Default SigSauer SHR 970 300 win mag

I am a lover of "out of the ordinary" or "different" guns. I recently acquired a Sig Sauer SHR 970 300 win mag. Never been shot, original book, tags and tool kit. I'm getting conflicting information as to the value of it. I'd like any information on it that anyone wants to share. When were they made? I know they are no longer imported in to the US, when and why did this happen? thanks!

Hi gunluvr,

Prices seem to vary on these depending on whether it has a synthetic stock or wood stock and the caliber the barrel is. On the auctions these rifles have been running at around $450 and up, depending on condition. Of course, whatever someone is willing to pay will determine the price. Myself, unless it was in a scarce caliber, I wouldn't pay much more than $500.

Pardon the nitpicking, but these aren't SIG Sauer rifles. They are pure SIG Swiss rifles and have no relationship with Sauer other than the company that imported them. The SIG 970 SHR is still in production and is a relatively popular rifle in some parts of Europe and of course Switzerland. Unfortunately SIGArms USA or whatever they are calling themselves now, discontinued importing these rifles several years ago. I believe they started importing them in 1997 or 1998, but need to check that. The American SIG Sauer company dropped support of these rifles a long time ago and parts and service are very scarce.

I don't know the reasons that importation and support were dropped and have tried on several occasions to get information from the American company, but they aren't giving out any details. In the period of 2000-2005 SIG in Switzerland was going through business adjustments and changes and the company was bought by two Germans, but production for Europe has continued and I don't know the ownership situation at this time.

The SIG SHR 970 is an interesting rifle because of the interchangeable barrels and manner of production. They are of very high quality even though they are mass produced, but honestly they are rather plain in finish. The ones I have are extremely accurate and they fit me well. Extra barrels are very scarce in the USA and only a limited selection of calibers was imported into the USA. The European selection was much better and had some really interesting metric calibers. Unfortunately, they are not being imported into the USA.

Another rifle based on the same action is the SIG STR 970 which originally stood for SIG Swiss Target Rifle, but of course soon morphed into Swiss Tactical Rifle. I don't know if the original European version ever actually was imported into the States, but special stocks and heavy fluted barrels were available for a short time here in the USA and so occasional you will see a SIG 970 tactical or sniper on the auctions that are made up on the actions. The originals had an integral muzzle brake and the made up ones won't have this.
    Great rifles.
    kriggevær - skarpskytte, samler, jæger
    "Roland was a warrior from the Land of the Midnight Sun..."

Well as far as I know the SHR 970 is like the P210 out of production for around two years now, it was too expensive and Swissarms sold out the last remaining stock rifles at dump prices.
    Here's a PDF of the 970 flyer...

http://www.bignami.it/cataloghi/shr/shr_970.pdf

As the leaflet shows it is a Swissarms product and not a SIG.

Guisan.
    Last edited by Guisan; 07-16-2008 at 12:35 PM.

Hi Guisan,

The early production rifles were all marked SIG on the receiver and the barrels were marked with SIG Swiss. I'll have to get them out of my files, but if I remember correctly, all of my manuals and literature from the 1990s has addresses for SIG Neuhausen, but it has been a while since I had them out to look at. I believe Swissarms is one of the several company names that were used in the last few years.
    Last edited by kriggevaer; 07-16-2008 at 02:40 PM.
    kriggevær - skarpskytte, samler, jæger
    "Roland was a warrior from the Land of the Midnight Sun..."

Well the answer is simple, SHR970's made between 1998 and 2000 had SIG markings for Europe and SIG Arms for the US.
    In 2000 Swiss Arms took over the gun production from SIG and was no longer allowed to use the name SIG on it's products, it used the name SAN (Swiss Arms Neuhausen) instead, also SIG Arms became a separate entity in 2000.
    The location of the factory has not changed and in my opinion SAN is only excisting because of contract compulsory to the Swiss army for parts and repairs. SAN now only produces the 55X series and the grenade throwers.
    The name SIG-Sauer in relation to SIG Arms is explained here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIGARMS

Guisan.
    Last edited by Guisan; 07-17-2008 at 02:22 AM.