Thread: steyr ssg

Default steyr ssg

This is my first post to this forum. I have a Steyr SSG which all the reviews say should be extremely accurate. Mine is not bad but not a tack driver. I am still playing with loads but I have tried projectiles ranging from 150gr to 178gr, the 168 Sierra matchkings seem to be the best. I also shoot a Savage .303 in standard form and a 6mm BR in F class.
    Anyone with any information on the Steyr?

Hello Nick, you don't say what kind of groups you are getting? I have an older green SSG69 with original matched scope that will pop cinderblocks out to 600 yards all day long (as long as I do my part). Over a bench with 168 Sierra MK I can usually stack 3 at 100 yard range (again as long as I do my part). Resting betwwen shots to cool the barrel. Remember lighter barrel, so will string vertically if you shoot too fast. The SSG69 was ment as a one shot sniper. You may have to play with loads, each rifle will like a little different load. Also, everthing tight, Screws, Scope, etc. Oh what scope? Not sure if I have helped or not - Skid

Default steyr ssg

Yes thanks, mine is a green ssg as well. I have a simmons scope X6-20. I will have to make a concerted effort to work out the load it works with at the moment I am using 168gr Sierra match king with 44.5 gr of ADI powder 2208 .
    I tried to find out when it was made but had no joy. The serial number is 181134. Any information will be appreciated.

Nick, if I remember right the barrels are dated? Combination of month and year, VII70 for July 1970 or something like that? I will check mine tonight. Skid

Hello Nick, I was rght. If you will look on the right front of the receiver you will see a Roman Numeral and a 2 didget year date. In my picture mine is VIII81 or August 1981.
    My serial number is 135780, lower than yours so I would assume your date will be somewhat later. Hope this helps - Skid

Quote Originally Posted by sssniper View Post
    Hello Nick, I was rght. If you will look on the right front of the receiver you will see a Roman Numeral and a 2 didget year date. In my picture mine is VIII81 or August 1981. My serial number is 135780, lower than yours so I would assume your date will be somewhat later. Hope this helps - Skid
    Not that it is important to anybody, but I used to shoot an older SSG69, one of a batch of about twenty acquired in 1978-79. We used to shoot the 190gr S&B ammunition in them to the exclusion of anything else.

The last time I shot the one I usually had was in 2000, when, according to the log, it had fired just over 11500 rounds.

The grouping for zeroing at 100m was still only around the size of a quarter for five shots, IF you let the barrel cool down for a few minutes between shots.

I was never less than mightily impressed with them all, and if allowed, would have had one for my self. As it is, I'd have to get rid of another gun to get one...

tac

I love the SSG-69! Here is the question that peoplr are afraid to ask, what kind of scope do you have on it? I have seen more than my fair share of $1,000 plus rifles mated to $100.00 scopes. Lets not forget about rings, the rings on my 40-X are USMC issue and weight about 1/2 pound.

SSG-69 are not tack drivers, it is a nice light weight sniper...

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nick View Post
    This is my first post to this forum. I have a Steyr SSG which all the reviews say should be extremely accurate. Mine is not bad but not a tack driver. I am still playing with loads but I have tried projectiles ranging from 150gr to 178gr, the 168 Sierra matchkings seem to be the best. I also shoot a Savage .303 in standard form and a 6mm BR in F class.
    Anyone with any information on the Steyr?

My green SSG69 is marked '308 - 7.62x51' and 'BHO' and 'EDO'. It appears to have been sold by EDO ( an ordinance co) and issued to the Indian Army at some stage...BHO is the country code for India. I did a bit of research & found that the Indian Paramilitary Border Security Force used SSG69's. There's no date stamp that I can find on it. Its still fitted with its original Kahles ZF84 6x42 scope. It will shoot 1 MOA with milsurp ammo.