Default Nationalist Chinese Air Force dagger...

Hi guys,
    I acquired this recently. It's a dagger or dirk worn by officers of the Nationalist Chinese Air force during WWII. This one came to me in a group of Japanese bayonets and militaria brought back by an American vet. Workmanship is crude compared to a German dagger or Japanese naval dirk but then the Chinese were working under extreme duress to say the least. The bird is ,I believe, a parrot. The grips are made of some kind of celluloid material. Overall length including scabbard is eleven and one quarter inches, blade length six and three eights. The brass device on the scabbard's mouth is marked with some small Chinese characters which, I'm told, translate as 'Produced by Chengdu Xinjian Metal Factory‘. Apparently the city of Chengdu was the Chinese equivalent of Pittsburgh or Solingen.I've seen other examples where the scabbard mouth device has the figure of an eagle and a propeller on it. This one has a rampant lion. Possibly different specialties within the service? Here are some pics.

Best regards,
    Len
    ..of those men who have overturned the liberties of republics, the greatest number have begun their career by paying an obsequious court to the people; commencing demagogues, and ending tyrants. -Alexander Hamilton , The Federalist Papers

Len

Interesting looking dagger.

What is the pistol ?

Richie

It is actually a pigeon and it was used by Police.
    The pilot one usually can fetch $500+ but I don't know how much a police one worth.

Default Pistol?

Hey Len,

What type of pistol is that? Caliber?

Thanks,
    sotexjay

Hi guys,
    I'm told the pistol is a type generically called a "KMT" after the Kuo Min Tang party of Chang Kai Shek. They were made before and during the war and they all mimic western pistols in design. This one seems to be styled after the FN 1900 while the green horn grip is reminiscent of a broomhandle Mauser. Caliber is 7.63 Mauser.The holster seems to be of Japanese manufacture while the shoulder strap is Chinese.

Len
    Last edited by Len S; 06-18-2008 at 08:04 PM.
    ..of those men who have overturned the liberties of republics, the greatest number have begun their career by paying an obsequious court to the people; commencing demagogues, and ending tyrants. -Alexander Hamilton , The Federalist Papers

Default KMT pistol

Hey Len,
    I conferred with you on the KMT pistol back a couple of years ago. I wanted to ask a question about it. Do you know the magazine capacity by any chance. Saw a Chinese copy of the FN 1900 in 7.63 Mauser with a magazine capacity of 5 rounds! Thanks, Walt

Last edited by Hardrada55; 08-05-2008 at 07:34 PM.

Hi Walt,
    I think I have some 7.63 squirrled away somewhere. I'll keep you posted on the mag's capacity.

Best regards,
    Len

Chengdu is my home city,
    not "Apparently the city of Chengdu was the Chinese equivalent of Pittsburgh or Solingen" as yet.
    Chengdu is Chinese fourth big and developed city now,Panda's hometown.
    you can see
    http://www.chengduenglish.com/

and
    Chinese Air Force headquarters in Chengdu (192?~1945),
    So about 90% Air Force dagger made in Chengdu.
    Last edited by jcwater; 08-30-2008 at 12:46 PM.