where should we discuss modern sniper rifles ?? is here good ?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: where should we discuss modern sniper rifles ?? is here good ??

believe it is the patent infringement version,
    prior to lawsuit and settlement.

yes i think if you buy the 20" and then buy a krieger 24" ar10 bbl
    you would have a very nice rifle.

this is what it will look like after the salt bath nitrating.
    40 rounds thru it, shooting right at .66 at 200 yds.
    ( the ammo spec is 4.5 for 300 and 7" at 600)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000446.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	310.8 KB 
ID:	1560409

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I own a beautiful Remington M24 r sniper rifle would love to talk with more owners. Also if anyone owns or has an extra day optic case that they'd like to sell I'm very interested in one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20161012_212846.jpg   20170104_133740.jpg  
    Last edited by TANKERFRANK; 03-31-2017 at 02:53 AM.
    FRANK A,U.S.ARMY
    3/3/33 ARMOR The MEN OF WAR
    1/1/34 ARMOR The CENTURIONS
    Ayers Kaserne & Ft. Riley
    Service-Connected Disabled Veteran.

Take a picture and start a thread. Lots of Remington precision shooting and sniper fans here.

Quote Originally Posted by TANKERFRANK View Post
    I own a beautiful Remington M24 r sniper rifle would love to talk with more owners. Also if anyone owns or has an extra day optic case that they'd like to sell I'm very interested in one.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalin's Ghost View Post
    Take a picture and start a thread. Lots of Remington precision shooting and sniper fans here.
    I do have pictures and questions on the sniper Forum the M24 is a sniper rifle and that's why I have pictures and comments
    FRANK A,U.S.ARMY
    3/3/33 ARMOR The MEN OF WAR
    1/1/34 ARMOR The CENTURIONS
    Ayers Kaserne & Ft. Riley
    Service-Connected Disabled Veteran.

My favorite 308 sniper rifles are:
    Bolt Action AIAW and TRG22
    Semi Auto Les Baer Match Sniper and LaRue OBR

The subject of "Sniper Rifles" always seems to evoke a mixture of emotions and highly opinionated thoughts.... So, here are mine. A sniper rifle needs to fit the shooter, the situation, and the setting, ie, the terrain. There is no one perfect rifle, for any call out, or battle zone. A sniper needs a variety of options, just like you have tools in the tool box. Yes, some tools are adjustable for several different applications, but not perfect for all. I hear bolt guns only, by the purist, but then for the guys that are down range, give them a auto loader any day. I am no "expert" in the field, and barely a novice, but I have learned that depending on the call, a compact auto loader is the ticket. Easier to fit in a urban hide, can be utilized as a entry weapon etc.. But out in the mountains, an 18-24" barreled bolt "seems" to be the choice, in a magnum caliber. I have carried all the rifles pictured, and shot some in competitions too. The EBR is a 16" Sage stocked heavy chunk of metal. Accuracy? Mediocre. Cool? Yeah, heck yeah, but that does not save lives when the cold bore is off. It absorbs heat as bad as it does cold. Wet fingers, cold day, yeah, you freeze to it! The DPMS LAR with a 18" Proof Research barrel, same temperature issues, but oh my, I would take this into the zombie hordes, and walk away with a smile. The Savage BVSS? cold bore through a casing at 100. Dang, but its heavy, long and unwieldy! The 18" .223 Wylde MK 12 type clone, pack it all week, with twice the ammo, and still drill neat little holes. The M14 clone, just fun to shoot, and reaches out better than the EBR. So you don't take a Barrett in .50 to deal with a hostage, but it is nice to have one when the bad guy is a distance out, barricaded etc.. like the .338 or .300 Win. No perfect pill pushers, but they all have their place. Just have plenty of appropriate tools for the job at hand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4482.jpg   IMG_4493.jpg  
    Last edited by Belt Feeder; 09-28-2016 at 10:09 PM. Reason: My poor typing!

an update
    the original load, which i was working with uses h1000 powder.
    this is because mil ammo has to be american powder..in case of war.
    since i do not have that limitation, and was having hard bolt lift trying to
    match their data, i decided to try some reloader. as luck would have it
    reloader 26 had hit the market and i was able to find a one pounder.

gentlemen this stuff is AMAZING!
    i can do an honest 3047 fps with a 220 sie mk from a 26.5" bbl !
    i have backed off to an even 3000 fps and shooting just over .3 at 100 yards.
    i still have no long range shooting yet. my first match is the middle of next month.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1000468.jpg  

shot the rifle at "short" distance today.( 900/1000yards).
    i had calculated data from jbm and it was near but not close.
    not sure why. dialed it in and shot consistent in low wind.
    moved to 1000 and used the diff between the jbm 900/1000
    calculations and was right on.
    with these known shots , i am hoping to be able to
    dial in the rest....out to 2000 yards.

I wish our crappy state would have more 600/1000 yard ranges. Not every club has even 200 yard lanes. The furthest i can try my snipers is 200 yards unless i'm willing to drive few hours
    Quote Originally Posted by ar10ar15man View Post
    i am a bench rest shooter(600/1000yd) looking to hear opinions on 30 cal sniper rifles.

i have been shooting nosler brass, reloader 26, smk 220 and fed 210 primer.
    the primer has done fine, but i thought i should try the 210 match and maybe even a
    magnum primer.
    so first i cut my load by .4 and shot a 9 shot string to see how the group and the rifle
    behaved in a quick 9 shot string. bingo all went well.
    so back with 5 shots each with large rifle match(210m) and large rifle mag(215)
    for an unknown reason the 210m group was not a group...velocity was up, and i may
    have just gone out of tune. the 215's shot very well and velocity was up more.
    this was all in brass on its second firing. bullet is at the lands so neck tension should
    not be an issue. head scratching time. went back today and shot the lot of NEW brass
    i will be shooting the match with. 5 in the same load with the 215's and 5 down .4..just 'cause.
    the original load with the 215's shot well with a single digit es and 3000 fps for an average.
    the 5 down .4 also shot well.
    i think i am good to go. no bolt lift issues no pressure signs. match in one week.

the wind is not MY friend.
    we were suppose to have mild 5-6 mph winds for my first shoot.
    how about 10-15 !
    targets were at 875 to 2023 yards.
    close targets are small and get larger at about 1600 yards.
    but they are hung as diamonds which kills a close shot.
    i did terrible, but i can claim it was my first.lol
    wind doping was more luck than hard numbers.
    some holds were in excess of 10 FEET into the wind.
    i'll go back it was fun, but my body aches!

As a non sequitor but somewhat related to this discussion I recently attended Pete Gould's "Accuracy First" long range class. Really took all the mystery out of long range shooting. Using an AR-10 type rifle, optic with a Horus reticle, kestrel ballistic calculator and .308 Federal OTM ammo I was easily hitting e-type silhouettes at 1200m and a 5x5' plate at one mile range.

Made me appreciate that if you have decent command of the fundamentals of shooting, a 1 MOA rifle, a properly zeroed optic, a scope level and good ballistic calculator there is no real secret to long range shooting. It's all just an algebra equation, and the more variables you fill in before squeezing the trigger the easier the task is. Great course and great instructor.

well the gun is under 1 moa with the load.
    there is a secret. the ability to read the wind.
    wind speed and actual adjustments were not the same.
    the guys that shoot this match were amazed at what they needed
    for windage. a 10 mph wind was requiring 1.5 the value to get hits.
    a 5x5 FOOT plate would have been easy for us. our 1 mile plate
    is 18 inches square..pretty much 1 moa. our targets get larger as we move out
    but the 875/991 are about 15 in, 3,4,5 are about 24" and 6,7,8,9 are about 30"
    the 10th is at just over 2000 yards and aprox 36". only the 1 mile is square, the
    875 is round, the rest are diamonds which truly reduce the hits.

Totally agree the ability to read wind from mirage, vegetation and other environmental factors is what ultimately separates really good shooters from merely decent ones.

That being said a good ballistic calculator with an accurate wind meter takes a lot of the guesswork out of even that task if it is used properly and regularly.

My experience with laser range finders has been exclusively with military models which are generally decent albeit outside the price range of most civilian enthusiasts. However, a good rangefinder seems at least as important, particularly when ranging something less reflective than a steel plate on a range.
    Last edited by WolfmanReid; 04-17-2017 at 07:04 PM.

the wind meter only read WHERE YOU ARE STANDING.
    by the time you look thru your scope and try calculating, things have changed.
    there is a reason why mil snipers run in teams spotter/shooter.

great data where you are at is nice but what about the wind at 2000 yards, or in the middle at 1000 yards that where your bullet us another 8 or 9 feet higher than line of sight ?

i shoot and do well in 600/1000 yard benchrest, where lots of sighters are allowed.
    try doing a single hit with only 2 shots..no sighters. starting at 900 yards and go out.
    you keep saying "takes a lot of the guesswork out of even that task if it is used properly and regularly."
    three of the regular shooters at this match have local ballistic calculators....they still had less than 30% hits.
    it just aint that simple.
    these guys shoot at the same spot and the same targets all the time. mostly some sort of 338, i was ONLY a hot 300 win mag.
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfmanReid View Post
    Totally agree the ability to read wind from mirage, vegetation and other environmental factors is what ultimately separates really good shooters from merely decent ones.

That being said a good ballistic calculator with an accurate wind meter takes a lot of the guesswork out of even that task if it is used properly and regularly.

My experience with laser range finders has been exclusively with military models which are generally decent albeit outside the price range of most civilian enthusiasts. However, a good rangefinder seems at least as important, particularly when ranging something less reflective than a steel plate on a range.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12