Default mosin replacement barrel?

I am looking for a new replacement barrel for a mosin. Does anybody even make barrels that will fit? How much money and how difficult would it be to have a barrel converted to fit a mosin. I want to retain the original caliber. I have a barreled receiver with a horrible bore I want to do something with.

Kevin, which model?
    Nothing worthwhile ever comes easily.

sorry, just a standard round receiver 91/30. i'm toying with the idea of copying the TKIV 85 rifle to some extent. no matter what, i want to make some form of accurized rifle as the barrel is crap and there is nothing special about the receiver. just figured what the hell, might as well make something fun out of it as it only cost me $30. i plan on more than a standard sporter though so i would like a nice barrel.
    Last edited by n10sivern; 06-27-2008 at 12:41 PM.

Cheapest bet is the bbl'd receivers you see for sale on auctions. Is there something about the receiver you want to keep?
    Nothing worthwhile ever comes easily.

#1- IIRC the Mosin Nagants were designed/mfgd originally using English Machinery and use Whitworth Thread Standards, size/pitch etc. Somewhat obsolete today being neither Metric, DIN,etc or SAE standards although some are "close". For a bbl I would think "close" is not a good idea. DoCAV has addressed this several times in the past. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by bones92 View Post
    Is there something about the receiver you want to keep?
    no not really. it originally came with some other parts that i needed as replacements. had a mismatched bolt, and the magazine box. i just wanted to use the receiver because it was there. as for the bbl'd receivers on gunbroker, i kinda wanted to stay away from them as there is no definite on the bore condition and how it will shoot and i feel that a replacement barrel gives a little bit more of a guarantee that it will group appropriately. was just an idea but if it will be near impossible, then i'll forget about it.
    Last edited by n10sivern; 06-27-2008 at 01:02 PM.

Might have something Kevin. Email me.
    befus

I have also toyed with the idea of making a Mosin Nagant sniper like the Finnish M85.

After talking things over with my local gunsmith, who specializes in this sort of thing, I found that it would not be technically difficult, just expensive and time consuming.

One possibility would be to order a blank bull barrel in .30 caliber, such as those used to make barrels for .308 and 30-06. This would let you use the greater variety of .30 caliber bullets that are available, and also lets you choose the twist rate to fit the expected bullet weight and velocity. You can also choose the barrel length you want, overall weight, and where the balance point should be. You would have to handload, though, as the bore would be tight for standard 7.62x54R bullets. But, since most sniper rifles work with handloads anyway, this might not be a major problem.

The most difficult part would be locating an articulated stock that is inletted for the Mosin Nagant. You may have to have a stockmaker build a stock for you.

Once you have the barrel and stock, you can begin to fit the two together, deciding on things like barrel diameter, taper, fluting, stock inletting, and bedding.

Finally, fitting the bolt, sights, scope, and all the various accessories, blueing the metal, finishing the wood, etc.

Not a weekend project by any means, but if you have the time and money to put into it, I would say it is very possible.

Buy a new 91/30 one and steal the barrel off it if you can't find a barreled action or just a barrel for cheaper then 75.00
    Owner/Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

Default why are barrels abbreviated bbl ?

BUY few. MILSURP.COM has lots of MN barrels of all types and quality, at good prices. I have ordered a few. I have a 91/30 barrel in super shape - new, if you are interested.

thanks bur i just bought a different barrel'd receiver

Someone on Surplusrifle did indeed rebarrel an action and make a bull-barrel TKIV-esque sporter. I don't recall where he got his barrel, but it wasn't too expensive.

Kevin.

Since you have already purchased a new barreled receiver for yr project, you can try to sell or trade the old receiver, perhaps here on the Gunboards WTS/WTT Forum, or perhaps to a firm such as SARCO or Numrich/Gun Parts Corp in New York, etc.

A thought that might work for a bad MN bore would be to create a "wildcat" cartridge by having the old barrel bored out & rifled to 8mm, 338 or perhaps 358 caliber, but keeping the 54R case and necking up as required. That would be a handloading proposition, of course, but I think such might be feasible. I believe that shot-out 30-06 barrels have been given new life as 8mm-06s or 35 Whelens, for example.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaarok View Post
    Someone on Surplusrifle did indeed rebarrel an action and make a bull-barrel TKIV-esque sporter. I don't recall where he got his barrel, but it wasn't too expensive.
    thanks, i gotta try ot find that thread now. i've been playing and trying to recreate the trigger assembly is a beatch. i still haven't figured out how to make the buffer/barrel mount or figured out exactly how it attached to the barrel. definitely an interesting design.

I would love to see a Mosin done up with a match barrel!!! Just to see what sort of accuracy you could get out of it. The M85 project sounds like a good one. I saw the boys in Finland had some of the stocks for sale on Ebay about a year back. If I could get onto a stock, I think I would have a go at it. I have a couple of target barrels that could be profiled and fitted and I know a gunsmith that doesnt mind having a go at something different.
    Last edited by Desky85; 07-05-2008 at 12:42 AM.

thats my problem with the barrel. there are no local gunsmiths that i'd take any of my rifles to, much less expect to fit a barrel correctly to a mosin. i think i'll just stick with the original barrel and see what i can come up with. just bought a walnut gun stock blank......will be a LOTW OF WORK but should be fun.

i searched over on surplusrifleforums for multiple different combinations of words and couldn't find the post about somebody having a match/bull/heavy barrel for their mosin.