Gunboards Forums banner

where should we discuss modern sniper rifles ?? is here good ??

11K views 81 replies 19 participants last post by  ar10ar15man 
#1 ·
title says it all.
i am a bench rest shooter(600/1000yd) looking to hear opinions on 30 cal sniper rifles.
i know the 338 lm is good, but not sure i want to go that big.

#2 ·
Howdy, ar. Hope you are well.

Vic, and this forum, are pretty flexible and tolerant. We like accurate rifles. Rifles used as snipers, or considered by a military are best, but I like them all.

I was considering posting some shooting from my Gammo and Swiss Army/Chinese pellet guns, not to mention my Red Ryder. These are extremely helpful for practice IMO, since I can shoot them in the yard. I am betting a small critter is toast at 25 yds with most of mine, and probably at 50 yds with good pellets. With 1000-1400'/sec., these are pretty serious snipers for some uses. They are sinking into Pine 2X8's at 50 yds and concrete blocks at 28 yds. Supersonic with these is strange. The crack is something you gotta get used to, especially with the suppressed guns. Current Red Ryders are way better than what I grew up with and are a threat at 25 yds, no question.

#3 ·
i am looking at 300 win mag and as an alternative 300 wsm in rifles
built beyond "hunting" standards.
while my 20 lb 300 win mag shoots very well off a bench it is not practical
as a field/sniper rifle.
i doubt i can afford an accuracy int 300 win mag like the SEALS got
a few years back, but would like to look at a bolt gun that utilizes
modern components like the new mil 300 wm round, or close to it.
800 to 1200 plus yards with kill zone accuracy.

so speak up....

#4 ·
I check this topic quite often, and it is almost totally an mn site. I too am interested in other rifles, as I have an M1D, a DPMS LR308 set up for long range shooting, and a custom heavy barrel Sako, all for shooting out in the desert where I can shoot at long ranges. So, I would like to see more on all kinds of sniper rifles.

#5 ·
"Bench rifle" vs "Sniper rifle" ? Two different animals!
Long range with a 15lb bench rifle, set up in a rather fixed position is a bit different from something you have to lug around, shoot on the fly, from unusual and awkward positions.
All depends on the "use" of your chosen "tool".

#6 · (Edited)
Lots of us have built up versions of modern sniper rifles, some going retro to emulate the M40 Remingtons, some going that direction but with more modern stocks and scopes.

My own most recent excursion into such a rifle is my factory heavy barrel Remington 700 with the newest adjustable-to-next-to-nothing Timney trigger design added and a nice new Bell and Carlson stock, topped with Nikon optics with their custom dial-in turret built for Sierra MatchKing Federal .308 Match as the turret design plus a good bipod and a bolt handle modification. This is sort of an M40 concept with off-the-shelf modern parts.

This one will do almost 1/2 MOA at 100 yards with .308 Federal Match (or my reload copy of it) and stretches well to 650 yards, the realistic accurate limit of my eyes with that 14X scope. At over 12 pounds, though, it is not fun to lug around for long.

I think you would do well choosing .300 Win Mag for the longer range you want -a .338 Lapua is a real kicker to shoot and the muzzle brake makes everyone at the range hate you. I shot next to one a few weeks back -the blast nearly blinded me with dust and shook the bench every time the guy shot. Nasty. Also, he couldn't hit for beans, but that was his fault. Expensive and not pleasant to shoot, even if you reload. I wanted one, but not so much now.

#8 ·
current rifle as used by some SEALS...not the AI.

this is a list of the mk13 300 win mag that is beleived to have been used by chris kyle( american sniper)

Kyle mentioned in the book that he ran his .300 Win Mag suppressed. The .300 Win Mag Mk-13 was designed to use the same suppressor as his Mk-11 (aka SR-25 7.62 NATO), which was the Knights Armament Mk-11 Suppressor.

anyone shoot anything like this ??

#11 · (Edited)
I guess we can't discuss anything other than mn snipers. View attachment 1290905 View attachment 1290913 View attachment 1290921

Wrong! bring the all on.

Any clues on how to get this DPMS 308(why the heck they do not put an exact model number on the rifle is mind boggling) to shoot better would be appreciated. It is an "enhanced precision", heavy fluted and floated barrel. Harris Bipod, stock pretty much like the Sniper tested rifle, etc.. My Oracle in 308 is shooting as well. This sucker(best rifle on their website) retails for $2700 ish and even Fed. GMM is not getting it where it should be. They claim they will not shoot well till broken in, like 50 plus rounds. So far, I wish I would have sunk bigger money in an SR-25, which is what the Military did.

I have SR-25 experience and it is an amazing sniper/DM or whatever they want to call it. About half MOA with Fed GMM is what I expect and get. Range at the time was limited to 300 yds but it would do it off a bipod to that range.

Nobody will deny the M1D is a sniper.

AR, I would build one as close to Kyle's as I could afford.

You know what is up with the current US sniper load in 300WM. Mine is a Savage Fluted Stainless Laminated stock and it outshoot my Rem. 700 Varmit Flutted heavy barrel with the bells and whistles so I traded the Rem.. Both had Leupolds, 6.5-20X44 AO, target knobs, etc..

I am not a huge 300WM guy but the new loads are bringing it around.

The tests by the US Military are amazing. The 338LM kicked so much butt but the 300 WM was in inventory. They opted for a cheaper round for the M2010. Special Ops elected to have interchangeable 308, 300 WM and 338LM. Man do I want one of those and tried to buy one.

#13 · (Edited)
the current 300 win mag round moves kill zone out to 1500 yds plus, up from the 1200 yds with the 190 gr load.

backing up i have several rifles in smaller 30 cal.
an armalite ar10(T)...shoots 1/2 moa with 175's no problem..but it is not really "long" range.

the rifle below my sig line is a shooter . a 91/30 cut down/muzzle brake/bedded/timney trigger/scope.
it shot.....0.25 at 100 with sie 174's. that was actually a reduced load. a full load will out run a 308 win 175 by 5-10%.
the advantages of modern powder and large cases. still not really a long range gun.

i am thinking of doing the mk13 with a custom action( kelbly's tactical), mc millian stock, krieger bbl, 12-42 scope( because i have one).
would love to hear more on civilian use of the new mil 300 wm load.

#15 ·
If you wanna stick with 308 win. Bang for the buck, Ruger Precision rifle. They also offer it in 6.5 creedmoor.

Tikka TRG, as mentioned before, is also a good option. Milprileb was getting 2700fps with 190s with his handloads with his TRG aka "DeathStar."

Another 308 option. M40a1/3/5.

#17 ·
Sorry, ar10ar15man. Your first and third post said "opinions on 30 cal sniper rifles." Just trying to help.

Out of curiosity. Why do you not consider 308 win long range? It'll go just fine to at least 1000. I'd consider 1000 yards long range. But that's just me.

A 300wm option would be to build up a m24 and chamber it in 300wm. From what I understand. They built the m24 on a long action so they could rebarrel it in 300wm.

#18 ·
DPMS LR308

I got mine ten years ago, after a one year wait. 24" cryoed fluted barrel with M60 type flash hider. I trained as an M60 gunner way, way back when, so it's nostalgia thing. Target trigger, ACE fixed stock. I put an IOR Valdada 3-10 IR scope on it--amazing scope. I plink, I don't target shoot or hunt I mostly shoot vegetables or fruit. Shooting golf balls at 110 yards with surplus Lake City 7.62 is not a challenge at all, and furthest it has been shot is 625 yards at pumpkins. I don't shoot it as well as friends at that distance, but they have no problem. My SAKO is 308. It has had the barrel reshaped three times. Started as a Douglas air gauged at 26" and 1,75" diameter with a compensator on it. So heavy and unbalanced it fell over on the bipod. Cut it back to 24" because the comp blew dirt all over the place. Tired of the weight and unbalance so had it reduced to heavy varmint contour. 3-9 Shepherd scope. At first shot with US national match and got 1/2" at 100 yards, but have long since run out of it. Now get 1 to 1 1/4" with surplus 7.62. M1D on a Winchester receiver--too valuable to shoot anymore, so not sure why I still keep it until I see the prices on high end AR15s. I used to shoot 1 gallon milk jugs at different distances, probably no more than 300 yards. My Dad, a 23-year marine vet, could easily outshoot me with my Korean era rebuilt M1. I'm a lousy shot really, and eyes are not getting any better.

#19 · (Edited)
My DPMS is a REPR-B or something like that. It is not living up to expectations so far. Scope is a very old Japanese Tasco 3-9TR drums for elevation compensation. I suspect that they had the Redfield accurange in mind when they made that one. I wanted a quick acquisition scope on the DPMS 308 Oracle so I got a Nikon with the Reticle giving elevation compensation out to 500 meters and no touch. Oddly, it is like a WW2 Japanese scope in a lot of ways, just not as complete. Old is new again. The Oracle is exceeding expectations so far, especially for the cost.

Snipers hide went down the tubes IMO.

Attachments

#22 ·
i have a brand new 300 wsm 700 cdl sf for sale.
the original rifle i got the same day as my lymann bore cam,
the chamber was cut off center.
8 weeks later and a stack of lies from them they shipped
me a NEW rifle..in a plain brown wrapper, not in a factory box.

the rifle will not be shot nor will i look at the chamber/bore....it is for sale at a loss.
educations cost money, i learned.
it was the first new rifle i had bought in 20 years..and it was a joke.
i'll keep building my own.
by the way is only $850..i paid close to $1000, msrp is $1180

#21 ·
if you look at the military,
they consider the 308 an 800 yard rifle for sniping,
the 300 wm with the old ammo was considered a 1200 yd rifle
and with the new ammo a 1500 yd rifle.

they jump to the 338 lm after that and the 50 bmg for large mechanical
targets.

yes longer shots have been made in each caliber, but i have shot enough
to know i do not want to try making 1200 yd shots with a 308...and i already have them.
i was hoping to hear from others that have shot 1000 plus.

so i have settled on a clone of the mk-13.
ordered a bbl blank today....because it was in stock.
will get an a-5 from mcmillian on order..in clone config.
talk to stiller about a reciever, and find out what i can
on what chamber reamer they use.
i have a 9" thunder beast suppressor so will use it.
'''
don't stop talking

#23 ·
i have questions on the list i posted for the make up of the mil 300 wm rifle.

it lists a rem 700 la...but i have been told it is actually a stiller action....anyone know the truth ??

they list an a2 stock from mcmillian, but again i have been told an a5...

any help out there ??

#27 · (Edited)
You have it and probably do not need help in the accuracy department.

The M2010 is a 0.8 MOA rifle with US Match Ammo. They closed it in a bit with the newer 220 grain, IIRC, load. Ron said they were having Ammo issues.

The two Remington reps told me that the new Modular system for Special Ops(308, 300WM and 338 LM) is near this accuracy range and acceptable barrel accuracy life is 700ish rounds. I think it is a safe bet that this is what Kyle was dealing with. They claim even Carlos H. had a 2 MOAish rifle with M72 ammo, ammo rated at just under MOA most years. I suspect that both shooters were able to maximize his results as outstanding marksmen. That is the military and it has not changed that much since my time in SF 40 years ago. No way can the Military do better than 0.5 MOA IMO on its best day, and I was there for the International sniper match about 2 years ago. They do amazing things with less than the best stuff.

There are posts on this forum showing the results for the US sniper trials. The 300WM was a 0.8 MOA rifle, the M2010. The 338LM was 0.6 and the 50 cal. was 2.5. The 338 kicked butt in any reasonable comparison. The 300WM was pretty anemic and the 308 pretty much done deal at 800 meters. The 338LM was the clear winner for anyone that can read the tests. The military went with the 300WM since it was much cheaper, and it is, and it is in inventory. Now they have a better load.

I have had a 2010 in hand. It is heavy, like 15lbs ish. Sniper rifles are no longer light. You should see the Modular system. I suspect it is near 100 lbs with all the stuff. It is not intended to be toted but it needs to be nearby. Select your cal for the mission, then go for it. Barret, as well as Artic Warfare, was at the match and vendor area. They have a modular system to compete with the estimated $25K for the Remington system. I would contact them if you want something ready to go. They would sale the system to the public, Remington will not. A few 2010s were awarded and sold to "special folks" but no more are to be sold.

I have always like the Artic Warfare in 338. That is where I would go. On a budget, Savage is the most bang for the buck IMO.

The civilian market, and builders, can out do the Military guys for the most part. The government is not exactly efficient and the builders are not gunsmiths with 50 years experience(they do an amazing job though with the Army largely relying on the contractor and the USMC being a bit more independent). JMO.

#28 ·
Amazing discourse, actually talking long range and accuracy, jezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz what took you guys so long ? This is great stuff, shooting 1200 and beyond.

I feel like most of the guys on the Collectors board..the "all the way to 50 yd accuracy " types....I shoot to 1000 and that ain't peanuts to those going to 1200 and beyond. I will now sound like one of them 50 yd shooters & snivel that I don't have a range that goes out 1200 and beyond.

Well, I don't and my rifle and load won't go beyond 1000 yds so I will join the 50 yd shooters and be irrelevant in shooting real long range distance. Its okay, I know 1000 is just 10 football fields and it ain't nothing to shoot that short distance.

I do have a snow shovel to reload mag cases and I do have a 300 Win Mag and a 8mm Rem Mag rifle (s), so when I grow up, I will find a range and press out of the 1000 yd "T Ball" league and join you big dawgs.

#29 · (Edited)
some notes to 300 wm owners.....
DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.
the mk 248 mod 1 ammo is not your average 300 wm ammo.
its COAL is 3.50 vs std 3.340
its pressure limit is 68,100 vs the 62366 of std wm. so plus p
( they adjust powder volume to provide desired vel)
with the bullet(220 sir mk) it will chamber in std chambers,
they do have a special reamer, but i do not know how SPECIAL.

i will use a mcmillian a2 or a5 stock( about $900 complete), not the current $1600 stock.
i will likely use a 12-42x nf with tilted rings and base to provide enough elevation for 1500 yds.
not sure if i will use a stiller tac300 or a kelbly tactical action. phone calls tomorrow.
bottom metal/mags to be determined.
thunderbeast 9" suppressor .

i have been to snipers hide. they have helped but a strange layout.
some guy named mike radford post there.

#32 ·
so here is the list so far
lija mk13 mod 7 bbl blank, in stock,shipped
mcmillian a5 stock with adj cheek and lop spacers, 4-6wk out
stiller tac300 action with 20moa rail, in stock
stiller bottom metal with ai mag, in stock
thunderbeast 9" suppressor, waiting on paper work
i'll use a timney trigger as i am a dealer.
need to order a reamer...
i'll start with any scope for load development,
but plan on a 5.5-22x56 nf in the end.

this will be a loose copy of a mk 13
say mk 13 mod me

#34 · (Edited)
2 cents/price/performance in bolt rifles
- as mike said the best deal low end rifle in the market is the savage . (Honorable mention to the tika)
- next retail step up imo.. sako 85 300 wm...or the sako 85 long range in 338 lapua $2300..
- best custom.. tactical operations inc hands down , in any caliber...308-338.............. $5000+/-..have used two or three over the years and they all do a remarkable job down range.

Mike ..before you buy a sr-25 . Shoot a Les Baer sniper or match in 308 .

I have not shot a ruger precision..yet

#36 ·
2 cents/price/performance in bolt rifles
- as mike said the best deal low end rifle in the market is the savage . (Honorable mention to the tika)
- next retail step up imo.. sako 85 300 wm...or the sako 85 long range in 338 lapua $2300..
- best custom.. tactical operations inc hands down , in any caliber...308-338.............. $5000+/-..have used two or three over the years and they all do a remarkable job down range.

Mike ..before you buy a sr-25 . Shoot a Les Baer sniper or match in 308 .

+1 I have a Les Baer Match Sniper. Two test targets that came with the rifle both had 5 shot groups 100 yard groups that was one ragged hole that was just slightly bigger than the 308 diameter bullet.

#35 ·
or learn to make your own, cheaper, as or more accurate, and a lot of personal satisfaction.

guys, i say it every chance i get, so i hope some of you understand how good it FEELS.
I built a 6mm dasher bench rest rifle for 600/1000 br shooting.
in my VERY FIRST 600 yd match, i took FIRST place in score. it just happened to be
the NBRSA NATIONALS.
serious personal satisfaction.
check out jr college's for shop classes...mill lathe

#38 ·
a little status report
snipers hide is pretty much a joke.
as an example, i asked a simple straight forward question.
over TWENTY replies that had NOTHING to do with the question.

back to mk13 mod ME.
STOCK IS HERE(MCMILLAN A5 PLUS)
BBL IS HERE
TRIGGER IS HERE
STILLER TAC 300 W/ BOTTOM METAL AND MAG ARE HERE
5.5-22X56 NF SCOPE IS HERE
BRASS BULLET POWDER AND PRIMER..HERE
waiting on reamer from ptg.

so i built a 6br last week...p'dog rifle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.