Gunboards Forums banner

Sniper heads-down — 1942 VKT m/39–43

12K views 51 replies 24 participants last post by  rocker98 
#1 ·
Next post, please.

#2 ·

"WATCH OUT! ENEMY SNIPER" — Poventsa, May 30th, 1942

So it happened that I made a deal of this m/39–43 sniper rifle. Haven't inspected the rifle personally yet but judging by the pictures it looks like a decent example. I really like the stock's (V. Lindholm Carpenter Works) wartime looks with rather dark bitumen finish. The sniper bolt seems like a Finnish-made variant, probably reworked from an early style bolt body as the arm "foot" looks thicker than of those made by the Soviets. The bend itself is really steep and the arm touches the stock. This is something I've seen earlier though.

There is a number 505 stamped to the base which exceeds the number range 1—500 reported by Palokangas. I'm unaware if it has real significance. I fail to see signs of fakery here although I have to admit I don't know the m/39–43 rifles too well. They are not very commonly seen.

As to numbering, I think the barrel is made in 1942. The magazine floorplate is matching which I consider a really lucky accident. The bolt body has the full serial number stamped to the bolt flat. Being a depot assembled rifle, unlike Sakos, I am unable to tell if this is how the rifle originally was or if the number was stamped later. I just checked the pictures from Palokangas' book, very small ones though, which show the m/39–43 bolts numbered similarly (including the font) but, in addition, the bolt knobs are also numbered having four last digits of the serial number. Sako had the fashion of four last digits on knob at least since 1935 but I don't know when the SA depots adopted it.

The rifle ownership status still remains unchanged so I thougt to respect the owner and hide the two last digits.

#28 ·

"WATCH OUT! ENEMY SNIPER" — Poventsa, May 30th, 1942

So it happened that I made a deal of this m/39–43 sniper rifle. Haven't inspected the rifle personally yet but judging by the pictures it looks like a decent example. I really like the stock's (V. Lindholm Carpenter Works) wartime looks with rather dark bitumen finish. The sniper bolt seems like a Finnish-made variant, probably reworked from an early style bolt body as the arm "foot" looks thicker than of those made by the Soviets. The bend itself is really steep and the arm touches the stock. This is something I've seen earlier though.

There is a number 505 stamped to the base which exceeds the number range 1—500 reported by Palokangas. I'm unaware if it has real significance. I fail to see signs of fakery here although I have to admit I don't know the m/39–43 rifles too well. They are not very commonly seen.

As to numbering, I think the barrel is made in 1942. The magazine floorplate is matching which I consider a really lucky accident. The bolt body has the full serial number stamped to the bolt flat. Being a depot assembled rifle, unlike Sakos, I am unable to tell if this is how the rifle originally was or if the number was stamped later. I just checked the pictures from Palokangas' book, very small ones though, which show the m/39–43 bolts numbered similarly (including the font) but, in addition, the bolt knobs are also numbered having four last digits of the serial number. Sako had the fashion of four last digits on knob at least since 1935 but I don't know when the SA depots adopted it.

The rifle ownership status still remains unchanged so I thougt to respect the owner and hide the two last digits.

View attachment 1167041 View attachment 1167049 View attachment 1167057 View attachment 1167065

View attachment 1167073 View attachment 1167081 View attachment 1167089 View attachment 1167097

View attachment 1167105 View attachment 1167113 View attachment 1167121 View attachment 1167129
is it just me or does the floorplate look to have been hit by a grinder?

#12 · (Edited)
The bore looks surprisingly good, very nice. Often these are shot beyond hell and back! At least those I have encountered.
This Palokangas statement (bad translation, sorry) sure gives some shivers: "The assembly of sniper rifles in mind certain VKT-made barrels were gradually picked aside during acceptance tests, barrels whose bench rest group was one ragged hole."

The crown sure looks sharp and corrosion rate is not too high either. I think it could be "2" on the muzzle. Heck, many were used until the early 1980s! :)

#7 ·
Awesome! Is this the one that was on Huuto not too long ago?

#9 ·
Thank you people. :)

Yeah, that one. After negotiation we were able to compensate the price to 700€ which still is higher than average but the rifle also looks like better than average.

The rifle is from the last depot sales on Panssarivarikko (Armor Depot) held in 2007. The owner said he paid 580€ for it. Only two auctioned rifles had scopes and they were sold for 1310€ and 1500€. When the SA sold the first batches in the 1980s and 1990s none of the rifles had scopes. They were sold separately later.

#18 ·
You Dman. M39 proved it 72 year ago. stop testing how will it shoot. just don't shoot it. hang it top of FP! Beauty.;)

#23 ·
The reproduction mount and base was substantially different than a real one both in size and width of the base mounts channel for the base. I don't think but a few dozen where ever made.

#35 ·
Wasn't the scope a 4x38 ? My memory may fail me...

As for the number on the mount, are we sure that only 500 of these mounts were produced ? That would make more sense that several mounts were produced as spares to be installed on replacement rifles. Might be that this rifle is a post war conversion...

V

#37 ·
Yes, the objective diameter is only 38mm. Is "90" eye relief or something?

There's very little information available regarding mount/base numbering. Palokangas says 1—500 but this may not be written in stone. The SA originally had intention to produce 2000 units of m/39–43 rifles but because the German military command said only 500 scopes could be exported the production total was only 2+500 or so. The "two" are trials rifles equipped with, if we believe Palokangas, commercial Ajack sample scopes.

So that would make the highest base number "502". However, we don't know for sure which point the numbering took place. If it happened only after the acceptance test then I guess there would be no "gaps" in the numbering but if already numbered mount parts went into accaptance test chances are some of them were rejected. If SA wanted to have 500 accepted units any rejected example would increase the running number. The mounts & bases were mainly made during the winter 1943—1944 which was really unfavorable time due to difficulties to acquire high quality steel and precission mechanical tools. Therefore the m/43 mounting parts are manufactured of substandard steel which caused many problems later. It is probable that some bases and mounts were produced for spares. We also don't know if the bases were installed to rifles in chronological order.

Palokangas says only about 300 units of m/39–43 rifle were ready when the Continuation War ended in September 1944.

#41 ·
Damn it people, it's weekend now and it means the m/39–43 in action! Sure there are more pictures out there but finding correct search words is not that easy. Here are a few pictures with ID's added so that you can go and download the original big versions. If there's more, please add them too.

#42 ·
Oh my, went to police station for license on Monday and today mail brought a smoking new one! What was the last time they were that fast, during the happy days of pre- school massacre era?

Chances are the rifle could be here next week...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.