Default Stock Loose On SKS

Bought a 1954 Tula with a laminated stock, if you hold on to the stock and barrel the action moves back and forth about an 1/8 of an inch. Can a shim be placed between the front recoil lug and stock without fear of damaging the stock under recoil ?

It's missing the bayonet, trapdoor in the buttplate, and cleaning rod, so will see if I can round these things up.

Quote Originally Posted by mndale View Post
    Bought a 1954 Tula with a laminated stock, if you hold on to the stock and barrel the action moves back and forth about an 1/8 of an inch. Can a shim be placed between the front recoil lug and stock without fear of damaging the stock under recoil ?

It's missing the bayonet, trapdoor in the buttplate, and cleaning rod, so will see if I can round these things up.
    Normally it's best to shim between the rear tang and the stock to push the action forward into the recoil lug (the rear tang being the rear bottom leg that holds the rear of the trigger group in)
    When your smiling the whole world smiles with you

+1 on what Mike said. keep the crossbolt in the proper position on the barrel lug.
    If if's and but's were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry christmas.

Thanks guys, I trimmed a popsicle stick and put it between the rear tang and stock. It doesn't move anymore.

Just need to find a blade bayonet, cleaning rod and trapdoor for the buttplate.

It's a rework with matching #'s but the two letters before the numbers is different on the top cover and stock.

Had posted a thanks to mriddick Sun. but must have gotten lost in cyberspace.