Gunboards Forums banner

Chinese SKS with Laminate Stock

9K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  Loose}{Cannon 
#1 ·
This one caught my eye recently and I had to buy it. It appears to be a Chinese laminate stock. All parts are matching minus the gas piston. There are not the usual Egyptian contract characteristics. No Arabic writing, no blade bayo cutout, no Russian refurb marks on the stock, Serial puts it at 67 instead of 65 or 68. So what do you all think, possibly an original Chinese laminate? It has a small century import mark under the barrel and whoever had it before me did not bother to clean the cosmo from under the wood. Overall I am pretty damn happy with it, best looking SKS I have ever owned!

See less See more
#3 ·
Agreed, it could be Israeli Capture. It definitely looks like a Soviet laminate stock. The manufactured date for these types of carbines has greatly expanded beyond the most commonly encountered specimens from 9mil and 12mil serial range.

The term "Egyptian Contract" isn't a proper identification anymore. It was just a name from the internet that stuck. Israeli Capture is also an internet name, but stems from a source which has some researched backing. However, not all guns which fit a general appearance (like yours, above) are imported from Israeli captured arms. Some could very well come from sources other than Israel. There are direct reports from folks who pulled these type of guns from crates which were imported from Egypt. Rumored reports of shipments from Kuwait. Bringbacks from Lebanon, (possibly) Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan.

I've been promoting a more generalized term for them - Arab Contract? Chinese Sales to Middle East Entities? Something along those lines which will more accurately fit the category.

Regardless of what we call them, they are collectible niche in the SKS realm. And you have a good example!

#6 ·
congratulations. This is another example of the very rare original Chinese made laminate stock SKS. This has been previously discussed. It is not a Russian stock nor from anywhere in the middle east but rather, with that import mark, original from china. The thin laminates set it apart from Russian guns. Look up prior discussions on this board for more complete examination.

#10 ·
Patient957, here is one of the discussion posts sksguide mentions here: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?214572-Laminated-SKS-stock-questions along with http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?408024-A-little-help-with-a-Vietnam-SKS-bring-back and http://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...tion-on-this-rare-SKS-here-Laminate-stock-SKS

As an aside, I've seen serialized Chinese laminate stocks with S/Ns as low as 11479128 all the way up to 11539691. That's just over a 60,000 gun span. Yours and the one you saw on SKSBoards fall right about in the middle at 11.49 million.

Stopsign32v's laminate:

Sksguide's laminate:

They are quite nice rifles, interesting collectables for certain.

#8 ·
Thanks for the input. In response to the century import mark, it is marked China. From what posts I could find on these there didn't seem to be much in common with the Arab refurb rifles. This one looks original matching to me and the laminates do appear thinner. Interestingly, I found a thread on one that's like an exact copy of this one. Serialed stock, upside down bayo, same looking laminate and the serial is less that 2,300 from mine. Http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=97934.0

#11 ·
Sorry about the earlier mix-up on the stock origin. I should have asked about the lamination, thin layers vs thicker layers. From the side view, I erroneously identified the furniture as Russian. Should have looked closer at your pics of the wrist.

Oops....

Glad the rest of you guys were on top of the matter!

#13 ·
Thats one of the best looking Chi Com sks's Ive seen, I wish they would have made more with the laminate stocks

I wonder why they made them like that for the middle east? was there something wrong with regular hardwood stocks?

maybe the Egyptians wanted something more durable? Ive seen sks rifles in the hands of other middle east / African countries with the standard wooden stocks.

#15 ·
We don't always know why the Chinese did this or that with the many variations of their SKS. Sometimes we have informants from the time of import who may or may not have a reason to offer an explanation. I was told back when these were imported that these were made to provide a more durable Stock based on the experience in Vietnam. The Chinese SKS stock did not hold up well in the climate and war time conditions in Vietnam. Laminated stocks would be much more durable. These stocks were said to have been made by a furniture factory in Beijing and shipped to arsenal triangle 26. The cost was too high so only a limited number were made. They were made when the AK 47, not the SKS was the favored weapon by the North and Viet Cong. The highest serial number SKS documented from the Vietnam war as a bring back is in the 13 million range ( maybe 14) and these laminated stocked SKS are in the 11 million range. So while it is possible there is a documented Chinese Laminated SKS from the Vietnam war out there, the ones I have heard of were all imports from the late 1980s or 1990s. Among the imports this should be on a collectors bucket list. They came in in brand new condition. Folks did not know how rare they were so getting one as imported is a real treat.

#16 ·
The same story has been attributed to the phenolic & fiberglass Chinese so called "jungle stock". But in reality the Chinese stocks on the SKS and AK in Chu wood faired quite well in Vietnam.
There is little or no evidence of other stock types being used in Vietnam to any degree AFAIK and experienced.

#17 ·
I remember reading a story about the TET OFFENSIVE and many AK / SKS rifles were hidden or buried in cemetaries to prepare for the TET OFFENSIVE attacks, and many of the weapons had worm holes / rot damage and the VC wrapped rags on the broken stocks and tried to use them like that.

maybe thats why they developed the Red Resin fiberglass and laminate wood stocks for more durability?

#18 · (Edited)
I have one just like the one patient 957 has, but no finish on exposed metal , with spike bayonet,Picked it up at a gun showdown ,in 1968,at "hobo woods" South Viet Nam. IT HAS THE SAME TYPE LAMINATE WOOD STOCK.I'M NOT ISRAELI and former owner didn't look Egyptian either ! just another dead V.C. All Chinese mfg. Another 25TH I.D. double tap ! Aced his ass !

#20 ·
You account is important and I for one, accept you at your word. There are lots of skeptics, because there have been lots of frauds and phony claims and I not at all including you in that group. For historical reasons I ask if you have capture papers. Yes, I know lots of folks just took stuff home without capture papers and others lost them. If not I suggest you write down your account of capturing this SKS , include any friends or fellow soldiers who were with you and get it notarized. In this simple way, your important part of history can be preserved. When I started collecting, right after 75, the only SKS, and makarovs were bring backs . Did not need any documentation. I would love to see pictures of your SKS as this is the place to share this kind of information. Thanks for sharing. And... Thanks for your service.

#25 ·
Just as a point of information, I have been educated by Edwin Lowe in his publication on militia marksmanship training, that the wood on SKS is NOT Chu wood, whatever that is. In Chinese it is called Qiu wood otherwise known as Manchurian Catalpa. No criticism here as for years I and everybody has used the wrong name. Now that we know we should use the correct name.

#23 ·
some of the Chi com sks rifles captured in Vietnam could be the early blade models with Russian laminated stocks installed

Im sure they often cannibalized / salvaged parts off one rifle to fix another rifle

I remember back when they use to import Chinese sks, a lot of the used ones had the wrong stock or wrong bayonet installed

some early blade bayonet rifles had the spike bayonet inletted stocks, but as long as the bayonet hung down a little bit it didnt matter, it may have had a little wobble, but they were still functional with the wrong stock installed.

#26 · (Edited)
While the wood is a Catalpa cultivar family type it was or is also referred to as "Qui" or "Chu". Chu perhaps a derivative name from the "Qui"? Even the Bonsai cultivators refer it in the simple name as well as the latin name after a western botanist it seems and the Manchurian Catalpa name as well. Seems it has several names and surely one in Chinese as well. :)

http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/ornamental-plant-chu-wood-catalpa-bungei/254519852.html

#34 ·
While the wood is a Catalpa cultivar family type it was or is also referred to as "Qui" or "Chu". Chu perhaps a derivative name from the "Qui"? Even the Bonsai cultivators refer it in the simple name as well as the latin name after a western botanist it seems and the Manchurian Catalpa name as well. Seems it has several names and surely one in Chinese as well. :)

http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/ornamental-plant-chu-wood-catalpa-bungei/254519852.html
Yes, the tree's genus is Catalpa. The proper Chinese name of this wood is 楸树 (qiu shu). This information is from a native of China and a biologist by training (one of my coworkers), so I take it as being quite authoritative. Qiu is pronounced chu by most English speakers, so it's likely that this is how "chu" became the popular spelling among American firearms enthusiasts.

#28 ·
I am glad I do not have to post my pictures again, somebody always does it for me. Nice rifle and looks in a little better shape then mine. From what I have researched these Chinese laminated socks were contracted out from a furniture shop in Beijing but proved to be to costly to continue. I will have to look to find where I saw his reference. Mine came out of North Dakota.

#31 ·
There are direct reports from folks who pulled these type of guns from crates which were imported from Egypt. Rumored reports of shipments from Kuwait.
If I recall.... This was an assumption to begin with. Do you have the who, what, when ,where, and why on this story? Still looking for even the slightest evidence Egypt EVER had any chinese type 56s

#35 ·
This post started with a discussion and presentation of a Chinese made and issued SKS with a Chinese made laminated stock. Just so we all don't get confused between Russian and Chinese laminated stocks let me remind what is the difference between them.
Russian laminated stocks have a block center piece running down the middle of the stock as viewed from the bottom. Chinese laminated stocks are thin laminates throughout. The attached picture shows that underside of the as issued Chinese laminated stock showing thin laminates of equal size all the way through. When looking at Chinese guns that came from somewhere in the middle east, check to see if the laminated stock is Russian or Chinese. From what I have seen and heard ( and I am not the last word) all of the Chinese SKS with laminated stocks imported from somewhere in the middle east and often with Arabic numerals painted on the stock , are all Russian laminated, not Chinese laminated stocks. But let us see what others have seen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.