Thread: Hogan's Heros

Default Hogan's Heros

Watching an old rerun of the Hogan's Heros program. Sgt. Shultz is walking gaurd with a rifle over his shoulder while Bob Crain, Hogan, walks along with him talking about Shultz's new girl friend and guess what kind of rifle Shultz has over his shoulder, a Krag. I'm no expert on these rifles so I couldn't tell what model it was but I thought something was fishy when the rifle looked a little too slim for a German Mauser, and a little long barreled so I tried to see what the action looked like and sure enough the magazine gate stood out just as plain as day, and the magazine metal on the off side could then be seen. Guess the producers figured there was no one in the audiance smart enough to know the difference and if they did notice they wouldn't care one way or another. Hmmm, wonder if they knew the difference?

There was an episode where Hogan is disarming what it supposed to be a fake bomb in the compound. Shultz had a 1903A3 slung over his shoulder. Guess the Sgt had a vey bringback
    Ike
    "Hope is not a strategy"
    NRA Life Member

not hogan's heroes, but i watched death hunt last night and the scene where they try to dynamite bronson out of the cabin. the attackers were shooting all kinds of c&r rifles. interesting stuff.

Yah, I like Death Hunt, and I like the weapons. I've wondered each time I've watched it if they were all 'in time.' I think they did pretty good for Canada at that time frame. Not sure about the Mounties, Lee Marvin is using a Krag Carbine, the colored mounty has a sporterized British Enfield, and the young one has what looks like a Winchester '73, or '76. I would have expected them to have used all the same rifles, but I don't really know anything about the history of that branch of service. It is fun to watch all the different guns used throughout the movie.

While we are talking about tv and movie guns I'll tell you the one thing that really turns me off. You have, like in "The Wild Bunch" people packing what appeared to me to be
    .92 Winchesters yet Ernest Borgnine has a bandilero of some very large spitzer pointed shells. Would have looked better if he would have carried an o6 or mauser. I see this a lot in movies, the porducers must think it makes the bad guys look tougher to have all the ammo hung around their necks especially the biggist cartridges they can come up with, oh well movies are still fun to watch. Tried to figure out what the combatants were using in the movie "Villa Rides" with Robert Mitchem and Yul Brenner the other nigh, fun movie to watch.

Shultz used the krag rifle in a lot of episodes...i just watched the episode where hogan stoled the gold bricks and used them for klink's steps...he had a krag there too and the ss guards at the gold truck (ford) were carring thompson 21 submachine guns

andy
    GOD BLESS AMERICA...LOCK & LOAD

Yes Krag's are big. Also look at the sub-machine guns. Sum MP's and some Thompsons with period slings!
    Ike
    "Hope is not a strategy"
    NRA Life Member

Somewhere I've read where the actor who played Schultz (can't recall his name right now) was a vehement anti-Nazi and refused to carry a Mauser -- hence, they armed him with a Krag

Actually, they were all Americans. Schultz (John Banner)Actually server for the US in WWII and Verner Klimper (sp) was jewish. Lebou was actually in a German camp as a child.
    Ike
    "Hope is not a strategy"
    NRA Life Member

We had a guy in our N. Guard unit named Schultz...SGt. Schultz. Got some laughs at first.
    Next SHOOT?

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=11325

Join the Southern Wisconsin, Northern Illinois target shooters.

Default Wild Bunch

Recall the beginning when the greasy bandits are on the roof waiting to shoot. Strother Martin and L.Q. Jones are armed with M 1903A3;s. A great movie, up there with the Magnificent seven, The Good the Bad and the Ugly as well as the Pro
    fessionals, Woody Strode was a little too early on the movie scene. He could have been another Jim Brown,

The man that played Schultz had his picture on WW-2 recruiting posters during the war and Klink was really jewish (I think he was jewish) I read the poster deal about the guy that played Schultz (I think his name was John Banner) in a mag.

Speaking of strange guns I was watching an episode of 26 men (1957-58) show about Arizona rangers and they were talking about trap door Springfields so the guy pulls one out of the crate and its a lever action Winchester. (I have several episodes of 26 men on CD)

I read the original DEATH HUNT book many years ago. Never saw the movie. This whole thing started with a hunting accident, that exploded into a Hatfields vs. McCoys fued. Both sides armed themselves with a bunch of military surplus weapons including some Class 3 firearms. They started their own war on the banks of a river...

I can think of worse places to start a war.

And it would not be unrealistic for captured Danish Krags to be issued to rear echelon troops like Schultz. Unlikely perhaps, but not unrealistic. Movies and television are supposed to entertain, and if every German rifle was a Kar98k, it would grow rather dull. Of course, lots of people will see an unlikely gun and say, "wrong!".

Krags have figured prominently in many Hollywood "epics." I saw Gunga Din the other night and all the "British troops" were carrying Krag rifles and school carbines while the Thugees had Trapdoor Springfields. A bit of artistic license if I say so myself!

In one of the early WW2 films (I think it was a John Wayne flick) the Japanese were all armed with Krags.

There was also a movie made from one of Pearl Buck's books and the Chinese guerillas had Krags and Trapdoors.

How about the 1932 King Kong. The S.S. Venture's crew carried Krags and M92 Winchester carbines.
    Last edited by Krag; 11-22-2008 at 01:02 PM.
    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.
    [Points to sword] But this....this you can trust!"

Conan the Barbarian, 1982

Here are a few shots I found from Gunga Din:
    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.

Several years ago the CMP sold off a large number of Krag Rifles and Carbines turned in by Movie Prop warehouses. They were pretty beat up and rusted out by use of blank cartridges and little attention to cleaning but probably better than some of the altered drill rifles turned in at about the same time.

Prop houses these days prefer dummy non firing weaponry, they've found that even blank only guns can raise insurance rates and cause delays because of permits for pyrotechnic devices.
    We use CGI Plugins to create muzzle flash and add the muzzle blast to the sound track.

A year or so before I joined the group the guys were filming a scene near Heathrow Airport and hadn't notified the authorities, since the weaponry was sci fi ray guns that they didn't think would draw any attention. They have a Clip of an armored Armed Response team riding down on them, luckily the detective in charge had a sense of humor.

There are now very convincing cast resin dummy rifles with operating bolts available for film use.
    There are also some even more realistic airsoft replicas of WW2 rifles and Carbines. There are K98 and G 33/40 Mausers and M-1 Carbines and Garand airsoft with wooden stocks. There are Arisaka and Lee Enfields as well but they are more rare and more expensive last time I looked at prices.

If a script calls for sniper to be shot out of a tree its nice to know that its not a real collectable milsurp hitting the ground.

Klink, played by Werner Klemperer, was German, and I understand he would play the role only if Klink always lost the battle of wits.
    I also understand he was pretty much known as Otto's little boy. Otto Klemperer was a famous classical music conductor. He was fine with that.

In Cary Grant's movie, Destination Tokoyo, the sub's shore party goes ashore with slung Winchester 1894 carbines.
    In Distant Drums, Gary Cooper chased Seminole Indians in the Everglades in 1812 or there abouts with Single Action Colts, Trapdoor Springfield carbines.

Quote Originally Posted by breakeyp View Post
    In Cary Grant's movie, Destination Tokoyo, the sub's shore party goes ashore with slung Winchester 1894 carbines.
    I'd noticed that, and figured the covert survey team had sanitized their equipment, and using a commonly available sporting rifle might throw off the Japanese should they have to eliminate anyone or their equipment wash ashore. They dumped the carbines with the rest of their gear.
    Winchester Lever actions were fairly common on merchant vessels. Smugglers might be likely to be armed with such a carbine.

The CMP still has some of those junked Krags but I wouldn't pay $400.00 for an incomplete parts gun either. You'd have spends lots of extra $$$$ at GunParts Corp to find the missing pieces...
    Last edited by cousinkix1953; 11-26-2008 at 03:20 AM.

Default 24

Jack bauer had a No 4 last night in Africa. Looked like a nice BLD rifle, clean, with dark wood all around. Couldn't see if the bolt, magazine and stock were matching.
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by limpetmine View Post
    Jack bauer had a No 4 last night in Africa. Looked like a nice BLD rifle, clean, with dark wood all around. Couldn't see if the bolt, magazine and stock were matching.
    Yeah I saw that, I liked how he seemed very handy at swinging the rifle off his shoulder then slinging it behind him so it was out of his way while he tried to defuse that mine. Guess he practiced that move to look professional.

Another Hollywood Krag, I may have posted this before.

Balder

It's Rick the Librarian!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Balder View Post
    Another Hollywood Krag, I may have posted this before.

Balder

Some engineering outfits were still armed with the Krag during WW1, till sufficient supplies of rifles in .30-06 became available.

I've seen a photo of US troops on manuvers during WW2 in a swampy area carrying Krag Carbines. It was two soldiers humping a large transceiver through shoulder deep water. The side mounted magazine was clearly visible.
    Probably older rifles were used when available to spare the needed more modern rifles from damage when training in very wet areas.

One of my editors was at the big gun show in Baltimore several years ago and there was guy selling an (empty) wooden shipping box marked for "Ten M1899 Krag carbines." He spoke to the seller - a rather elderly gentleman - who told him that he got the box out of the trash pile from his local VFW hall. It seems that they had been using VA issued Krag carbines and blank cartridges for firing salutes at funerals since the 1950s and finally ran out of ammo. The contacted the VA and were told to ship the Krags back (which they did) and they received M1s and a large quantity of .30 blank cartridges in clips.

Ah the stories that box could have told???

Default movie Krags

In the movie "To Kill A Mockingbird", Gregory Peck shoots a rabid
    dog with a .30-40 Krag.

One of many Hollywood oop's, in "Blue Max" at the beginning where George Peppard is a German trench soldier, he is carrying a Enfield No.4 Mk1 complete with bayonet. Wrong army and wrong war..
    I Collect, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    In the movie "To Kill A Mockingbird", Gregory Peck shoots a rabid dog with a .30-40 Krag.
    Yes, my wife and I just watched that movie last week, and I did a little research on the web...which reports that it was a Model 1892.
    I am not a gun collector, but a few fine guns have come to me. Not fine because they are fancy or rare or of high monetary value, but fine because of the links they forge to my past.

The first gun I fired: Model 1898 Krag 30-40
    The first gun I bought: Remington 521-T
    The first gun I inherited: Arisaka T99
    The first gun I ever wanted: 1949 Winchester Model 94

I saw a couple Krags being used by the japanese in one of the shows of the first season of McHale's Navy the other day.

Don't forget that the Germans did use some Krag rifles during WWII
    David

Default hollywood

If I remember correctly, in the John Wayne version of the "The Alamo"
    some of the actors used Remington Rolling Blocks, made to look
    like muzzleloaders.