 
#1 ·
I have heard rumors that Century imported a very small number of semi-only FAMAS rifles into the United States in the early 1990s. Does anyone own one of these? How do they handle/operate compared to an AUG, M-4, etc.? If you own one, will you post pictures?

#3 ·
I am the "resident" FAMAS Owner here........Bought mine way back in 1988.....

The Semi-Auto FAMAS is called the MAS.223 and was Imported many years ago by Century Arms.

There are only about 100/120 Imported......Most likely a "One Time" shipment.....
and These few tooks YEARS to sell....
In 1988
The FAMAS was $995......
The Steyr AUG was $650....With Optics AND 5 Mags.......
Translation.....the average shooter bought the AUG......
The Collector [ me ] Bought the FAMAS....[I also own a AUG and a M4]
Todays prices are $8000 and Up......
Oddly enough about 2/3 "pop up" for sale every Year on the Internet.

The FAMAS is almost impossible to mount Optics......so you better like Iron Sights....
There are no accessories...and NO Spare parts.....
They shoot very well....handling is Very Good......very Compact.....
Very Sharp recoil.......but stays well on target......

Handles very much like the AUG.....but has a better trigger than the AUG....

Visit my FAMAS Picture Album....the World's Largest FAMAS Pic Collection.......about 1600 pictures
>>>> http://www.sturmgewehr.com/bhinton/FAMAS/

Buddy

#4 · (Edited)
Amazing...thank you for the pics, Buddy.

Will the FAMAS accept NATO standard mags, as well?

#6 · (Edited)
I know of Two that were sold within the last 6 months......both in the $8,500 range......

There was one just last week up for sale on Gunbroker......with the .22 Calber FAMAS Trainer

Starting bid was $15,000
Buy it Now was $30,000

There were no bids...Surprise...surprise.....

The those two rifles are worth about $8,500 for both.....

The guy was "WAY OUT in NEVER NEVER Land"......

Buddy

Giat F1 FAMAS 223 + Giat FAMAS CO2 BB Gun

Bidding has ended for this auction

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Bid $0.00 Reserve Not Met Started at $15,000.00

BuyNow! Price was $30,000.00

Quantity 1 # of bids 0 Bid History
Time left Auction has Ended
15 minute rule

#8 · (Edited)
The apparent felt recoil is generated by the bolt operating system, the Famas works by delayed blowback action, the bolt is in two parts connected by a lever, it's the same system as for the MG AA52, but reversed, in the AA it accelerates the bolt travel, in the Famas it delays the bolt travel.

The Army Famas uses a dedicated 25rounds magazine, the Navy uses an export variant, Famas G2 that accept Stanag magazines.

A simple modification of the PGM( poignée garde main) allow the Famas to be equipped with a picatinny rail, and many Famas have been upgraded with it for use of an Aimpoint Red dot sight or the dedicated scopes the Scrome J4 for day use and the OB50 for night use.
There are two models of scope/red dot sightl mount in use in the French Army, one built by the Giat, another one by a civilian contractor, none is available to civilians.

The Famas in 22LR is not a trainer (not used by the Army), it was made by Unique for the civilian market, it was in fact a Unique semi auto carbine 22LR model X51 dressed up to look like the Famas.

kelt

#9 ·
The FAMAS has no "Gas System.....it uses Lever-delayed blowback action......

More Details >>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAMAS_(rifle)

There are several FAMAS shooting Videos posted on YouTube..... search word "FAMAS"

Buddy

#10 ·
Around 1999 or 2000 I knew a gun dealer in Switzerland who had as I recall ten or eleven FAMAS' rifles for sale-all semi auto and all import marked by Century Arms. They were slated to be imported to the US from France but never made it out of Europe before the Bush 41 import ban.

FWIW I've run across three military issue FAMAS' in Iraq and I don't mean they were in the hands of french troops.

#11 ·
Here is one of my FAMAS Customers stationed in Iraq last year.......
he needed a few extra FAMAS mags.....I sent him 6......the FAMAS on the Left

He liked the FAMAS as a Vehicle weapon...as in Compact.

Buddy

#12 ·
Is this guy some sort of SF? How did he manage to get a personal weapon into the country? Anarchy, do you have any pics of FAMASs captured from Iraqis?

#16 ·
From the look of the pictures they aren't SF (the guy on the left is US Naval Infantry oops! I mean a Marine). No, I don't have any pictures of the FAMAS' that I saw. I don't know the ones I saw were captured from the Iraqis-all I know is that I ran across them. In one case when I asked how the guy got it all I got was a grin and a "knowing look".

I doubt VERY seriously the rifles in the picture were POW's brought into Iraq. You would be surprised at the scheiss that wound up in Mesopotamia. For instance the only FN CAL (like new but no magazine) I've ever encountered was in Iraq. For a time one of my carry guns was a nice APS Steckhin. I've seen absolutely brand new, mint, never fired Browning .30 cal. machine guns. Then there were the Saddam era Iraqi SVD's with KVAR mounts and Nikon scopes...............

#13 ·
Thanks to Kelt and Buddy on setting me straight on the operation of the FAMAS. I am always happy to have my edjumication improved.:)

#15 ·
Thanks

Thanks to All for your kind words......

Whats the point of Collecting anything...if you cannot share your Knowledge about it.

Like they say....."A Picture is worth a Thousand words"

And I have LOTS to say >>> http://www.sturmgewehr.com/bhinton/

Buddy

#17 ·
Before GW 1 started a French Recon Team had been captured by the Iraqis. The team was made free but without their FA MAS..
They must be somewhere there.
IIRC, UAE and Kuwait ordered a small batch before GW1.
A Brit and a Yank contacted me in 2003 to get some magazines for FA MAS they found in Baghdad without magazines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.