Gunboards Forums banner

Spanish Pistol Picture Thread

307K views 669 replies 202 participants last post by  Bill DeShivs 
#1 ·
Let's see those Spanish shooters.

By adding some info about the pictures we can create a good reference source for everyone here.

Astra CUB 6,35mm (.25 ACP)

Star S 7,65mm (.32 ACP)

Llama III-A 9 corto - 9x17mm (.380 ACP)

Star Super B 9x19mm

See less See more
#5 ·
My 2 offerings

Only 2 Spanish pistols in my meager collection...one is a Star B, (complete with faked Nazi Waffenamt). Code stamp indicating 1943 production.

The other is a Llama that was recently added..and thanks to those that know, tell me is probably from 1938/1939...Llama Extra that fires the 9mm Largo (but you all know that :)

#8 ·
Here are my two Astra 400 pistols. Both date to the Spanish Civil war and likely were manufactured in 1938-39 based upon their serial numbers. The first is a Nationalist pistol and the second is a very nice REPUBLICA ESPANA pistol.

Now that I have these two I am itching to add more to my collection. This thread will be a very nice way of seeing what else may tickle my fancy.

Tim

#9 ·
Star BM

This is my only Spanish pistol, a Star BM

This is with the original grips. I have some nice wood grips, but they are smooth and I can shoot better with these. It's got a black Duracoat finish as the original bluing was in bad shape so my brother Duracoated it. Then he gave it to me :D It really is a great little gun. I'd like to get another Star or two to keep it company:p

#10 · (Edited)
Wow, I really like the look of that pistol! I think the original grips complements the Duracoat finish works quite well. It also looks like a nice compact pistol that would be easy to carry in an inconspicuous fashion. So, I do have a naive question - does the Star BM fire a 9mm Largo or Luger round?

Tim

#12 ·
Wow! Those are two very good looking Astra 400's. Congrats mate!

My very first pistol (23 year ago!) was a all chromed Republican "400" with the same grips as yours. I sold it shortly after to a friend of mine that still has it.

As a side note, the guy that sold me the gun gave me a box of the wrong ammo, 25 rounds of 9mm Parabellum!!! Nevertheless we shove the rounds into the mag -there was a lot of wobble inside that mag- and fired the gun...the thing worked every single time....Incredible!!!

But yes, I know, we didn't know better and just got lucky!

#15 ·
Bob,

Is it inadvisable due to powder charge issues of an issue of the case versus chamber length. The reason I ask is because I am set up to reload 9 mm Luger and thus have the capacity to alter the powder charge of my rounds if the issue is that modern 9 mm Luger ammunition is over-powered for the Astra 400.

Tim

#16 ·
The main reason not to is due the difference in case length: 9x19mm vs 9x21mm. As the firing pin strikes the primer it pushes the cartridge forward into the chamber placing lots of stress on the extractor which has to stop that forward motion all by itself.

#17 ·
The 400's little sisters.

All the following models were made in both 7,65mm (.32ACP) and 9mm corto (.380 ACP).

Astra 3000

Astra 4000

Astra Falcon

And something for those, like myself, that like BIG BORE guns.

Both guns were part of an Argentinian Police contract back in the 50's.

Star P in .45ACP

This one has a Ballester Molina rubber grip.

#18 ·
My first Astra 400

I just bought this Astra 400 at a local gun show. Was looking for a nice shooter and this one fit the bill. I read the "evaluation of the Astra pistol" and followed the procedure and everything checked out. It's not totally original since the barrel has a different serial number but in turn it's a nearly unused barrel. Since the pictures were taken I dissasembled it completelly, cleaned it, lubricated it and put it back together. It was not cheap but I seldom see one at all in my neck of the woods and did not have to pay for shipping, FFl license service at my local gunshop and the phone call not too mention that other pesky expense. It came with one mag so I set out to find a spare at the same gun show. This other guy had a table full of all sorts of mag. I ask him and he showed me one which I bought for 20 bucks. It's in great shape and it's a Republica Española issue!
There were some other guys selling Astras BM's in the box marked Guardia Civil for $232.00 each and in an attack of idiocy I did not buy one.

#19 ·
Pistola Star "Sindicalista" and Star 1922 G.C.

Hi:
Another curiosity. The first pistol belongs to my brother who lives in Spain. It's called the Sindicalista. Aparently used during the Spanish Civil War since he bought it from a friend of a friend whose father in law had a cousin who was an anarchist and so on, and so on and you know how these things are, who knows where it came from in reality.
The second pistol i bought from my local gunshop. It's a 1922 Star marked for the Guardia Civil. It was cheap with a worn, so far unobtainable, extractor claw, otherwise in good shape, rifling a little dark but more than good. I though the markings were neat. Enjoy!
PS: I somebody has one of these extractors OR know if the extractor is interchangeable with that of the A or B models, please let me know!
El Facho

#20 ·
El Facho - the Sindicalista is also known as the Model 1919.

Tsellati - The 9mm Largo cartridge is 9 x 23MM and the 9mm Parabellum is 9x19mm. The cartridge indexes on the forward lip of the cartridge in the chamber; yes, the pistol will fire shorter case ammo, but Wamba pretty much nailed it - the extractor is the only thing holding it in battery when the cartridge is fired, putting undue pressure on your extractor. resulting in a much shortened extractor life. Also, you will be causing errosin in the chamber forward of the shorter case length, so it will eventually make it harder to chamber and fire the cartridge that the pistol is designed for.

#27 · (Edited)
Some more photos:

1) Astra 400 pistols, Spanish Civil War, expedient plain wood grips.
2) Ascaso copy of Astra 400
3) JoLoAr pistols, top one in 9mm Largo, bottom one in 380ACP.
4) Llama Extra pistols, 9mm Largo
5) R.E. copies of Astra 400, top one with rarw wood grips with bronze medalion inserts.
6) "Ceasar" Pimp gun, engraved, silver plated, gold washed, mother of pearl grips.
7) Star Model 1920.
8) Star Model 1921.
9) Star Model 1922.