Default Receiver "Mod 98" marking

I hope you folks don't mind a couple "newbie" questions, but I've looked everywhere I can think of but can't find the answers.

I picked up my first K98 yesterday, an RC in pretty decent shape - at least I think so. It's a laminated flat butt 1938 code 27 (ERMA) with a pretty low serial number and an absolutely mint bore. The WA's are not pinged, milled bands, and the usual parts are only very lightly EP'd. (It even had a sling, capture screws and a cleaning rod!) The previous owner said it's a teriffic shooter.

I'm perplexed, though, by the font of the "Mod 98" stamp on the reciever. I've never seen that in other pics of K98s. Is it just indicative of pre-war rifles? Also, is the lamnated flat-buttplate stock "correct" for a '38 ERMA? (I don't plan to change anything, I'm just curious.)

William Russ
    Former President, North Florida Arms Collectors Association

If all of the sane people were armed, the crazy people would get off fewer shots.

Different manufacturers used different versions of the "Mod 98" marking. 1938 seems a little early for laminate to me, but not impossible. Check BBOTW for details.

Thanks, Bob, I was thinking (without checking) that lam stocks came in around '38 and became pretty much standard by '39. As usual, when in doubt, look it up.

Backbone of the Wehrmacht shows 6 different versions of Mod 98 stamped and it says various versions of it. They show two versions of Gothic Mod 98 like yours in the picture.

So Gothic is uncommon, but not unusual.

Goes by manufactor and by year.

And don't forget the unmarked siderails found on early Sauers (up till early 1936) and early 660-coded Steyrs. And then there's the Wz29/40 variants....

Several letter blocks of 1941 dated Sauer rifles assembled with Walther supplied receivers will also be found missing the Mod.98 designation on the side rail.
    Quote Originally Posted by madboy357 View Post
    And don't forget the unmarked siderails found on early Sauers (up till early 1936) and early 660-coded Steyrs. And then there's the Wz29/40 variants....

Ive seen ax 40's in both straight and Gothic 'mod 98'
    an aside, check out the cool Erma 'almost Luftwaffe' swazi proof on this guys rifle.
    always thought they were cool.

Default mod.98 designation

I have a e block ce42 that has no mod.98 designation
    Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr455 View Post
    Several letter blocks of 1941 dated Sauer rifles assembled with Walther supplied receivers will also be found missing the Mod.98 designation on the side rail.

Quote Originally Posted by solman View Post
    ...check out the cool Erma 'almost Luftwaffe' swazi proof on this guys rifle.
    Yeah, I was wondering about that, too. I just didn't want to ask too many stupid questions at once. All of the other proofs I've seen on other rifles were the eagle atop a swastika. This one has a couple of the "almost Luftwaffe" proofs. Was this just an early version, something specific to ERMA, or did it signify anything special?

Oh, and thanks for all of the responses so far!
    William Russ
    Former President, North Florida Arms Collectors Association

If all of the sane people were armed, the crazy people would get off fewer shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr455 View Post
    Per Gew, my ce 41 f block w/ e/280 receiver does not have a Mod.98 designation.

Ok about the missing side rail but I thought this gothic script was standard on all Sauer rifles?

I have a CE44 with that script.

Quote Originally Posted by madboy357 View Post
    and early 660-coded Steyrs. ..
    Ken,
    I think the missing side rail carries through the no-letter block bnz41's as well..
    Last edited by Turbo Archie; 06-16-2008 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Archie View Post
    Ken,
    I think the missing side rail carries through the no-letter block bnz41's as well..
    And maybe those infamous "neuer art" bnz40's too!

I had forgotten about the early-war Sauers being blank siderail'd as well, thanks for the reminders....

Default Side Rail

Here is one for ya. Ham has seen this because I posted it on G/K a while back. My Gothic script ar 42 Izzy.

Ski

Last edited by hrvatski; 06-16-2008 at 04:25 PM.
    Looking for Oberndorf bolt 2138h

The gothic Mod.98 is usually found on receivers that carry E/280 (post 1939)Erma inspection markings on the right side of the receiver ring. These receivers were supplied to other 98k contractors including Sauer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Archie View Post
    Ok about the missing side rail but I thought this gothic script was standard on all Sauer rifles?

I have a CE44 with that script.
    Last edited by Gewehr455; 06-16-2008 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks for setting me straight Gew.

It wouldn't let me add to my post so here..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture_00001.JPG