Thread: 7.62 X 54R Ammo rankings

Default 7.62 X 54R Ammo rankings

I could probably dig deep enough in the forum archives and answer this question, but I don't have time today and I am asking for your help.

If you list the best 7.62 x 54R ammo from most desirable to shoot to least desirable, what would be your rankings? List as many as you like.

I know it makes a difference which rifle it is shot from but if you could buy any that was manufactured what would it or they be.

I'm wanting a clear picture of what to be on the lookout for.

You can also list your least favorites as well. Thanks

i like to use Bulgarian heavy ball. it comes in a 300 round tin and can be had for about $45 online. the main reason i use it is because its cheap and accurate. it works really well, and also has a nice muzzle flash.

the only other round that i really have any experience with is the S&B Winchester stuff. its nice because its not corrosive, but at $1 a bullet its not worth it.

i also shot some mystery copper plated steel case rounds from the local gun shop, but not enough to really get an idea of how well it works. not sure if it was Russian or what, but it too made a nice boom.

I have had the best luck with Hungarian lead core heavy ball (yellow tip) for surplus practice ammo.

For best results, I haven't found anything yet that could top Barnaul 204 gr jacketed soft points in steel cases.
    "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." -- Mahatma Gandhi (An Autobiography OR The story of my experiments with truth, by M.K. Gandhi, p.238)

Best,7n1, Polish LB, Czech silver tip, Late prod. Russian LB.

Worst, Albanian, Some lots Bulgarian LB.
    The soothing light at the end of your tunnel is just a freight train coming your way.

Best: Polish LPS, Hung LPS, Chinese LPS, 80s date Russian LPS, Yugoslav M30J, Bulgarian HB, Czech 80s LPS

Worst: Finnish 1940s, Some lots Bulgarian LB, Albanian with the shoulder too far forward to Chamber!

Lapua and Norma are the highest quality. Of course it's very expensive compared to surplus ammo.

Norma, Lapua, "Extra" Match

I guess I should have been a little more specific.

Due to the cost of factory ammo, which in most cases is pretty good, I was mainly looking for rankings among surplus ammo.

Still, I thank you for all input.

I've had good results with 70's Hungarian LPS, 80's Russian LPS, 70's and newer Polish LPS, Yugo HB, and 60's Czech LB. I think overall, the Hungarian LB LPS is what I like the most. Not only shoots great, but looks cool too.

Of what little is out there, Id' be tempted to pick up the 80's Bulgarian copper washed LB.
    There is always a well-known solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong.
    H. L. Mencken

Hungarian and Polish LB are very good.

Yugo Silvertip also good if a clean chamber (sticky case/chamber syndrome).

Bulgarian '52/53 LB is crap and should be avoided at all costs.
    Just looking...... Membership Chair, Dormont Mt. Lebanon SC, PA. Visit us at : http://www.mdi.net/dml/

Hi,

Czech Silvertip, Polish, and interestingly, Albanian, (I've got a Tula ex-PEM that loves the stuff. Go figure).

I've had great results with Brown Bear also.

dalee

Polish is best in my Mosin Nagant. Tokarev is best with Barnaul 204 grain Soft Point.

I know you want surplus. But I've had good results with Silver Bear 203gr and Brown Bear 187gr. And they can be had for a good price.
    Also like the Bulgarian HB yellow tip and the Czech silver tip.

Nothing beats good ol' VPT 1930s match ammo IMO...

K-I-V---R-I-N-T-U-K-K-I--L-J-Y Now you!

To win, you need a Finn.

I think, the red/white Lapua Match was real good, but gone are the days..........
    Collector's Creed:

This is my rifle.
    I have many like it, and they are all MINE.
    My rifles are my life. Without my rifles I am useless.
    I must buy any cheap Milsurp, before Bubba does.
    I will learn all about restoration and preservation of guns.
    I must clean my rifles and shoot them often.

So be it, until all old military rifles have found a loving home.

So far I've tried;

The Good
    (Links to 7.62x54R.net's Ammunition Eval. Page)

Bulgarian light-ball ~ Over 800 rounds fired, only one failure-to-fire. No sticking in the chamber, no split cases, excellent accuracy.
    These are my favorite 54R cartridges; when I bench-tested them in January from my 1934 Tula M91/30, IIRC air-temp was between 25-30deg farenheit at about 8200ft above sea-level, with little-to-no wind (very uncommon at this particular range!). The Bulgarian LB provided 2-3/4" to 3-3/8", 5rd groups on a 25/300m zero target.

Bulgarian heavy-ball ~ 120rds of a 300rd can fired, no FTFs, no sticking, no split cases.
    If I don't have any of the Bulgarian LB, these are my next choice if available. I haven't bench-tested them yet, but I expect that they'll afford a very good level of accuracy.

The Average

Czech light-ball ~ 200rds fired, no FTFs, no split cases, began sticking in chamber after 50+ rounds.

The Ugly

[url=http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo014.htm=Albanian light-ball[/url] ~ 3/100 FTFs, misshapen bullets, split & dented cases, unevenly seated bullets, every couple rounds stuck in the chamber. These things were horrendous in quality, and shot even worse. I'm lucky they were free! Comparison Picture

Other cartridges I've fired in small quantities that posed few (if any) problems;
    Polish LB (a few sticking cases), Yugoslavian HB (a few split-cases), Wolf LB & Brown-Bear HB.
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/orderodonata/SigBan_AK2sm.jpg

Лошадь Войны -------- Ветерана войны
    M91/30 Tula - '34 -------- M38 Izhevsk - '42

Надежный Друг --------- Подпорка
    Arsenal SLR-95 --------- Radom Wz.48 - '52

Best Friend
    Norinco M213

My favorite is the copper washed Chinese surplus that is no longer importable. Great stuff and accurate. The Russian Brown Bear, Silver Bear, and Wolf are all decent and shoot well in various guns, once I determine which bullet weight they prefer.

I'm not a big fan of the Czech silver tips as they continually bind up and are difficult to extract in a majority of my rifles.

BeSwift

Default Ammo?

Favorite for which one on my many rifles? I daily see people bashing the ammo that I like in a certain rifle! I would have to list a rifle and then a favorite and frankly we don't have enough room not mention the time it would take to go through my shooting book. Seriously I just buy what is available at a reasonable price, trying to stay with brass cased ammo, and try it in different rifles. Only worst case ammo I have found is the blue boxed East German stuff! Nothing I have will shoot that or eject it with any consistancy! Have fun figureing whether it is you or the ammo! hehe! I do! Bill ELT
    zeebill live from the hills of West Virginia!

From my experience:

#1: Chinese surplus (copper wash)
    #2 : Polish light ball ( steel core) 70's manufacture
    #3: Bulgarian light ball ( 1955 manufacture)

Commercial:

Russian Bear 203gr lead tip

My personal current all around favorite would have to be the Polish, it works well in all of my rifles. The Chinese tops my list but sadly it has been gone for several years. I have only a literal hand full of it left.
    "A right is not what someone gives you;
    it's what no one can take from you"
    Ramsey Clark

The best: My own handloads.

Default This site has good information on the subject...

This is a frequent subject. Part of the issue is the rifle's unique preference but if the ammo is not good quality, good results will not happen. In addition, what round was the rifle designed for?

Match quality ammo like "extra" and S&B match do well in most rifles. Some milsurp ammo does very well. 7N1 has worked well for me, as does a Chinese version of same.
    The Hungarian heavy ball was exceptional in my M-39s. The Wolf commercial in 148 grain FMJ has been exceptional in all my PUs. It was cheap and non-corrosive but is now hard to find. I have never had luck with the 203 or 204 grain soft point stuff in anything, but as you see others have. Avoid it in the semi-autos like the PSL.

Do your homework and buy lots of variations to try for your rifles. If you find something that works for you and your rifle/rifles, buy all you can afford as fast as possible.