Default 400$ vz 52/57 ??? good deal?

stock is refinished I hear. barrel looks frosty.

rechambered for the 7.62x39...has 57 on the receiver

wood stock, black coating still on the upper handguard but it can be removed, he says the stock has really nice wood with a couple of the noprmal dings, bayo has a couple pits but in good shape, the rest of the finish is really good with only a couple scratches.

I don't think that is a 52/57, make sure it is before you spend that much.
    Adios Amigos,
    Capt. Zorro

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Zorro View Post
    I don't think that is a 52/57, make sure it is before you spend that much.
    just got a confirm email that the photos are for the x45 chambered version...not the one I would buy.

so those are not the photos....

apparently the x39 for sale has two mags....was coated in the black non skid stuff from century??

but removed...all that's left is the metal handguard covered with the non-skid...

7.62x39...as marked on the receiver...along with SHE 007 (marking)57
    Last edited by bounce; 06-27-2008 at 10:07 AM.

any more input?

Quote Originally Posted by bounce View Post
    any more input?
    Does NOT sound like a 52/57 to me... The Century 52/57 imports were in EXCELLENT condition and did not get the 'truck bedliner' applied to the stocks like the poorer, cracked stock VZ52s.

If it is a TRUE 52/57 it is NOT "rechambered" for the 7.62x39mm cartridge...It was MADE that way.

Far too much money for a "bubba" She rifle

Ol Duke is offline Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer

I haven't heard of any of the 52/57's being "crinkle painted"....and the ones that I've seen have been in very good condition as opposed to the 52's. The 52/57's were barreled in 7.62x39 and not sleeved for it. I think that the mags were totally different or if they had a different follower. I've always wanted one but, they were always in the $500+ range for a honest to goodness receiver marked 52/57.
    Last edited by Ol Duke; 06-27-2008 at 01:47 PM.
    Thanks,
    Ol'Duke

"I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would be an affront to your intelligence."
    George Bernard Shaw

Mihi ignosce. Cum homine de cane debeo congredi.
    (Excuse me. I need to see a man about a dog.)

what of the reported :

does this mean it's not a 52/57?

it's just sleeved?

here is a message from the seller...does it tell ya'll anything different?

turns out it isnt a sleeved rifle after all. Its one that was rechambered for the 7.62x39...has 57 on the receiver and the caliber.

He's working on cleaning the barrel out now...it looked pretty bad, but is cleaning out reasonably.

He might part with a mag, but he said he would take $400 plus shipping for all of it....prefers to sell as a package

I don't know about one being rechambered unless it's sleeved for the smaller round. I'm pretty sure that the actual 52/57 rifles were "REBARRELLED" in 7.62x39 which doesn't incorporate rechambering as the new barrel is chambered in 7.62x39. When someone says it's rechambered...that entails sleeving or milling depending on which way you're going with the size...don't you think? Unless you do bunches of research and have very specific pictures...I'd be careful. Just my .02 worth. I'd stick really close to P.T. Barnum's quote before I parted with that much money, just like Capt. Zorro said.
    Last edited by Ol Duke; 06-27-2008 at 01:56 PM.
    Thanks,
    Ol'Duke

"I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would be an affront to your intelligence."
    George Bernard Shaw

oh yeah, well we're on hold until I can identify what I'm buying.

big question...did the century Black widows come chambered for x39? did they say she 57 on them?

q: she is a factory and 57 is the year?

No, Century rifles were 52's marked SHE 52 and chambered in 7.62x45. SHE is one of the factories that made them and I think VOZ factory made them also as well as the CZ52 pistols and yes, 52 is the year designator. 52/57 rifles denoted that they were rebarreled as an upgrade to a more common caliber with Warsaw Pact nations. From what I've seen of the actual 52/57 rifles, it would have SHE 57 or 58 or 59 along with crossed swords, a proof mark and the S/N and this would be on the left receiver. The right side of the receiver just below the rear sight would be vz 52/57.
    Is there a crosspin under the rear sight? A vz 52 doesn't have a crosspin whereas the vz52/57 does to pin the barrel.
    Go to: www.sturmgewehr.com/bhinton/Czech_Vz52_52.57 and look at all the pictures you want of the difference between a 52 & a 52/57 before you make your decision.

Wise move on holding off until all info is verified.
    Last edited by Ol Duke; 06-27-2008 at 02:32 PM.
    Thanks,
    Ol'Duke

George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by bounce View Post
    what of the reported :

does this mean it's not a 52/57?

it's just sleeved?
    According to the pictures, it shouldn't have what it's chambered for stamped on the receiver if it's original. The import stamp on the barrel will have the proper chambering, though.
    Thanks,
    Ol'Duke

George Bernard Shaw

I owned a bunch of these.
    SHE over
    007 (marking)57 is a date code that was used in the production of the rifles, meaning (Week/day) and 1957 as the year of manufacture.
    AYM was the other manufacturer.
    Unlikely a true 52/57, I sold a number of 7.62x39 barrels though. Sarco used to sell the 7.62x39 barrels and I know of several rifles that had these barrels installed.

Default How to spot a REAL Vz52/57 from 20 Feet Away.......

How to spot a REAL Vz52/57 from 20 Feet Away.......

Guys.....ALL Real Vz52/57's will have a Barrel Pin......Vz52's Never Did.......

Translation.....Barrel Pin = Vz52/57 .....NO Barrel Pin = Vz52

Look

Default 52/57?

If it has 7.62x39 stamped on the right side of the receiver, it is most likely one of those converted by Century by installing a chamber insert. I owned one at one time. The magazine was the original designed for 7.62x45 and did not reliably feed x39.

The 52/57 magazines have a straight floorplate while the old style x45 mags have an upward bend on the front portion. 52/57 mags are going for $60+.

John F.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Duke View Post
    No, Century rifles were 52's marked SHE 52 and chambered in 7.62x45. SHE is one of the factories that made them and I think VOZ factory made them also as well as the CZ52 pistols and yes, 52 is the year designator.

Wise move on holding off until all info is verified.
    Where were the factories located? Also, were there any others which manufactured the rifles?

There have been several VZ52's that have been converted to 7.62x39 by either setting the barrel back or putting on an x39 barrel. IMO these would be worth less than a standard untouched VZ52, and much less than a true 52/57. A rechambered 52 I would not pay more than $200 for personally.

I used the pictures and called the owner....

the barrel is not pinned. thiere is no pin on the front receiver

it says x39 on the receiver

it has the bedliner paint on the top side of the wooden stock in front of the sight leaf...as well as the metal handguard...(rhino linered).

he says the stock does not look like it was refinished...or that the bedliner stuff was removed from the stock..but this is probably wrong correct?

and so now..this rifle is either a sleeved /52 or Century moved the barrel back?

the owner said he cannot identify a sleeve in the chamber...is there a way to identify the sleeve?

if the barrel was moved back 6mm...then the entire length of the rifle will be 6mm short correct?

how many inches long is the regular version?

thanks for all your help guys...almost home on making an offer or walking away....almost threw 400$ at this gun...jeez.

did century international arms put their import mark on the bottom of the muzzle / barrel?

how did century move the barrel back 6mm?? unpinned correct?? or did they pin it?
    Last edited by bounce; 06-29-2008 at 06:29 PM.

anyone?

Default 52/57 It is not.

I've owned the sleeved ones that were marked 7.62 X 39. I doubt the "Wizards" at Century set any barrels back. The real original 52/57's have the crosspin. On the sleeved one I had you could look in the chamber and see the outlines of the sleeve. I, personally would not buy a sleeved one at any price. I've heard tales of them ejecting with the spent cartridge and then another cartridge loads. Bad news.
    Century was not the only importer that had these for sale. Samco Global Arms imported a number of these. My Samco VZ 52 was marked AYM. I've never heard of any of Samco's being painted with that black goop.
    I certainly wouldn't pay $ 400 for one that's sleeved. It's collector value is not much. Century sold a bunch of the 7.62 X 45's in various stages of completion for U Fixum prices. Quite a few people bought several and took parts off to make single complete guns. Some they sold were complete except missing stocks, had broken stocks, or various pieces were missing. It's not usually a good idea to buy a pieced together semi auto.

Quote Originally Posted by SAWMan View Post
    Samco Global Arms imported a number of these. My Samco VZ 52 was marked AYM. .
    Samco had VZ52s for sure..... I think Century was the only US importer of true VZ52/57s.

Default Vz 52 and 52/57

I own a large selection of these interesting rifles, mostly new-mint (the 52) and ex-Iraq (well before Desert Storm)the 52/57s.

The differentiation given is correct...Factory Vz52, NO Barrel Pin; Factory Vz52/57 Barrel Pin. Also as noted mag design difference, and different Paint finishes etc.

Factories: she, aym, and rid.
    Serial Numbers: Vz52 have a single letter plus digits, Vz52/57 have Two letter ( one upper case, one lower case) plus digits.

So if it doesn't have these features, it is a Importer Bubba or simply mislabelled....the "7.62x39" is NOT an original marking, but importer/bubba applied.

Regards, Doc AV
    AV Ballistics

Quote Originally Posted by DocAV View Post
    I own a large selection of these interesting rifles, mostly new-mint (the 52) and ex-Iraq (well before Desert Storm)the 52/57s.

The differentiation given is correct...Factory Vz52, NO Barrel Pin; Factory Vz52/57 Barrel Pin. Also as noted mag design difference, and different Paint finishes etc.

Factories: she, aym, and rid.
    Serial Numbers: Vz52 have a single letter plus digits, Vz52/57 have Two letter ( one upper case, one lower case) plus digits.

So if it doesn't have these features, it is a Importer Bubba or simply mislabelled....the "7.62x39" is NOT an original marking, but importer/bubba applied.

Regards, Doc AV
    AV Ballistics
    I've not familar with the 'rid' factory. Could you please tell me more about it?

Default "rid" Factory

"rid" is in the sequence of Czech codes (s-1, h+1,e-1) using the letter shift system alternately that the Czechs used ; similarly, a+1, y-1,m+1 == bxn (the code of S&B, Vlasim)
    and s+1 etc, gives tgf, the first "Code" used by the Czechs, which actually means something (Tchekisches Gewehr Fabrik, German for "Czech Rifle factory" applied to East German Contract Kar98k made in 1948-50s (bayonets also)...the rest of the codes only came "ON LINE" in the latter part of 1951-52 ( other codes used: "czo").

As to the actual Factory Locations and ID, the only ones I know are "bxn" for Sellier and Bellot at Vlasim, and possibly "she" being the old CZ Pistol facility at Strakonice. And of course "tgf" being ZB at Brno. The others I don't know, although one of them is possibly the newer (late 1950s) factory of CZB at Uhersky Brod, in eastern Czech regional area( just this side of Slovakia) (UB== "Town of the Hungarians").

Any further info linking codes to actual factories?

regards,
    Doc AV
    AV Ballistics.

the $400 dollar rifle has a serial number of H xxxxxx....single letter then some numbers....so..

this rifle in good shape should not go for more than 250$ I suppose from ya'lls input.

unless I really really really wanted it...which I don't.

thanks for the lesson too...that' is some serious knowledge from the lot of you.

B

Default SP Ammunition

Buffalo Arms actually makes 123 Gr SP Sptz Boxer Primed rounds for about $47 /20rds.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,5326.html
    Last edited by kwells; 08-19-2008 at 07:54 PM.

I believe there is interesting story about the code markings, unfortunally there was no system in adding the concrete places
    rid is CZ Strakonice
    she is CZ Uhersky Brod, is not town of Hungarian its Ugrian ford
    aym - PS Povazska Bystrica ,Slovakia
    bxn - Sellier Bellot, Vlasim
    tgf - Zbrojovka Brno (it doesnt mean Tschechisches gewehr fabrik)
    czo - is other ammunition plant? probably Slavicin corection is for Zbrojovka Vsetin
    PS all codes were destined in 1948, only some plants started to use it later
    Last edited by AndyB; 08-21-2008 at 01:49 AM.