Your favorite MilSurp to actually shoot

Thread: Your favorite MilSurp to actually shoot

Default Your favorite MilSurp to actually shoot

Hi all,
    not exactly a review, but I was wondering what MilSurp is your favorite to actually shoot.

For rifle, mine is the K31. The smooth, straight-pull action, the accuracy, the fairly low recoil. It is just a joy to shoot!

For handgun, I will go with the CZ-82. Accurate, fun, feels good in the hand.

So, what are yours?
    "Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." - Aristotle

K31 has to be it. I will be adding a Swiss Products muzzle brake soon and I hear from other GunBoard members that that should improve the experience even more.

Yes on the K31 but just to be different my vote is for the Krag. I bet it even has smoother action than the K31.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

In a bolt gun, my Chinese T53, in a semi, my Chinese SKS, in hangun, its a toss up between my Romanian TTC Tokarev and my Bulgarian Makarov.

My Vickers or BREN. But I don't get to do that very often

Remington rolling block ... Mosin-Nagant 1891/30 or m/39 ... M1 Garand ... except the price of ammo and components gnaws at my conscience, somewhat spoiling the experience in a way that doesn't happen with Mosins. ... MAS36, although, again, price and availability of ammo dependent.

I can safely say that I have not yet found a surplus pistol that is a rewarding shooting experience... At least yet.
    Alle Kunst ist umsonst, Wenn ein Engel in das ZŁndloch prunst.

Mustn't forget the new-to-me M1 carbine!

geladen is online now Platinum Bullet Member and Curmudgeon-in-Training

The Reising M50 is my favorite.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reising M50.jpg  
    Every post I make is made with a request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

Regards,
    Bill

All my Mausers are here (Index is in post #1):
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?144316-Mausers-Only-Mausers

III, GOA Life

Quote Originally Posted by geladen View Post
    The Reising M50 is my favorite.
    Nice!

Hard to choose, for me it varies. Currently my favorite is my Remington 03-A3 (but my Husqvarna M/38 is always near the top. I can't deny my Swedish heritage and the accuracy of that beauty always brings me back). For a semi-automatic rifle, any SKS, they're fun and cheap to shoot. For pistol, the Tokarev.

Quote Originally Posted by spongemonkey View Post
    In a bolt gun, my Chinese T53, in a semi, my Chinese SKS, in hangun, its a toss up between my Romanian TTC Tokarev and my Bulgarian Makarov.
    My 2nd place was a tie between an M44 (my Romanian version of the T53) and an M48 B.O. which I bought unissued. The fire-ball on the M44/T53 just adds to the fun, though neither my M44, nor my neighbor's T53 compares in accuracy to my k31, or M48.
    "Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Turftech1 View Post
    My 2nd place was a tie between an M44 (my Romanian version of the T53) and an M48 B.O. which I bought unissued. The fire-ball on the M44/T53 just adds to the fun, though neither my M44, nor my neighbor's T53 compares in accuracy to my k31, or M48.
    This is true! But they are fun to shoot!

My Fazakerly No.4 Mk.1 Enfield for sure. My old eyes like the peep-sight, and nothing else I shoot groups so well - which is, always a big plus.

My No 5 Jungle Carbine is my favorite. That thing is surprisingly accurate....so fun to ring steel with it.

Quote Originally Posted by daveccarlson View Post
    Mustn't forget the new-to-me M1 carbine!
    I, sadly, was not one of the CMP Carbine lottery winners. Perhaps the Carbine would have beat out my K31!

Oddly, my MAS 36. Second runner up would be my 1891 Argy Carbine.
    Curator, the Privett Museum for Unloved & Wayward Guns. Est. 2006.

Hakim, Svt-40, Tok 33, .54 Wanzl Jaeger not in any order.

My favorite is my M1 Garand, however I am collecting the reloading equipment so I can shoot my MKIV Martin Henry and will see how that goes.
    Rudy N
    1926 Izhevsk 91/30 (Ex-Dragoon)
    1929 Izhevsk 91/30 (Ex-Dragoon)
    1935 Tula 91/30
    1943 Izhevsk 91/30
    1943 Tula 91/30
    1943 Tula M38
    1944 Izhevsk M44
    1944 VKT M39
    SIG M28
    1943 SA M1Garand
    1943 Remington 1903A3
    BYF44 K98
    Saginaw SG M1Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by Alexei View Post
    My Fazakerly No.4 Mk.1 Enfield for sure. My old eyes like the peep-sight, and nothing else I shoot groups so well - which is, always a big plus.
    I really like the peep sights too. Partly why I like my 03-A3 so well, but the No4 Mk1 is nice.

My favorite is my Bnz 43 K98k, followed closely by my No.5 MkI carbine and then closely by all my other milsurps!
    Author of: Echoes of the Dominator, the Men Who Flew the B-32.

Boy, this is a tough one... How about "Favorite(s) to shoot" and why:

MAS 49/56- Smooth, reliable, accurate, ROBUST, simple, and ugly in a beautiful way

No4 MkII- Just exudes quality, love the round, accurate, easy on the eyes, great trigger and sights. Fit could be better

Argentine FN 49- Feels great, fits well, quality is unsurpassed, interesting history from a great maker

SVT-40- Love the history, powerful, LOUD, reliable, just a beast I love to shoot. Is a bit long, but lighter than expected

Type 99- Feels fantastic, great ergonomics, innovation and design, love the markings and the cartridge. What a great rifle

M1 Carbine- So handy, light, great history, innovative rifle and cartridge, value just keeps going up

K31- Stock fit is weird for me, but everything else is magic. My God what a bargain.

AG-42- Brass looks as if it went through a blender, so makes reloading a pain. Quality however is A++++++, nice to look at, love the quirkiness

1917 Enfield. Winchester, that Elmer Kieth stamped... Great rifle, accurate, great sights but a bit unwieldy

Israeli K98- Great history, 7.62x51, accurate and fun to shoot, fits me well, joy to handle and shoot

MAS-36- 1940, so it may have been used in WWII combat, accurate, ROBUST, so well made, handy and innovative. Love it.

Madsen M-47 Colombian contract- Funky, interesting history, hits a lot of bases, fits me like crap.

M39- SAKO, so I love the history, fit is fantastic, shoots like a house of fire, workmanship is fantastic, and the stock is stunning.

91/41 Carcano- Never have shot it, but like that some people think it's junk (yeah right), great round, nice workmanship and design.

Ishapore 2A- Great round, well built, very accurate, nice trigger... Fit is Meh, ejection stinks, chamber is, *ahem* generous. Still love it.

Whew, that was fun. Thanks for indulging me

Austro-Hungarian M1867/77 Werndl

The example that I shoot regularly is extremely accurate with my handloads. Several years ago I used it to drop a nice Whitetail buck with it at 90 yards. The deer didn't take a step.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Werndl M1867-77 Rifles.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	231.7 KB 
ID:	1249785

The two rifles that almost always showed up with me a the range; Finish M39 - accurate and lots of ammo to shoot, and the Swede M38, the Swede also accurate. Just for favorite - Swiss 1911, accurate, fit me perfect and seemed to just shoot so easy, and accurate. Now, when my friend took his M1 Garand, I shot it as much as he would allow. He generally had to ask for it back. My end of the day rifle that was used to knock down soda cans, explode fruit and just have fun from 50-100 yards, the SKS. Cheap Chinese pinned barrel, but lots of fun and by that time my shoulder was sore.

The K31 and CZ 82 are also among my favorites. I also like the Type 53/M44, M39 and Bulgarian Makarov.

I really like my M96. Very accurate with mild recoil.

Favorite(s)? all ... but it comes down to the ammo to shoot them and what I have on hand or can afford.
    I favor the 7.62x54R because I have a stack of spam cans in the basement I can afford to burn.
    M39(s), all the time. SVT-40 is a hoot to shoot but I hate cleaning it. Mosins gathering dust ... prefer the M39
    PSL-54C(s) get frequent use but son and I can really put a dent in the ammo can when we take them out!
    M1 Garand ... everybody just has to love a good shooting M1 but the current prices of M2 ball make it a special treat to break out and take to the range for a limited session.
    The 8mm selection? Stockpile of surplus 8mm has dwindled and no longer plentiful or cheap.
    I enjoy the Hakim(s), the FN49 and even the K98 or M48 but I have gotten stingy with the remaining 8mm
    The Rasheed is a great little carbine but i don't stock a lot of 7.62x39 and can't remember the last time that came out.
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    Austro-Hungarian M1867/77 Werndl

The example that I shoot regularly is extremely accurate with my handloads. Several years ago I used it to drop a nice Whitetail buck with it at 90 yards. The deer didn't take a step.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Werndl M1867-77 Rifles.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	231.7 KB 
ID:	1249785
    O-ho! "The OTHER rolling block!" Very, very nice! Someday, maybe I'll luck into one of those....

I might add that there are "least favorite MilSurps to actually shoot" and in that category, I must personally rank the Austro-Hungarian/Austrian/Hungarian 8x56Rmm carbines and stŁtzen and the vaunted M1903 Springfield.

Finn M39, and my Soviet Tokarev

For pistol shooting CZ 82 , as for rifle I have not shot my M39 yet so....... Hmmm...... I shoot the T53 most but that might be all about cheap ammo. If my GEW 98 was not in such nice shape and ammo was cheap it may be a fav. I think it may be the K31 if I had the funds to buy more GP11.
    It's a tough call, maybe I should say which ones I least like to shoot (the list would be short).

Cool thread

K 11 (k 31 is awsome too but just fits my hand better) for target shooting
    22 Beretta Olympia for a plinking (new fav for shooting cans)

Wow! 29 guesses and no right answers yet! 😉

I'll end the suspense! Mauser 71/84. Try it and you'll agree!

My 45 autos ! I take 3 to the range .a Ballester Molina, a 1919 Colt ,and a EXP Union Switch & Signal. M-1 garand for rifle .I do not own "safe queens" ! If I own it I shoot it !

A SAMCO imported, ex- Yugoslavian Army, Soviet built, 1944 Izhvesk rescoped PU. Fast, smooth bolt, legendary Yugoslavian tuned trigger, and three shots into the same ragged hole accuracy. Plus no defacing billboard on the receiver, looks pretty much like it did in 1946. It's a rifle Vasily Zaytsev himself would have been proud of.

Remington M1903A3, 1943. I shoot it a lot and appreciate the accuracy.
    I only have one milsurp pistol so its my favorite. Enfield No.2 Mk1 from 1939. Hammer spur intact.
    "He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

U. S. '98 Krag, but they are almost all fun.
    The 70/87/15 is the least favorite (and only shot it once). Really a rough action.