Default Lyman Alaskan questions

I've been watching prices on Lyman Alaskan scopes on ebay, mostly
    from an interest in vintage sporting rifles. I notice that some go for
    quite a bit higher than others. I was wondering if the price difference was due to a desire to build sniper clones and what recticle patterns and serial number ranges were desireable.

The Lyman Alaskan 2.5x was adopted by the U.S. military as either the M81 or M82(can't remember which), so I'd assume that the martially marked ones would sell for more, and as far as reticles, I read that all Alaskans used on snipers had the single post reticle, and thus these may sell for more than those with the standard crosshair reticle.
    Last edited by sniperfreak; 05-26-2008 at 06:52 AM.

Lyman Alaskans were both the M81 and the M82. The difference was the reticle ( standard fine crosshair or euro style center post with a fine crosshair). I can't remember which was which, but I think the M81 was the standard fine crosshair reticle.

Saleen
    Last edited by saleen; 05-25-2008 at 07:59 PM.

The Lyman Alaskan was first militarized as the M73. It ws basically the commercial Alaskan with a crosswire reticle. Originally it was intended for issue with the M1903A4 sniper along with the Weaver 330C (M73B1).

Lyman was unable to deliver on the contracts for the A4. The M73 was used to some extent on the M1C but then it was modified by adding a rubber eyecup and a sliding sunshade on the objective lens into the M81 (crosswire). A shorttime later the same scope with a tapered post was authorized and that was the M82.

Few iff any M1 snipers made it into combat during WW2. But they would have been around for Korea.

Default re Lyman Alaskan scope with B s/n

I have a Lyman Alaskan scope with a B prefix serial number, B2706.

Would this be one of the more desirable military models likely used on M1C rifles?

I am looking for a Lyman Alaskan scope with post reticle and a 4 digit serial number followed by an S with an arrow beside it.
    Last edited by cantom; 07-24-2008 at 10:25 PM.

Cool Lyman Scopes

Hello PhyDoc2. Try looking at gunshows or out of the way gunshops. I know that it can be a HUGE pain but you never know what might turn up. I found a 2.5X Weaver at a show for $75. It was on a table with a bunch of old hunting type scopes. It has the Post recticle and thin wire cross hair. Mostly the scopes are costly because of their "collector value." Good luck with your search.

Default re Lyman's

Quote Originally Posted by cantom View Post
    I have a Lyman Alaskan scope with a B prefix serial number, B2706.

Would this be one of the more desirable military models likely used on M1C rifles?

I am looking for a Lyman Alaskan scope with post reticle and a 4 digit serial number followed by an S with an arrow beside it.
    Ditto what snowman said. Have attached pics for your photo file. This was found at a brit militaria fair screwed onto a really ratty Savage No4. The mount is a repro but the top end is genuine. Bought a decent LB to put it on as it looks better on the rifle than on the top of a bookcase. You can actually see the taper on the post as the posts were actually a very fine needle they bought in for the job. The cross wire being so fine in comparison must actually be a wire.
    Extremley fortunate yes but it goes to show that eyes open all the time when you are out and about.
    Regards
    Tim

Default Lyman Alaskan Dimensions?

Gents,
    Can anyone kindly let me know how long the Lyman Alaskan scope is? I believe the tube diameter is 7/8"?
    Regards
    Garry.

A real Lyman Alaskan is 10.5~ inches in length. Since the eyepiece is adjustable the length may vary slightly.
    The militarized versions, the M81 and M82, are going to be longer due to the presence of the sliding sun/rain shield and rubber eyeshade.

Question Need someone to take a look at this for me

Gentlemen,
    I am sorry to resurrect an old topic but I came upon something that I would appreciate some feedback on.

Took the scope to Collectors firearms yesterday at the request on one of the guys in the office to let one of the employees who collects scopes to see it and he thinks the serial # is 112 not 1121.