The East-German Makarov Factory Cutaways

Thread: The East-German Makarov Factory Cutaways

Exclamation The East-German Makarov Factory Cutaways

Hi gang,

Of course, there is no need for an introduction on the beautiful East German "Makarow" pistols. However, an odd variant was also produced in the GDR, apparently known as "Schnittmodell" or "Lehrwaffe". These instructional cutaways have always intrigued me, as not a whole lot of countries produce dedicated educational firearms for their organisations. There isn't a whole lot of information on these in the net, and I have tried to compile a bunch of knowledge as best I can, so I can share and discuss the subject with you guys. Some of the images are taken from huggiebear's post (http://luger.gunboards.com/showthrea...DR-LEHR-Waffen), and most from Hermann Historica, a german auction house that puts some cutaways for sale now and again.

East Germany manufactures cutaway weapons for training purposes and for use in recruit schools. Collectors can find MPi-K and MPi-KM cutaways generally floating around. In my opinion, East Germans do a great job at exposing the various interaction of parts while maintaining weapon integrity.

In total, production of these cutaways is estimated 850-900 pieces (seems to be the golden number for most Combloc cutaways), which makes these objects very collectable and desirable in any condition. Such pieces make great additions to Makarov collections.

Here is a good example of a typical cutaway (note that the safety lever is missing).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cutaway 5.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	248.0 KB 
ID:	1191841

The weapon has a total of 9 viewing windows, performed by 13 milling operations, which are located on both sides of the pistol and showcase the following:

...in the slide:

• The abutment of the slide hood
    • The slide stop lug and trigger guard tang
    • The recoil spring, barrel and chamber, breech face and breechblock
    • The safety and decocking function
    • (On right side) Sear, hammer and disconnector engagement

Name:	Cutaway Right.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	1191865

...in the frame
    • The trigger seat/shoulder
    • The trigger guard plunger and spring

Name:	Cutaway Detail 3.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	298.9 KB 
ID:	1191849

• The disconnector and hammer engagement in double-action, as well as leaf spring function

Name:	Cutaway Detail 2.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	301.5 KB 
ID:	1191857

• (On right side) Trigger bar movement

The barrel and hood have only two cuts located on both sides that expose the chamber area, and surprisingly, the grip is left untouched. There seems to be no provision for the extractor. All the cuts have been highlighted with red lacquer/paint.

Name:	Cutaway Detail 1.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	276.0 KB 
ID:	1191873

Concerning markings, they seem to vary. It seems that a lot of the cutaways have dedicated serial numbers, with the prefix "SM" for Schnittmodell followed by a standard four-digit number replacing the original marking that has been ground away. Not only that, the approval and test stamps, such as the "K100" and "circle and letter" markings have all been polished away. If you look closely, you can notice grinding marks and the faint outline of the original etching. Here are two more examples.

Name:	Cutaway 1.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	233.0 KB 
ID:	1191881Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cutaway 2.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	1191889Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ja8BUE.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	292.0 KB 
ID:	2112274

The example in the centre still has the faint original markings that seem to read "ER5***" on the frame. This is proof that the cutaways were converted from functional pistols, and not purpose-built in a separate assembly line (like the PM-63 cutaways).

Also, you may have already noticed the presence of a large "LEHR" stamped onto the slide. The placement, font and size seems to vary greatly, as does the quality of the stamping. The marking can be seen filled with red lacquer. Some other variants have "Lehrwaffe" electropenciled on the right side of the slide (see picture no2 in post).

The placement of red paint stripes also varied. I personally encountered one with a stripe on the slide and on the grips (see 1st picture). Was it a factory job, or an element specific to some training facilities?

Here are a two oddballs that came along during research, which are interesting:

Name:	Cutaway 3.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	242.4 KB 
ID:	1191897

The first striking difference that can be observed is the different placement of the cuts. You can see that there is no cut in front of the slide to show the abutment. Also, a very large cut has been performed in the hammer area at the rear, which isn't present in the other Schnittmodells presented before. The function of that cut is to probably show the state of the safety lever and hammer during decocking. Also, the K100 and Suhl stamps have not been ground away and replaced. The serial number ER2846 is not of the SM#### format. Strange, huh? Note that the slide is not completely closed, which leads me to believe that the guy who took the photo stuck in a 9x19mm Parabellum round by mistake!!!

Name:	Cutaway 4.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	222.4 KB 
ID:	1191905

This one is even stranger. The brown grip already gives us a few questions. A lot of elements in this particular Makarov seem to show that the pistol is not from East Germany: the oval spring detents, slide stop serrations, milling marks in safety recess, "fat star" grip, overall duller bluing, later-style safety lever with spring mounting hole all point this pistol as a Soviet Makarov. However, the serial number format and K100 stamp suggest otherwise. Note the difference in cut placement and shape compared to the previous pistol. The front slide lug and hammer cut are both present, but notice the L-shaped frame cutaway that differs from the usual T-shape.

Here are a few more pictures I have found:

Name:	Cutaway Left.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	1191913

Name:	Cutaway 6.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	277.6 KB 
ID:	1191921

Now where the heck can you find these cutaways? The answer is pretty simple: mostly in Europe. There are very few already floating around there in the first place, let alone in the US. However, the prices are rather reasonable in Germany for such a niche and rare item, as they are *still* considered as military surplus. The numbers float around 150-600 Euros, which is okay.

A few questions still need to be answered, especially on the historical side. Hopefully, some of the forum members will have their say on the subject!

Anyway, hope you enjoyed this post, and see you later!

MEERKOOS
    Last edited by Meerkoos; 04-04-2017 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Revision of Info.

Thank you for posting this outstanding information on the Makarov pistol. I did note the fact that some of the cutaways have an extra red circle indicating the "Fire " mode, and the model with the red/brown grips has the "cat's eye" style of cut. A later produced pistol?

Simson-Suhl, I appreciate the kind words. I love the Makarov in all its forms! They are just fantastic pistols.

What you have noted is absolutely true. The spring detent holes were round in Soviet Makarovs up to 1974-1975. After that period, the shape was changed to an oval one (as you said "cat's eye", I like that), possibly to improve engagement with the spring-steel catch on the safety lever. In fact, all East German Makarovs had round detent holes, since the change didn't exist yet. It is also safe to say that all the Bulgarian Makarovs had oval-shaped holes, since the earliest Bulgy ever spotted here was made in 1975 and sported cat eyes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for an excellent post and wonderful photos!

Welcome to Gun Boards!
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

Laugh hard and often.

Gary

Meerkoos thank you for sharing this. I have looked for years for a Russian cutaway with no success. They exist, of course, but few or none ever made it to these shores. Congratulations on a nice piece. ABTOMAT

Thank you for joining our forum, and for sharing your interest and information on these pistols! Indeed, they are wonderful!

SlimTim
    Budweiser's Real Man of Genius: Mr. Gun Show Junkie

Georgians! Tennesseans! Join your neighbors in the TN/GA Shooters forum.

Post updated and cleaned, added extra info. Enjoy!

Great post and outstanding commentary. Thank you for posting this.

Thanks to Meerkoos for the fantastic photos and information.
    co-author of The Makarov Pistol Soviet Union & East Germanyby Brown and White 2016
    Makarovbook.com

Thank you for a very informative post Meerkoos.

Thank you Mister Coffee, Cameron and jpshaw for your kind words! Glad you enjoyed this thread.

Das ist wunderbar! Ohne Zweifel.

Very nice of you!

Thanks for the info, Meerkoos. Funny that you updated this thread. I was just reading this a week ago. I actually came across one of these. Any idea on what a fair value would be?

Quote Originally Posted by Laufer View Post
    Das ist wunderbar! Ohne Zweifel.

Very nice of you!
    Bitte schön! Glad you liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by StlMakGuy24 View Post
    Thanks for the info, Meerkoos. Funny that you updated this thread. I was just reading this a week ago. I actually came across one of these. Any idea on what a fair value would be?
    Thanks for your appreciation StlMakGuy24. The value of these depends on where you are located. If you are in the US, then it can go as high as you wish, since I don't think any were imported in any appreciable quantity (less than a 1000 were made anyways). I would say that a decent price is $500-750, close to $1000 for one in mint condition (they are almost always in used condition).

If however, if you are located in Europe, you can halve these prices. These are actually not too difficult to find at gun shows, auction houses, and in private collections. I wish you luck with your purchase!