Default M1 Garand bolt jamming problem

I have been having a problem with the bolt jamming on my Garand. It is normally after shooting a few rounds threw it but I am new to this rifle and don't know if this is just normal or not. The bolt won't open and it is VERY hard to get open when this happens. Can anyone help me with this problem and tell me what to do so this don't happen again. Thank you. John

Quote Originally Posted by johnggrg View Post
    I have been having a problem with the bolt jamming on my Garand. It is normally after shooting a few rounds threw it but I am new to this rifle and don't know if this is just normal or not. The bolt won't open and it is VERY hard to get open when this happens. Can anyone help me with this problem and tell me what to do so this don't happen again. Thank you. John
    Have you disassembled/cleaned/lubed the rifle thoroughly? Also it's important to use the proper GREASE, not oil on the bearing surfaces.
    Michael

Need more information. Is it failing to eject the fired rd? If so I suspect a dirty chamber. You need to soak the chamber with Hoppes then run a chamber brush. Its possibly very dirty and maybe even pitted. Hopefully a good cleaning will solve your problem

Also take it out of the stock and work the action. Make sure noting is binding up. Check and make sure the op rod is clean and moves freely too.

Quote Originally Posted by ken k View Post
    from what I`m reading in your post, if you fire a few rounds and it locks up, might wanna check headspace, also like suggested a dirty chamber

ken
    Wouldn't that happen after the first round? If it was HS. Chamber cleaning would be included in my "disassembled/cleaned/lubed" routine.

I'm still thinking dirty or pitted chamber. I had a CMP rack grade that had FieldGrade Muzzle and Throat readings but empty brass would stick in the chamber. Not every rd but every second or third. I had to scrub the heck out of the chamber but eventually got it smoothed out or cleaned to were it functions fine

Quote Originally Posted by highestangel View Post
    Wouldn't that happen after the first round? If it was HS. Chamber cleaning would be included in my "disassembled/cleaned/lubed" routine.
    not always, but like you said a good cleaning, and go from there, headspace should be checked,

I had the same happen to a Winchester M1 G--the stock was actually binding the bolt---seems it only happened when you fired a few rounds--not sure if from the heat or what--however it has been fixed and fires great.