Gunboards Forums banner

Diopters and Rear Sights

103K views 117 replies 26 participants last post by  scottz63 
#1 · (Edited)
Pics showing differencies between Swedish Elit (m.Edström) and Swiss Elite (m.101). When did production end in Sweden and when did it start in Swiss? Funny that Swiss kept V and H for windage-adjustment (V= vänster (left), H=höger (right)).

Regards,
ARILAR:)

See less See more
#67 ·
I love fixtures, because it breeds consistency. That is a neat piece of equipment.

#68 ·
I have seen a few of those for sale over the years , but I really don't see how it works . You need the top flat area to be parallel to the receiver . If you clamp it there , you cannot check it with an indicator . Not a fast way to be drilling a repeated number of receivers . No other way of holding it . Another thing is the sharp edge on the underside where it butts up against the radius on the charging hump . It should at least have a chamfer or matching radius . Otherwise , it would be hard to locate it in position .

What size are the two holes ? They should be 2.5m/m , which is the tap drill size for M3x.5 screws .

I wonder why it is not marked for the type of Diopter ? Maybe the "GF" , since it is Crown marked ?

#69 ·
The hole spacing matches a GF diopter. The fixture when aligned on the base of a GF diopter is sized such that it clears the recess in the sight base for the charger hump, as well as the charger hump on the rear receiver bridge. The angles on the crown stamped side of the fixture match those on the base of the sight. The holes are definitely less than 3.5 mm, but I need to find my micrometer to measure what diameter the holes are.

#70 ·
Interesting piece of a drill jig. I believe there has to be more to it. Something like a gun/receiver vise were the gun or barrel is dropped in and clamped. Then a swing over or sideways fixture is lowered/swung onto the receiver which has guide walls for that drill jig block. Due to the round hardened receiver surface there is a force to push the drill bit to the side. The drill jig will take that force/wandering of the drill bit for a while but will wear beyond a certain limit after time. The drill jig block comes out of the fixture and a new block is entered.
The problem comes up when an already hardened piece of cylinder has to be drilled for a change of purpose or design. Just clamping it in a vise and start happy drilling doesn't work to keep close tolerances.
Wondering if something like this was used to drill the scope base to a receiver for a m/41(B)???

#73 ·
I have not seen a #202 Elite sight . Here is the Elite #201 , pictured below , compared to a standard Elit Edtrom .

This is one of several I have. They all were converted for use on a U.S. Redfield base. I purchased them this way I do not know what rifle they were originally set up for.
The conversion involved the creation of a new base and I believe the elevation and windage being reversed.

#77 · (Edited)
What do you want to know ? I have not seen an instruction sheet on it or at least I cannot remember seeing one . Pretty simple design with a low profile . You will need to make a special tool to adjust the zero . A round piece with a slot through the center . You need to remove the aperture & hood to see the adjustment screw . There is a locking screw at the rear for the elevation . Looks like the elevation may be graduated 150/600 meters ? Not sure what the windage marks are ? Most diopters are one click equals 10 m/m at 100 meters or 20 m/m at 200 meters , etc . There are at least two versions , one plain ( your windage marked 0 through 5 ) and the other marked " Mod. 2 " ( windage marked 0 through 9 ) on the left end of the elevation wheel . Not sure what front sight you have ? There is a Fäldt front sight , but I have never seen but one of them . See the photo below .

Attachments

#78 ·
Thank you for the explanation of the zero adjustment. I am interested in the model variations, their purpose (target competition and/or military prototype) and the years of their introductions. Mine is marked Mod. FALDT with windage marked 1-6 and elevation marked 150-600. My front sight is a standard sight with blade and an aluminum hood. The blade is large and is marked +250 on the left and what looks like SP/AB on the right. Base is marked 0.5. This sight is on an all matching (incl. stock) Carl Gustafs 96 dated 1899 in very good condition. Blue is 90% or better.

#79 ·
I think yours is the 1st version , without " Mod. 2 " . For target competition , as far as I know . Only the Carl Gustaf " GF " diopter was used on the military M6 and M7 target rifles ( like a CG63 ) . " Arilar " may have a post somewhere on the Fäldt diopter with more info , but that is all I know about it . Use trial & error to see how much the windage moves per click . Start a new thread & show us some more photos of your rifle .

#81 · (Edited)
96 with Lyman sights

I also just picked up another 96, this one with Lyman sights front and rear. It has a very nicely fitted Lyman 48 on the receiver and a Lyman 77R front. Would it be likely that these sights were fitted in North America rather than in Sweden? The rifle also has a Timney trigger. Whenever it was fitted, it was some time ago judging by the amount of grime on the sight. I haven't cleaned the rifle yet. (All numbers match incl. stock set except for bottom metal and bands.)

#82 ·
Lyman diopter sights were used in Sweden by the FSR . Also used on the fm23 & fm23/36 target rifles . Yours are probably legit . I doubt the Timney is original from Sweden . The only trigger changes I have seen were on the CG80 & later models . They were the M-69 made by Shultz & Larsen and the " KV " marked Norwegian trigger made at Kongsberg .

#83 ·
This Lyman-diopter doesnt look like the ones used on fm/23 or fm/23-36. Wrong scale (should have scale 1-10). Lyman diopters not allowed in FSR up to 1955. Allowed for sure 1968 so allowed somewhere between 1956-1968. Not a first choice for FSR-shooters (probably very rarely choosen). Never seen a Lyman front-sight or any ad in magazines for Lyman front-sights. I would very much bet on that those sights has been mounted on this rifle outside of Sweden. But who can know for sure.........?

#84 ·
arilar, I own two Lyman 48M Crown stamped diopters - one on a FSR rifle (M/96), another loose one - both have scale to 6, any possibility that there were 1000m and 600m versions of Lyman diopter used at one point or another or 1000m is the only approved and correct one for a Swedish market? Thank you.

#86 ·
You can check the style on Lymans diopter on fm/23 and fm/23-36 in this thread http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?174900-Fm-23-36-Trial-Match-Rifle. When decided Lyman diopters to be approved for Swedish mausers in FSR not mentioned small differences in model. Pretty sure you could decide on any 48M model you could get your hands on. Robinpecks Lyman diopter should definitely have been okey for FSR. The Uno Berg-diopter was told to be a diopter "similar" to a Lyman.
The question was if the Lyman diopter and front-sight on Robinpecks mauser had been mounted in Sweden. If so, not for FRS-use. Still put my coins on that mounted outside Sweden.

#89 · (Edited)
I spoke too soon. I am finally getting around to disassembling and cleaning the grime off this rifle.
I see now that the rear sight is a Lyman 48S, originally intended for the US M-1903 Springfield. It is nicely fitted, so I assume the profile had to be slightly modified to fit the 96. It may have been installed outside Sweden but its still a nice set-up. The Lyman 48 is the older one, with the windage gauge to the rear and the fold down leaf dual aperture at the front (see photos)

#90 ·
Post 1979.The height of the taller seems to about Match the Appature foresight adapter that came with My all matching M96 1899 Carl Gustav.Can't find any name or number but it slides over the barrel and is located over the foresight block and clamped with 2 x 4 m/m screws.The set up brings the sight line well above the military sight line over the leaf sight and blade.The rifle (No.941(bolt)) is minty and is better than I am at 8/900 Mtres.155 grn.Match King and a hand full of VIT 140.Any ideas who made the fore sight adapter ?? It came with a MetalVerken Vasteras Leaf sight adjuster (No windage adjustment).The stock disk has 2 Blued screws and is marked 21.R. Over B. over No.1754. It has a Brass lined steel muzzle/sight protector
and is BRITISH NITRO PROOF.. When Dinasor Brain starts to function after St NicKs festival I will try to send some Piccies..
A Good New Year To ALL!! Go well, OLD DOG..

#97 · (Edited)
I load photos on my computer with Windows Photo Gallery . Easier for me than Photobucket . I can scan photos from my printer , load from my camera in a USB port or save from the internet .

I am presently using Windows 7 . Previously , I used Windown XP and Vista with the same Windows Photo Gallery .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.