Czechomania . . . for your enjoyment - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Czechomania . . . for your enjoyment

Fantastic collection! I had never seen a Peruvian Crest before. Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by geladen View Post
    Now those are strange. I suspect the G33/40 with folding stock was a prototype (only) Fallschirmjäger weapon.

The M1908/34 (same as VZ12/33 except for short bayonet lug) was a ZB made short rifle, the "34" for 1934 indicating a short rifle; the M1908 was a DWM (and Orberndorf) made long rifle. I never heard of a ZB made M1908 long rifle, but I suppose anything is possible. It is also true that reference books contain some errors -- but in this case a photo is shown of a M1908 type long rifle with a ZB type bent bolt handle and stock cutout for the bolt handle. I'm guessing that version was offered to Brazil by ZB but not purchased, Brazil choosing the M1908/34 short rifle instead.

There was a "M08/34 .30" short rifle made by Brazil in .30-06 using old M1908 and M1908/34 receivers, of which I have one and also have a M1908 long rifle and a M1908 modified by Brazil to short rifle.

The first was the Orberndorf made M1907 (trials?) long rifle, which I have.

Chances of finding either of the two in the photos you posted are mighty slim.
    Those are indeed Zbrojovka made prototypes. Late John Wall came to the same conclusion. They located in Prague's' military museum. Photos for this particular book were most likely taken before the museum was moved to the new location on the Zizkov Hill national memorial from it's previous location near Prague's Castle. I am not sure if these rifles are on public display. Next time I'll go back I'll check(ok Czech) on it. They also have a K98k in plastic stock, but I am not 100% sure if it is also a Zbrojovka made specimen. Probably not. Book says there are four known surviving examples of these and the plastic stock wasn't good in extreme cold temperatures.

geladen is online now Platinum Bullet Member and Curmudgeon-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by Stanjones45 View Post
    Fantastic collection! I had never seen a Peruvian Crest before. Cool!
    Thanks, the crest in the photo above is on a VZ32. The photos below are FN M1935, M1891, and M1909.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Peruvian FN1935 3.JPG   Peruvian M1891 3.JPG   Peruvian M1909 3.JPG  
    Every post I make is made with a request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

Regards,
    Bill

All my Mausers are here (Index is in post #1):
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?144316-Mausers-Only-Mausers

III, GOA Life

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by paulslunecko View Post
    Those are indeed Zbrojovka made prototypes. Late John Wall came to the same conclusion. They located in Prague's' military museum. Photos for this particular book were most likely taken before the museum was moved to the new location on the Zizkov Hill national memorial from it's previous location near Prague's Castle. I am not sure if these rifles are on public display. Next time I'll go back I'll check(ok Czech) on it. They also have a K98k in plastic stock, but I am not 100% sure if it is also a Zbrojovka made specimen. Probably not. Book says there are four known surviving examples of these and the plastic stock wasn't good in extreme cold temperatures.
    Thanks for the additional info.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

Bill...an excellent collection. You may be the one I need to be asking my questions in the future. you certainly have a vast collection and nothing beats having an actual example to compare

Quote Originally Posted by yoebuff View Post
    Bill...an excellent collection. You may be the one I need to be asking my questions in the future. you certainly have a vast collection and nothing beats having an actual example to compare
    I'm always willing to answer questions although the answer may be "I don't know". I think you would do better to ask a question in a post where you should get answers from multiple advanced collectors. That would generally produce a more complete answer. I usually tend to throw in my zwei pfennig worth on a new post in the Mauser, Czech, and Bayonet forums unless the question has been thoroughly answered and I have nothing to add.

You can always PM me later if your post does not get the complete answer you want.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

Default More Czechs

I believe these are worth to add, not sure about the official designation:
    - Czech Zbrojovka Brno crested Gew.98.
    - Dominican M1953 (M08/53) - Former Brazilian contract VZ.24's were included.
    - Czech Zbrojovka Brno crested Mannlicher M95
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cz98a.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	315.0 KB 
ID:	1380129Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cz98b.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	1380137Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dom53a.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	325.6 KB 
ID:	1380145Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dom53b.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	255.9 KB 
ID:	1380153Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cz95a.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	316.6 KB 
ID:	1380161Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cz95b.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	1380169
    Hungarian Weapons: http://www.hungariae.com

The first one is a VZ98, predecessor to the VZ98/22.

The second one was a M1908/34 before it went to the Dominican Republic. It is not a VZ24.

The third one I don't know for sure. Austrians called it a M95, Czechs probably did the same.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

That is one simply... "totally awesome dude!" display!!!
    Thanks for taking the time and effort to put together and post it up. I'd say it's a great way to spend part of a Sunday.
    "In times of trouble and of war, God and soldiers we adore; When wars are done and wrongs are righted, God's forgotten and the soldier slighted." Ye Olde English proverb; origin unknown
    I make reproduction Yugoslav pre-WWII rifle slings and bayonet frogs.

Thanks, 'nug. I don't have but 6 Yugos, 7 counting the Syrian, but like most of my collection they are one of each model or one of each crest. I can't be any kind of an expert being spread as thin as I am worldwide but since I joined Gunboards in 2009 I have pretty much focused on Mausers.

Here it is Sunday again. Marty suggested in post 35 that a do a thread on FN rifles. Maybe I'll do Belgian and FN . . .

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

Believe it or not, I didn't say anything about Yugos. That's not what this thread is about. I have a very limited collection due to an extremely limited budget; that and I seem to live in a milsurp desert. There are and have been but precious few milsurps at shops and gunshows all over my area and then generally overpriced.

I only have one Czech rifle (unless you accept a refurbished Yugo 24/52C.) But, I picked up a Czech 98/22. It's pretty nice but unfortunately the stock has been sanded. It shoots very well though- typical of the long rifles. It has the Farsi numbers on the rear sight.
    The first two images are of the 24/52
    The rest are the 98/22. I have a bayonet for it. Appropriately enough, the scabbard is Turk and I understand the bayo's markings are appropriate to the rifle's time.

Name:	24-52C 003.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	1381641 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24-52C 001.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	1381649

Name:	a 98-22 015.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	1381665 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a 98-22 033..JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	1381689 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a 98-22 032..JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	1381729 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a 98-22 018..JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	1381697 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a 98-22 014..JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	1381721
    "In times of trouble and of war, God and soldiers we adore; When wars are done and wrongs are righted, God's forgotten and the soldier slighted." Ye Olde English proverb; origin unknown

You didn't say anything about Yugos but your reputation precedes you. You are known as the go-to guy for Yugos. I, on the other hand, know a little about everything and a bit more about all Mausers.

Your M24/52C counts, it was made by ZB. I personally don't much care for the changed crest but that is unmistakably valid history. Changing the crest didn't change the rifle.

Your VZ98/22 looks great. If it is sanded, I can't tell it from the photos. The original bayonet was the VZ23 Short (see photo). If yours fits in a Turk scabbard, that is probably what you have. It should have a rifle serial number on the pommel.

The VZ23 rifle took the VZ23 Long bayonet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turkish VZ98-22 6.JPG  

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

You didn't say anything about Yugos but your reputation precedes you. You are known as the go-to guy for Yugos. I, on the other hand, know a little about everything and a bit more about all Mausers.

Your M24/52C counts, it was made by ZB. I personally don't much care for the changed crest but that is unmistakably valid history. Changing the crest didn't change the rifle.

Your VZ98/22 looks great. If it is sanded, I can't tell it from the photos. The original bayonet was the VZ23 Short (see photo). If yours fits in a Turk scabbard, that is probably what you have. It should have a rifle serial number on the pommel.

The VZ23 rifle took the VZ23 Long bayonet.
    As for the sanded stock, close up you can see the grit lines and in the photo, note the bright cross stock bolt.

Concerning your and my differing levels of knowledge, I'd say you're spot on.

Here's a couple shots of my bayo and scabbard. There is no serial number on it anywhere.

Name:	CZ short bayo 2.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	1385001 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CZ short bayo 5.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	1385009

One of my most accurate rifles is my "a" block vz98/22. I also have an m24/52c and a Romanian refurbished vz24 both of which have had their crests changed post war but certainly part of their history. The Czechs knew how to build fine rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nothernug View Post
    As for the sanded stock, close up you can see the grit lines and in the photo, note the bright cross stock bolt.

Concerning your and my differing levels of knowledge, I'd say you're spot on.

Here's a couple shots of my bayo and scabbard. There is no serial number on it anywhere.

Name:	CZ short bayo 2.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	1385001 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CZ short bayo 5.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	1385009
    Yes, a VZ23 Short bayonet in a Turk scabbard. The scabbard is not out of place since the rifle was sold to Turkey. Most of the VZ23 bayonets had a serial number on the left side of the pommel to the right of the wood grip

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

Question Sling Installation Question

Zbrojovka Brno (ZB) VZ23a Czech German
    Hey, I really enjoy these pictures! I'm particularly fond of Czech made Mausers, though my collection is small. I have a question that this rifle illustrates well. It's part of a more general question, but I'm interested in this particular sling style. It's reproduced in Pakistan, often sold as a "Japanese Arisaka Sling," but I learned years ago on here that it was a Czech sling that the Japanese acquired with Vz.24s captured from China. I've put those replicas on a couple of my Czech rifles, a Persian M98/29 and a Romanian Vz.24. May not be entirely authentic, but I like them. Generally slings on European rifles are carrying slings, not fancy target slings like the US M1907, and they have one end that attaches in a short loop with a stud or a buckle like this one, with the other end fastened to a slide for quick length adjustment. It seems natural to me to attach the tight end to the rear sling swivel, with the slide adjustable long loop toward the front. But looking through Ball's Military Mausers of the World book I see more of them with the fixed attachment to the front loop and the big adjustable loop toward the rear, though there are many pics showing slings attached both ways. This one has the tight buckle end on the front. Is there one way that's more generally proper than the other? Is there a practical reason for it? Is it a preference that varied with different armies or units? Thanks in advance for enlightening me!
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Quote Originally Posted by OldIronMan View Post
    Hey, I really enjoy these pictures! I'm particularly fond of Czech made Mausers, though my collection is small. I have a question that this rifle illustrates well. It's part of a more general question, but I'm interested in this particular sling style. It's reproduced in Pakistan, often sold as a "Japanese Arisaka Sling," but I learned years ago on here that it was a Czech sling that the Japanese acquired with Vz.24s captured from China. I've put those replicas on a couple of my Czech rifles, a Persian M98/29 and a Romanian Vz.24. May not be entirely authentic, but I like them. Generally slings on European rifles are carrying slings, not fancy target slings like the US M1907, and they have one end that attaches in a short loop with a stud or a buckle like this one, with the other end fastened to a slide for quick length adjustment. It seems natural to me to attach the tight end to the rear sling swivel, with the slide adjustable long loop toward the front. But looking through Ball's Military Mausers of the World book I see more of them with the fixed attachment to the front loop and the big adjustable loop toward the rear, though there are many pics showing slings attached both ways. This one has the tight buckle end on the front. Is there one way that's more generally proper than the other? Is there a practical reason for it? Is it a preference that varied with different armies or units? Thanks in advance for enlightening me!
    The sling is a reproduction VZ24 sling. They are usually labeled as 'Czech' slings when sold but IMA sold some with fake Japanese markings as 'Japanese' slings. The sling on my Japanese VZ24 in post #2 is the original Czech sling. The end buckle design was copied from the Austrian M95 sling. In Czech use, the end buckle went on the front swivel according to period photos.

VZ24 rifles were sold to Japan and to China. The Japanese rifles were known to have the VZ24 sling; the Chinese rifles probably also did.

Period photos show Japanese Arisaka rifles with Japanese style (not Czech style) slings having the button end on the front swivel.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

Thank you!
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Hello Folks, does any one has photos on a Mexican Czech 1924 ?
    Mexico purchased 1,000 units back in 1925.

Ill add this to the pile.

...iam pridem, ex quo suffragia nulli uendimus, effudit curas;
    nam qui dabat olim imperium, fasces, legiones, omnia, nunc se
    continet atque duas tantum res anxius optat,
    panem et circenses...

You didn't label it; it's a VZ33. It takes a unique bayonet that is very hard to find.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

Quote Originally Posted by Luisg View Post
    I would be very interested in seeing pictures and markings of these. I have had one or two Mexicans that had Czech parts and I wondered how they got there. Could have been anywhere along the trip.

Mexico purchased 24,000 FN1924 rifles and 4,000 FN1924 carbines. They were all shipped by the fall of 1927.

Mexico is not known to have purchased any VZ24 rifles.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

Fideicomiso Calles - Torreblanca
    Letter dated on June 19, 1925
    from General Francisco Serrano to General Joaquin Amaro
    It refers to a purchase made by the mexican consulate in Germany by 1,000 Czech Mausers thru the Firm Bernhard & Frist Steinhard.
    Unit price: 37 USD.

Fideicomiso Calles - Torreblanca
    Letter dated on June 19, 1925
    from General Francisco Serrano to General Joaquin Amaro
    It refers to a purchase made by the mexican consulate in Germany by 1,000 Czech Mausers thru the Firm Bernhard & Frist Steinhard.
    Unit price: 37 USD.
    That is more likely to have been VZ12/33 rather than VZ24. Mexico is said to have had some VZ12/33 but it has not been confirmed until now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El Salvadoran VZ12-33 2.JPG  

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

thanks, Bill !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12