Gunboards Forums banner

DIY Bluing Tank Ideas?

10K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Charley1 
#1 ·
I am thinking about JB Welding 2 metal trays, those use in Pastas and such, to try to fit my LOOOOONG Turk Mauser. But I am open to other ideas. I dont want to spend $50 ~ 60 bux on something that I am going to do only one time. Any ideas? Thanks

#2 ·
if you are talking about stainless steel it won't work. you will need an iron tank to blue with. i don't know about the jb weld. but i suspect it would introduce impurities into the bluing and effect your color. i don't believe there is an easy way to get around doing bluing 'by the book'.

maybe others will post their experience.

#3 ·
WHOA! :eek: You are thinking of trusting JB Weld to contain several gallons of highly-corrosive, boiling, ~300ºF witches brew?!?!

A much better solution would be to find a local gunsmith that has a bluing setup.

#4 ·
Hot bluing is not a DIY job. Brownells "First step" kit is $800 - $900 and the pro setup is $2000.

Try rust bluing as discussed here recently. That'll cure you.

And I learned the limits of JB Weld many years ago. It is usually a waste of money.

#5 ·
I do "backyard bluing" about once a year on the rear patio using Brownell's black iron trays (plus a coupla fiberglass trays) and the Lye/Ammonium Nitrate mixture. IIRC, just the ingredients for the mixture cost ~$45 for a batch ... and then there is the propane for the tanks ... and an entire day setting up, heating up, cooking, cooling down & disassembling.

Do yourself a BIG favor & find a gunsmith ... ;)

Kim

#6 · (Edited)
JB weld will NOT work, and it's virtually suicidal to try this.

First, like all epoxy glues, JB starts to break down around 200 degrees or so.

Second, hot salts bluing chemicals are extremely caustic and will literally dissolve the JB, dumping a tank full of hot corrosive chemicals everywhere, including ON YOU.
This stuff literally EATS flesh, eyes, and anything else it touches.

The only proper bluing tanks are are made of either folded or welded black iron. Stainless, plastic and other materials will NOT work.

Hot salts bluing is a dangerous business no matter how you do it, and you just don't take shortcuts.
Either buy the proper equipment or have it done for you.
Life's short enough as it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.