Gunboards Forums banner

The top five AR-15 rifles

14K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Shyquestor 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy a AR-15 rifle. This will be my first AR-15 type rifle and want a good deal.
With all the different companys producing AR-15 type rifles which would be the top five.
Also, I only have 850 dollars to play with.
So- what brand/what company?

Thanks,
Proshot

#4 ·
850..sounds like you are almost out of range of the top 2-Colt and Rock River-but there is hope for you as there are a number of critters to chose from:The Stag(stagarms),the Snake(bushmaster)and Panther(DPMS).The DoubleStar sold by a board sponsor look ok to me also and the prices ain't bad.You can make up a nice one to your likes by checking out the likes of Model 1 ,Sherluk and Delton.I recommend Model 1 Sales.In my neck of the woods we have Olympic Arms and their forged lowers are OK.

#5 · (Edited)
Hi Pro, I was in the same boat as you are except I was able to coax the wife into a bit more of a budget. I went to a local gunshop that is owned by a former army armorer. I had my mind set on a Bushmaster when I arrived. He was great and took a lot of time with me. He owns half a dozen AR's by different manufacturers. To make a long story short, I left with a S&W M&P15 OR. He said he's never had any problems with any of the M&P15's he's sold. I love this rifle so far. Did the breaking in as instructed with no problems. She runs like a top. Wish I could help you more.
P.S. Forgot to mention, $870 + tax but I want to research the options on the optics so I purchased a front sight and carry handle. Sight=$40 Carry handle=$98

#8 ·
To some extent the "top 5" list is somewhat mutually exclusive of your $850 requirement. I personally like Armalite and believe most folks would have that in their top 5 (if not their top 2). Colt it another top 5 company with a strong following. There are a lot of folks that feel if an AR is not an Armalite or a Colt, "it is crap".

After that, then you start getting into some of the smaller companies such as Noveske, LMT, Charles Daly, RRA, and Sabre Defense. There are serious AR-15 shooters that swear by all of these. RRA is the only one I have personal experience with and it was a nice rifle (but just not quite to the standard of Armalite)

Of the above, I don't think any are in your price range. The closest quality gun is probably RRA. Really good entry level rifle.

On the bottom rung of the ladder is Bushmaster (the older ones were crap but they seem to have gotten better), Olympic, and DPMS. The DPMS I had was a complete jam-o-mattic. Definitely not recommended.

As was previously said, save up a few hundred more and get a true "top 5".

#9 · (Edited)
I hate to be the bubble burster here, but $850 for just the rifle or $850 for your total budget? I tried to stay in the $750 range tops, but that was just for the rifle (M&P 15 OR). But, with that particular model, you have to add your own aiming device: optic (red dot, EO, etc.) or BUIS's or both like I did or a carry handle. That adds a bit more to your overall budget. Even if you get a flat top of some kind, you need to get some kind aiming device.
"Top five"? I'm guessing your thinking about top five name brands (colt, bushmaster, rra, armalite, stag). If you want a name brand, do some seaching and try to part it out, upper + lower, or part kit. Thats really the only way to stay under $850. A bit more work on your part, but you will save some $$$$. I got my M&P from an off site sponser for $757 ($50 Smith rebate + $8 insurance). I havent used it yet and I do not know anyone who has used one, so I will not include the M&P as a Top Five rifle, based on bias and lack of perfromance knowledge.
On second thought, TOP FIVE, do you mean just the rifle itself? If you build in terms of uppers and lowers, your talking makers like sun devil, mega, cmmg, noveske, lmt. Perhaps they're more of a custom shop but definiately top quality equipment.

#10 ·
Aim in Ohio

There is a chart over on m4carbine.net that covers the major brands in detail.
FWIW , given your cost window,here is what I would get from Aim:

CMMG lower W/inter $180.45
parts

CMMG Mid Length $499.65
16 in upper

6 position stock $67.40
assem complete

stock wrench $3.95

Total $751.45

Several items have special $.01 shipping. Reciever transfer, $25-$35.
Still should have a little left-over toward the BUIS of your choice.
IMO, this package hits a sweet spot balance of cost and quality.
Aim has good customer service , CMMG's rep is a little uneven.
(Depends on who picks up the phone ). ;-)

Hope this helps.

#11 ·
What type of AR are you interested in. M4, A2, flattop, or a target model? DoubleStar rifles sold by Centerfire are a really great deal. If your wanting something not off the shelf, check out DoubleStar's website or J&T Distributing, basically the same company. They will custom build just about anything you want. I got a standard A2 DoubleStar, bought mine a few pieces at a time cuz it was just easier to come up with the money a little at a time. I got about $700 in mine including a couple mags and love it.

#13 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.