Default FN FAL Trigger Job

I built an Imbel with all the U.S. required parts. I checked my trigger weight and wasn't surprised to find it around 10 lbs. I search the "net" for a lighter FAL after market trigger. All I found was "Falcon Ind." has a spring set. I don't remember the price or weight reduction. I decided to try and make my own set of springs.
    I went to "True Value" hardware store with my trigger spring and found the closest match (size). The spring compression was half of the original one. (3 per pak for $1.85)
    I compared spring lenths and cut the new one two rounds longer. I then cut two rounds off my sear spring. I measured with my "Lymans trigger scale" and reduced my pull by 4 lbs.
    It's that simple, If you want to try my way I suggest cutting your trigger/sear springs one round at a time. Test your pull and if needed cut "one round" again until your at the weight you feel safe with.
    I didn't do anything to my trigger or sear. No buffing, polishing, grinding or cutting.

That's cool. I don't remember the setup, number of springs and type, 'cause I haven't taken mine apart in years, but, assuming you still have them, perhaps you can list the replacement part number from True Value? As much as I like to tweak, I usually hold onto the original parts.

Thanks for the post!
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides..From "Commonplace Book" by Thomas Jefferson.

It's been about a year since I worked my trigger and I didn't document any specs. I know , I should have , when I get the chance I will and pass it on to yall.
    Here's an added note:
    I got my springs from "TRUE VALUE HARDWARE" not TRUVALUE. This hardware store is like the one's from the good old days. You know the kind that carries all the parts you wish Lowe's and Home Depot would have. It's my "MOM & POP" hardware store. If I need just one harden steel roll pin the "just the right size" they have them. You get the idea. American stuff not the soft China junk.
    That reminds me. I need to check my Brownell's catalog and get some Spec on some gunsmith extra's and make a drive over there and do some stocking up.

Affirmative on the "TRUE VALUE HARDWARE"!

Thanks again
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides..From "Commonplace Book" by Thomas Jefferson.

i did pretty much the same thing, just put lighter springs in,

Quote Originally Posted by joseywales76 View Post
    i did pretty much the same thing, just put lighter springs in,
    Did you change your hammer spring? I didn't, but I was thinking of cutting one or maybe two rings off of mine. I think it would lighten the pull by .5 to 1 lbs. I've never measure the compression weight, but I use a needle nose pliers to reassemmble.
    Last edited by p89ruger_9mm; 06-13-2008 at 05:23 AM. Reason: spell check
    "All our best kept secrets are the lies we tell ourselves" by Mark Hillard and The still small voice call "God"

I also have been looking for an after market trigger and found the Jard match trigger from Midway for about $159, hope that helps

Does it still reset? Pull the trigger on an empty chamber with no magazine inserted, and while holding trigger down, cock it again and then slowly let the trigger go and see if it resets. I bought one that somebody did a trigger job on, and it would not reset half the time, had to put an original spring back in.
    The Americans fight for a free world, the English mostly for honor and glory and medals, the French and Canadians decide too late that they have to participate. The Italians are too scared to fight; the Russians have no choice. The Germans for the Fatherland. The Boers? Those sons of bitches fight for the hell of it!” - American General, George “Guts and Glory” Patton