Thread: Soderin diopter sight

Default Soderin diopter sight

Hello,
    I'm needing some information on how to use the Soderin diopter sight I've recently aquired two m-96 rifles with this type sight system and I need to know where to find instructions on how to use the sight.
    I took both to the range today and have them pretty well set for 100 yards, but the height adjustment is not set at the 1. How do I adjust this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    me26245

You did right by first sighting in the diopter to your zero (100 for you). Sorry for the "busy" photos!!!

Here you have the elevation assembly:

Loosen screw E and the range ring, F, will turn freely so you can set the 100 mark to coincide with the housing mark, K.

Here is the windage assembly:

Loosen screw F and the windage ring, G, will turn freely so you can set the zero mark to coincide with the mark on item H

Lastly, referring to the elevation assembly again, loosen screw J and position the pointer to the zero mark on the base.

And there, my friend, you have it!

metzgeri
    Words to be raised by: "I am I plus my circumstances"
    Words to Live by: "Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance"
    Words to die by: "Arbeit Macht Frei" and "Molon Labe"

Default Soderin diopter

Wow, that was quick and I thank you. I didn't think it would be to hard, but it's always best to ask someone in the know.

Thanks You
    Metzgeri

me26245

Not a problem. I already had the photos from an earlier discussion.

Remember that there were 3 colored elevation rings (red, white, yellow) for different ammunitions. I believe there was a 780m/s version for 6.5, a 780m/s version for 7.62 and an 800m/s version for 6.5. They differed by color and spacing of the markings.

And don't quote me on this, but I think they were designed to shoot the 139gr spitzer bullet from the standard m/96 barrel.

So, load development is the order of the day to properly use all the Soderin's features (or any of the diopters, for that matter). That is my next task, once I'm comfortable with all my diopters....:cool:

Anyone have a better description of the colored rings and their application to what type of bullet?

metzgeri

Default colored elevation rings

I just checked my rifles and one has the range ring graduations in yellow and the other where they are visable are white, but both only have graduations from 1 up to 6, so I'm not sure I'm following what your saying about about the different color elevation rings.

me26245

swede is offline Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member

The velocity of a given load of ammo will give you a specific trajectory . All the Soderin dials are marked 100 meters to 600 meters , but each is calibrated for a differant load . Meaning that the markings are spaced differantly on each dial according to the amount of bullet drop at each distance ( 100 through 600 ) . There are 4 colored dials : white , yellow , red & green . Anders has posted info on 2 of them in the past . Perhaps Arilar , Nisse , Pettson or Anders has info on the other two ?

white = 6.5x55 143 grain " Silver Match " , 800 m/s

yellow = 6.5x55 139 grain M-41 military ammo , 790 m/s

red = 6.5x55 139 grain " Falt torped " , 830 m/s

green = 6.5x55 139 grain spitzer boatail , 850 m/s

Many thanks for the additional info on the red & white disc , provided by Nisse .
    Last edited by swede; 07-03-2008 at 04:45 AM.

Default Söderin diopter sight

Hi, White disc: 6,5x55mm 143 grain"Silver match" 800m/sek
    Red disc: 6,5x55mm 139 grain"Fält torped" 830m/sek.

and you have allredey the yellow and green discs m/sek.

Nisse

Thank you for the additional info . I will edit my post with your info to make it complete .

Is the 143 grain Silver match made by Norma ?????

Default Söderin diopter sight

I am not sure,
    but i think made by Norma.

Nisse

And there we have it, finally!! Thank you Swede and Nisse.

I assume these are standard colors, not just for the Soderin. Are they the same colors for the GF?

What is a "Fält torped" bullet? A "Field Torpedo" bullet? Soft Point, hollow point?

For those of us (me) with no coloring on some of our Soderin dials, can someone post pictures of the various types? Preferrable with measurement between the 1 and 6 marks (so we can use measurement to distinguish them).

metzgeri

These are standard Soderin colors , with approximate distance in milimeters between the hash marks of the #1 and #6 . Measured from the end of the mark at the outside diameter of the disc , straight across .

White = 1.75 m/m

Yellow = 4.5 m/m

Red = 9.5 m/m

Green = 11.5 m/m

The Gf diopter sight has only 2 scales listed in the instructions for each calibur , 6.5 m/m & 7.62 m/m . Both with the same velocity .

Orange = 780 m/s & marked " A "

White = 800 m/s & marked " B "

No indication of how to tell the differance in calibur . I have seen GF sights in 6.5 using either scale .

The Swiss Elite instructions says that they have elevation scales for differant ammo , but none is listed . Anders has sold the Swiss scales marked 830 m/s . I do not know what the standard unmarked ones are calibrated for or what others were offered .

I have not seen instructions for the original Elit M-Edstrom diopter sight . I do not know what the original scale is calibrated for , nor do I know if any other scales were offered .

The Hauges sight was available in 6.5 calibur & 7.62 NATO . I do not know what scales were offered or how to tell the differance between the 2 caliburs ?

A whole lot of unknowns here . Maybe some of our board members in Sweden can give some additional help ?????
    Last edited by swede; 07-03-2008 at 05:46 PM.

I still don't have mine back from the smith yet so let me get this straight. You set windage and elevation to obtain zero at 100 yards then reset the elevation ring to 100 yards and match with housing? This answer may help Matte too. Regards, Rick.

If your elevation is as low as it will go & you are shooting high at 100 meters , then you need a taller front sight blade to bring the group down . Look on the left side of your front sight base & blade . There will be a number there & both will match if it is the original blade . You need a higher number blade . There was a chart posted here in the past , but I cannot find it now . If someone else remembers the link . please post the link . It will tell you the approximate number front sight blade you need , depending on how high you are shooting .

Default Front sight tables

Here is the link to the front sight tables :

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=111410

Red face Söderin Sight Question

First, Thank you all for providing so much information on thr Söderin sight. I have a question about the one on my CG 80. It has a black nylon/plastic insert which surrounds the aperture. I've never seen this part discussed. Is it a standard part of this sight? I ask because it seems to cause me problems at the range. It's difficult to tell sometimes if I'm sighting through the aperture or sighting through the hole in the insert above above the aperture. Your "insights" are appreciated. Thanks.

That is a " sun shade " . The slot is cut to high . In the 300 to 600 meter range , you should only see one opening of light . You may be able to use a piece of black electrical tape to cover the top of the slot , or more permanently gluing a piece of black plastic at the top of the slot . What ever it takes so that you do not see two holes of light . You should only see the aperture .

By the way , the sunshade will pop out . I see many Söderin sights without them . It all depends on the sight picture you want to see ?
    Last edited by swede; 11-27-2013 at 07:30 AM.

Can you tell me how to remove a SODERIN Diopter from a M96 rifle?
    I would like to replace it with an ELIT diopter
    are the threaded holes the same for both diopter?
    Thanks

No , the hole pattern is not the same for the Elite & Söderin . You may be able to force the holes to line up , but the diopter will probably be cocked out of square with the receiver ( or crooked ) .

The remove the Söderin , remove two screws that hold a 90 degree angle bracket on the left side , looking towards the muzzle . That will allow the top half of the Söderin diopter to slide off to the left & you can get to the mounting screws . Beware there is a ball bearing behind the windage knob that may fall out when disassembled . So , look for it & make sure it is in place when you reassemble the diopter .

Here is a chart of the hole patterns of the diopters used on Swedish target rifles .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diopter 002 (602x640).jpg   Diopter 001 (447x640).jpg  

Swedish Contract P51d Mustang