Thread: 32 acp cylinder

Default 32 acp cylinder

I got my cylinder from J&G and tried it in both my nagants which are 1944's. As I rotate the cylinder either by DA method or by cocking the trigger after rotating thru 3 or 4 it hangs up by not moving forward and sealing the gap to the barrel. Has anyone had this problem on their bought 32 acp cylinder? Can i still make use of it? Please advise
    Lionart

Just break out a file and see where you need to file down the cylinder to have it run better. Some places recommend filing down the arm, but i don't like that idea.
    RIP BBQ Sam

They say in the add that it may require some fitting.

Default 32 acp filing

What area do i concentrate on? I've never dealt with filing cylinders for fit and surely would appreciate any help to location on cylinder to get started. Looking at the cylinder when hung up, the notch is at the bottom is this correct? I'm not going to alter my Nagants in any way, so it has to be the cylinder.
    Lionart

I am interested as well. I tried the .32 acp cylinder that came with my nagant today. One chamber is having issues. The raised area around the chamber is catching just before it locks into battery. This is causing me to have to release pressure, bypass that chamber and go on the the next while shooting. Either that or the revolver stops advancing past it. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Shotar; 07-13-2008 at 06:44 PM.

pa. where I can still own any gun I choose

Have heard of many problems with the a.c.p. cylinder. I shoot 32 H&R out of original cylinder with good results.
    Cabelaman=A.K.A. Reverend Ron-S.A.S.S. 64616 -N.R.A. Benefactor member -Life N.A.H.C.

Default 32 acp cylinder

I sent my 32 cylinder along with both my nagants to a gunsmith to have the cylinder timed and trigger springs relieved. My guns are on their back and according to him much better. He test fired the 32 cylinder and worked perfect. He also polished the inside which relieved the shells sticking. He ground down both trigger springs.
    lionart

Quote Originally Posted by lionart99 View Post
    I sent my 32 cylinder along with both my nagants to a gunsmith to have the cylinder timed and trigger springs relieved. My guns are on their back and according to him much better. He test fired the 32 cylinder and worked perfect. He also polished the inside which relieved the shells sticking. He ground down both trigger springs.
    lionart
    Let us know how it turns out...and if you're happy with spring job...who your gunmith is!

My 1932 Tula Ngant came with a .32 acp cylinder as an accessory. The cylinder didn't work too well in the 1932, or my Tula 1944. Both had issues with smoothly rotating the aftermarket cylinder.

My Ishevsk 1945 revolver would accept the cylinder and work fine with it. Rotates and works as well as it's original cylinder.

So if you don't want to do any gunsmithing, just keep buying Nagant revolvers until you find one the cylinder will work in!

32 acp reworked

I got my 32 cylinder back from the gunsmith that I sent it to and the cylinder stills hangs up on one chamber. The trigger pulls on both are much better so that phase of it i'm happy with but the cylinder work is a disappointment. In view of the cost for the entire rework I'll just stay with the Nagant ammo and 32 long and chaulk it up to a learning process.
    Lionart

I set up a bunch of those when they first came around. The problem is likely to be in the front of the cylinder where the sleeve and spring go in. If you lightly polish the entry hole (do not remove much more than the blue, it should fix the problem), then your favorite slick lube. I wouldn't change the sleeve, just the .32 ACP cylinder as the Nagant OEM cylinder will then be out of set up if you do work on the original parts. Trimming springs etc wouldn't be my choice. I wouldn't file the hand either. The problem was typically that the pistol would not revolve, or would only revolve with great trigger pressure. This fixt it.

I have since fired many hundreds if not thousands of .32 ACP out of the ones I have done for myself. No problems.

I've had a problem with mine - hanging on chambers. Worked on the cylinder itself (no way i'm messing up the the revolver) by filing on the rear of the cylinder - the sprocket looking part - don't know the proper name for it. I would notice where pawl is scratching the most and file there, then use permanent marker to paint over and then operate the cylinder and see if there is a strong scratch/burr mark again, and again, and again.
    In the end the cylynder works perfectly - but the performance of .32 acp in general and it's accuracy out of Nagant revolver is way beyond the most modest expectations. Add to it that the price of the 32 acp ammo has gone up - it's not worth it.

Cheers,

Me.

Default .32 ACP - how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by tt63 View Post
    I have since fired many hundreds if not thousands of .32 ACP out of the ones I have done for myself. No problems.
    A very good friend wants to buy and install a .32 ACP cylinder in his Nagant mainly because he feels that Nagant ammo is not particularly standard, he is convinced that .32 ACP ammo is much more readily available.

So, he asked me to ask you guys some questions about the conversion:

1) How does the .32 ACP ammo stay in the cylinder? I.e., since there really is no way to use half-moon clips with that ammo in that gun, what keeps the ammo from falling into the cylinder? In my daughter's S&W 1917 .45 revolver, there was a ridge near the bottom of each chamber that caught the end of each cartridge-case. Is that the same method used here?

2) What is your experience with the accuracy when using the ACP ammo?

3) Reliability?

4) Do you think his ideas are correct?

5) Is this an efficient modification?

I intend to pass on to him the rest of the information you all have posted here about fitting. He is very experienced with firearms. He is one of the few people I know who has an operating WWI Mauser anti-tank rifle... He and his wife are also very close friends of mine and my family.
    Last edited by Kgordon; 09-18-2008 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Added the word "case" to clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by Me View Post
    In the end the cylynder works perfectly - but the performance of .32 acp in general and it's accuracy out of Nagant revolver is way beyond the most modest expectations.
    Could you please give us some details? Accuracy? Reliability? Apparent recoil?

Thanks!