Default Can't remove Bolt

Greeting,

I just picked up a savage Lee Enfield . I tried to remove the bolt, and it does not come out. I pushed up on the bolt, and rotated it, and when it pulls back it stops. I can't see anything hitting it to stop it, thinking it must be something internal ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first Lee Enfield so there is a lot I have to learn.

Thanks

Default Bolt head

Did you get the bolt head aligned with the slot in the forward part of the groove? Pull the bolt slightly back, then lift the bolt head 90 degrees. That will allow the bolt to be removed.
    You need to download the Enfield manuals that Ed Horton has. They will provide you with a lot of information. Good luck with your Savage!
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

yes, i pulled the bolt back slightly , and rotated the head 90 degree. Then it only pulls back to the point it did when you don't rotate the head.

thanks for the head up on the manual.

Lift the rear (leaf) sight.
    "a rifle should be kept in every cottage in the land."

i see my problem now. I'm guessing it's a pin the that is in the bolt head. It sticks out maybe a 100th, and when you pull the bolt back it turns ithe head enough that it catches and fully remove.

from looking at the maual, it looks like the exrator screw is in to far, and the head is snapped on

Nineworlds

At the bottom of this posting in my signature block are 1992 Canadian Enfield manuals for download from a Dutch website, download them and read them they are very good manuals.

If you have a No.4 Mk.1* the guide rail in the receiver has a “cutout” to manually lift the bolt head and allow the bolt to be removed. If you have an early Savage it may be a No.4 Mk.1 (No Star) and the bolt release is located at the very rear of the bolt guide rail, push down on the release prior to the bolt coming all the way back and the bolt head can be moved upward for removal. The British pattern rear sight requires it to be raised for bolt removal.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by nineworlds View Post
    This is my first Lee Enfield so there is a lot I have to learn.
    For future reference on your new Enfield, perhaps download a complete set of manuals for the Lee Enfield, which includes operating and armourer's maintenance instructions. That may save you some money before going to a gunsmith.

With thanks to Ed Horton, the manuals may be found in the Technical Articles for Milsurp Collectors and Re-loaders (click here)

2002 No.4 (All Marks) .303 Rifle Manuals (click here)

Complete Set includes:

- 2002 No.4 (All Marks) .303 Rifle Data Summary
    - 2002 No.4 (All Marks) .303 Rifle Parts Identification List
    - 2002 No.4 (All Marks) .303 Rifle Operating Instructions
    - 2002 No.4 (All Marks) .303 Rifle Equipment Description
    - 2002 No.4 (All Marks) .303 Rifle Maintenance Instructions

1991 No.4 (All Marks) .303 Rifle Manuals (click here)

Complete Set includes:

- 1991 No.4 (All Marks) .303 Rifle Operating Instructions
    - 1991 No.4 (All Marks) .303 Rifle Maintenance Instructions

Note: The difference between the 1991 set of No.4 Manuals and 2002 No.4 (All Marks) .303 Rifle Manuals, is that the 1991 manual contains armourer's information on how to properly "bed" the No.4 rifle, whereas the newer 2002 manual does not.

Hope this helps...

Regards,
    Badger

ps: If you aren't a member you have to join, however, you can register for FREE..... Sorry, but if we don't have people register with legitimate email addresses, we get plastered with posts from spammers selling on-line prescription drugs and advertising *********** sites.

Thanks to BadgerDog the Canadian No.4 manual now flourishes back in it home country, the earlier manual came to me from Canada and I have always been grateful to my gracious Northern friends across the border.

It is my understanding that Badgers site is now the largest suppository of weapons information in North America.
    (Sorry I have a peachinspediment caused by drain bamage)

NOTE: A repository is a place where data or specimens are stored and maintained for future retrieval. A repository can be
    • a place where data are stored
    • a place where specifically digital data are stored
    • a site where eprints are located
    • a place where multiple databases or files are located for distribution over a network,
    • a computer location that is directly accessible to the user without having to travel across a network.
    • a place to store specimens, including serum or other biological fractions
    • a place where anything is stored for probable reuse
    Last edited by Edward Horton; 07-13-2008 at 03:42 PM.

i just thank all of you guys for the help and the links to a lot of great info.

Quote Originally Posted by nineworlds View Post
    i just thank all of you guys for the help and the links to a lot of great info.
    What did it turn out to be?
    "a rifle should be kept in every cottage in the land."

it turned out to the exractor screw. It goes all the way through, and it sticks out about a 100th of an inch. it doesn't cause a problem till the bolt needs to be removed. it causes the bolt head to shift just enough to catch.