Default Need ammo for a 6.5mm Vostok

I had looked for one of these for years. A friend found one many years ago and I got to shoot it. I finally found one and am looking for ammo, failing that I will have to reload for it. Anybody ever seen 6.5x54R Soviet ammo?
    Anybody have loading data?

Attachment 91638 Attachment 91641
    The rifle is virtually unfired.

Attachment 91639Attachment 91642

Attachment 91643

Attachment 91644Attachment 91645
    The snow flap on the front sight.

Attachment 91646

My goodness man that is a thing of beauty. Everytime I shoot one of my Russian Vostok .22 target rifles I wish for one in a small centerfire. Where do you come up with these finds. You truly have some rare examples. I found some ammo, as I understand it 6.5x53r is the same and also read that .276 mannilicher is also the same.
    It's kind of pricey but there is formed brass as well.
    http://www.buffaloarms.com/search.ht...chterm=6.5x53r
    Ukko Boudreauxski.
    Speed is fine, but accuracy is final.
    - Bill Jordan

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
    - Townsend Whelen

Default If you think that's fun ...

Attachment 91651

No it's not a .22! I am also looking for Soviet Sport 7.62 ammo as well. Used to come in a yellow box with German labeling. This thing likes 200 grain bullets.

You're killing me Joe!!!

These rifles are very uncommon!

Do you also have the AV target model?

Regards.
    Please, put your imput on the Mosin Nagant sniper rifle database.
    look at:
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=21990

Vz54/57 & 54/91 survey:
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...36#post2504436

Type 53 survey:
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...32#post2778832

Now your just being mean. Please allow me to return fire feeble as it is.

Ukko Boudreauxski.
    - Bill Jordan

- Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by alb87 View Post
    You're killing me Joe!!!

Regards.

I don't know which the AV target model is. I have seen one of the original Biathlon rifles which was a modified MN and still in 7.62 and one that had been rebarrelled in 6.5. These were guns that were picked up by a competitor in the late 50's or very early 60's. I've also seen a 6.5mm running boar rifle from the same period or a bit later.

The free rifle I showed is an Mts 13-1. I used to shoot 300 meter.

Attachment 91653

Attachment 91654

Attachment 91655Attachment 91656
    Unusuall offset sights

Attachment 91657

Attachment 91658

USMCsean is offline Super Moderator / Silver Bullet member/ Rocket Scientist

Great rifles guys. Very cool.
    Semper Fi,
    Sean

Check out the newest forum on Gunboards! The Brass Exchange. Where reloaders can come and find the brass that they need. http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...Brass-Exchange

Please add your info for the Tikka 91/30 Survey at: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...=3975#post3975

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and
    guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the "land of the free and home of the brave" so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm.
    Nov 13, 2010 Lt General John Kelly, USMC

Amazing!

Here are aome picture of a AV target model:

Regards.
    Please, put your imput on the Mosin Nagant sniper rifle database.
    look at:
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=21990

Vz54/57 & 54/91 survey:
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...36#post2504436

Type 53 survey:
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...32#post2778832

Amazing!

Here are aome picture of a AV target model:

Regards.
    I've seen one and there are drawings in Yuriev's (sp?) book. Never got to shoot one. We always called it their "Service rifle"
    Neat!
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by singleshotcajun View Post
    My goodness man that is a thing of beauty. Everytime I shoot one of my Russian Vostok .22 target rifles I wish for one in a small centerfire. Where do you come up with these finds. You truly have some rare examples. I found some ammo, as I understand it 6.5x53r is the same and also read that .276 mannilicher is also the same.
    It's kind of pricey but there is formed brass as well.
    http://www.buffaloarms.com/search.ht...chterm=6.5x53r
    This Russian round IS NOT the same as 6.5x53R Dutch or .276/6.5Mannilicher. It is the 7.62x54R Russian case necked down to 6.5mm. I thought Lapua had this brass in their catalog..but I don't see it now.

For sure a Reload your own by necking down Russian brass kind of a rifle. Check and see if the die makers have the specs to make you a die set...or ask if they can make one from a chamber cast. Should be a great shooting round.

I geuss you can't believe everything your research turns up online. Glad we have real experts here. The information I found stated 6.5x54r and 6.5x53r relationship is similar to 7.62x54r and 7.62x53r.
    Ukko Boudreauxski.
    - Bill Jordan

- Townsend Whelen

Default Ammo Spec

Here are the only specs I have on this ammo. This says it is running deer instead of Biathlon, but I assume it is probably the same round. The manual that this came out of dates to 1962.
    Attachment 91696
    The 6.5 mm round
    Last edited by jleiper; 07-16-2008 at 01:34 PM.

Attachment 91734
    This is the free rifle ammo I'm looking for!
    Joe

Joe, I have maybe 7 boxes left of LVE "Extra" ammunition (7.62 X 54R), but the green box, but I don't have any sale intentions! Besides, exporting would be nigh on impossible.
    I'm Lewie the Fly...

Default 6,5 Russian Vostock ammo.

One of the many "Wildcats" developed to better use the 7,62x54R (53R in Finland) case, for both Hunting and Competition.

In Finland, the .25(6,35x53R) , 6,5x53R and 8x53R are all factory rounds ( at least up to the 1980s) by various of the Finn Ammo Makers.

It is easy to make your own...take a 7,62x53R case (brass,) and run it into a .264 Short Magnum type Die ( this gives the necessary clearance for the large 7,62R case body, and necks the case from .30 cal to .264). It may be necessary to have an intermediate(.270) step in the necking Process. Unless of course you can get proper 6,5x53R Russian case sizing dies...not unknown...
    The Load and fire form....simple case conversion.

I suppose the confusion in case designation comes when one simply mentions "6,5x53R."..which most shooters recognize as the Dutch Mannlicher cartridge, with a .450 head diameter.... NOT the Russian case with the .485 head diameter...and which only the Finns call a "53R" ( every one else calls it a "54R"). Adding "Vostock " or "Russian" will clear up the ambiguity.

As to "Running Deer" or "Running Boar" rifles, the Russians also used WW I Ross Rifle M1910 actions to make competition Rifles in the 1950s ( whether from ex- Czarist stock (1917) or from Estonian confiscation(1940) is uncertain. The Straight-pull actions were used in both 7,62x54R and some of the lesser diameters ( .25 and 6,5 are known).

Some of these Ross versions showed up at the 1956 Olympics at Melbourne and the Aussie team then did a similar job using a Garand M1 action, converting it to straight Pull, and had the Ammunition Factory make special , semi-rimmed .303 cases for them to load up for potential use at the 1958 World Cup shoots ( for Running Boar and Running Deer competition...even the Russians were impressed.) Nothing further came of this development...I heard it from a retired Engineer who had worked on both the Gun (in his own Workshops in Melbourne) and had consulted with the AF on the design of the Cartridge case.

Regards,
    Doc AV
    AV Ballistics.

Quote Originally Posted by jleiper View Post
    I had looked for one of these for years. A friend found one many years ago and I got to shoot it. I finally found one and am looking for ammo, failing that I will have to reload for it. Anybody ever seen 6.5x54R Soviet ammo?
    Anybody have loading data?
    That thing looks like it has features of both a target rifle and a biathlon rifle. What year was it manufactured and what is its official designation/name?

Thanks, Sniplex
    Restored Mosin snipers are not just rifles for me, they are my passion.:D

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerman View Post
    That thing looks like it has features of both a target rifle and a biathlon rifle. What year was it manufactured and what is its official designation/name?

Thanks, Sniplex
    Manufactured in probably 1968 and the official designation is "Vostok" Biatlon - 6,5. These were devoloped for the 1964 winter olympics.
    These were used from the early 60's until 1978 when Biathon went from service rifle at upto 250 meters to .22 at 50 meters (which is what it still is today).

Sorry for the crappy photo. Top: random 7.62x54R, center headstamp "188 73", bottom headstamp: "LAPUA 6.3x53 R".

Joe,

The SU Match EXTRA ammo is around in Germany, but not wholesale anymore, some dealers may have some boxes, but that's it.
    Ammo for the 6,5x54R is even harder to get, I know a dealer, who has such a rifle in his collection and some ammo too, but he does not sell any.

Only way is relaoding for both types. For the 7,62mm cartridge use Lapua D166 bullets with 45...46grn N140 at an OAL of 76mm.
    For the 6,5mm Lee may make some custom dies and than you can start with the data for the 6,5x55 swedish.

All the russian match ammo was made by LVE Novosibirsk factorycode 188.

Chris
    Collector's Creed:

This is my rifle.
    I have many like it, and they are all MINE.
    My rifles are my life. Without my rifles I am useless.
    I must buy any cheap Milsurp, before Bubba does.
    I will learn all about restoration and preservation of guns.
    I must clean my rifles and shoot them often.

So be it, until all old military rifles have found a loving home.

A few of us on the list own these rifles in 6.5x54r Vostok and reload for it. No commercial ammo is available, and the 6.3x54r Finnish is not the same round!

7.62x54r cases must be full length resized, then necked down in two steps, once to 7mm and once to 6.5mm; otherwise the neck will collapse; the neck must also then be turned down (thinned) as it is too thick to chamber a round. Shoulder must stay the same, as for 7.62x54r.
    Best bullets to use are 140-160gr 6.5 mm, lighter bullets are unstable. Use VV loading manual or Hornady manual STARTING LOAD data for 6.5x55 Swedish and work up carefully.

Do a search on Gunboards and you will find more info.
    Sam Cummings laughs at us from the grave!

Thumbs up Soviet 6.5x54 Original Box (20 rounds)

Dear Joe:
    I have one box of original Soviet 6.5x54 that I have for trade if you are interested in. I have had this box of ammo for over twenty years. The box and ammo or in excellent condition. I can send you a picture if you are interested to your e-mail. I haven't talked to you in along time, so we can catch up. My home e-mail is: [email protected]
    Tex

Default Vostok Biathalon

Last edited by bushpilotmexico; 08-03-2008 at 10:12 PM.

I bought 2 boxes of this ammo years ago. Wish I had every box I have ever seen. Excellent match ammo. I have 5 rounds left. I got near MOA from a relica PU.

WOW!!!!!!!! I have looked just to have a few rounds and never found any......and you have the rifle Very nice NS
    ISAIAH 41:10

Quote Originally Posted by bushpilotmexico View Post
    The rifle you were/are intending to buy is the consecutive serial to mine! Mine is No 550. Hope you got it!
    Joe

Default Vostok BIL-6.5

I've recently acquired second of Vostok's rifle and they are really nice. Even so my second rifle is pure shape the price was right (guy sold it to me with case of original Russian ammo for $250) and I could not resist it.
    Too bad Russians do not measure calibers the way we do (7.62mm in Russia -.311 here) and BIL's barrel has diameter to accommodate 6.65mm bullets. Norma bullets are OK to shoot but SMK gets sheared right of the treads and lends sideways.
    Since I have already two of them (and one has been substantially abused by previous owner) I've been thinking to re-barrel one of them with standard 6.5mm barrel and even maybe open up a shoulders on x54R to 60 or even 70 degree. It will slightly increase capacity, I don’t think it will cause any feeding problem since it is not going to be used in semi-auto and IMHO possibly increase accuracy potential of this caliber (I'm droving similarity with 6.5x284).
    According to my calculations I'm expecting about the same speed as with 6.5x284.
    Have anybody heard about similar project or tried re-barreling BIL ? Russians are known for permanently attaching barrels to receivers and I hope it will be possible to remove barrel from Vostok.
    About three weeks ago I've wrote letter to Novosibirsk’s Cartridge Plant asking for help with official cartridge/chamber dimensions. Didn’t get any reply yet and something tells me they not going to reply at all.

You're killing me Joe!!!

Regards.
    They are somewhat common in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by tetan View Post
    I've recently acquired second of Vostok's rifle and they are really nice. Even so my second rifle is pure shape the price was right (guy sold it to me with case of original Russian ammo for $250) and I could not resist it.
    Too bad Russians do not measure calibers the way we do (7.62mm in Russia -.311 here) and BIL's barrel has diameter to accommodate 6.65mm bullets. Norma bullets are OK to shoot but SMK gets sheared right of the treads and lends sideways.
    Since I have already two of them (and one has been substantially abused by previous owner) I've been thinking to re-barrel one of them with standard 6.5mm barrel and even maybe open up a shoulders on x54R to 60 or even 70 degree. It will slightly increase capacity, I don’t think it will cause any feeding problem since it is not going to be used in semi-auto and IMHO possibly increase accuracy potential of this caliber (I'm droving similarity with 6.5x284).
    According to my calculations I'm expecting about the same speed as with 6.5x284.
    Have anybody heard about similar project or tried re-barreling BIL ? Russians are known for permanently attaching barrels to receivers and I hope it will be possible to remove barrel from Vostok.
    About three weeks ago I've wrote letter to Novosibirsk’s Cartridge Plant asking for help with official cartridge/chamber dimensions. Didn’t get any reply yet and something tells me they not going to reply at all.
    Hey tetan, I was just checking your thread at Guns.ru, I am glad you already here.

jleiper, you are going to need 6.75 mm bullets which comes out to 0.2657". I think you can take care the cases by fire forming.

Quote Originally Posted by ij70 View Post
    Hey tetan, I was just checking your thread at Guns.ru, I am glad you already here
    Thank you ij70. It is nice to see that world is getting smaller and smaller!
    Are you also on CGN?

About one week ago I've also wrote email to C.I.P. asking them for help with dimensions for 6.5x54R and also got no reply yet.
    Last night I've decided to shoot an email to Pacific Reamers to see if they can help with original sizes for 6.5x54R and if not I'll have no options but to take CIP sizes for 7.62x54R (thanks to Map for posting them on Guns.ru) and neck it down.

Quote Originally Posted by tetan View Post
    Thank you ij70. It is nice to see that world is getting smaller and smaller!
    Are you also on CGN?

About one week ago I've also wrote email to C.I.P. asking them for help with dimensions for 6.5x54R and also got no reply yet.
    Last night I've decided to shoot an email to Pacific Reamers to see if they can help with original sizes for 6.5x54R and if not I'll have no options but to take CIP sizes for 7.62x54R (thanks to Map for posting them on Guns.ru) and neck it down.
    No man, I am the resident Grinch for this place. Once in a while I will post something at Guns.ru, but the time difference makes things difficult.

I get sub-MOA groups out to 300 meters with commercially-available .264" (6.5mm) bullets. No need for specially sized bullets in these Vostoks. That is a silly and unnecessary expense. We are not talking CARCANOS here.
    The rifle's twist seems best with heavy bullets, i.e. 140grains or more, even 160 gr RN bullets shoot well. I've also had good accuracy with lighter bullets. The Soviet loading was a 160 grain FMJ-BT. If you want to load the magazine it really restricts powder capacity as the bullets have to be deeply seated in the case. IF you are careful, you can single load a longer bullet with the long leade that is in these rifles, just seat a bullet so it touches the leasde and then back down .010". More powder capacity, even better accuracy.
    Last edited by FGD135; 01-06-2009 at 04:33 PM.

I wish I was as lucky as you are. For some reason in both of my rifles all heavy bullets shred right of the treads and lend sideways. I've tried bringing bullets closer to treads, tried sitting them deeper, but nothing helped.
    I do not know for sure where the problem hides but I believe that it has lots to do with not-standard barrel. I've also spoke with one more owner of the same rifle and he also has exactly the same problem. As I already said, I have two BILs and one of them is about to be outfitted with new pipe from Krieger. I'll keep the same contour and have barrel professionally blued. It will look absolutely identical. Original barrel will be kept too.
    Last edited by tetan; 01-10-2009 at 05:52 PM.

I have seen these ammo once or twice on a specialty arms dealers catalog. Have you tried western scrounger? If not then formed brass may be in order from 54r. I'd buy some Privi Partizan boxer primed 54r from some of our sponsor vendors and then form some-say 100 or 200 rds that then could be reloaded.
    Owner/Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

We did the reforming for 256 Newton which has not been made since 1938.

Since you are only loading for one rifle, all you need to do is follow the previously mentioned procedures.

As long as you can get the case sized so it fits in the chamber you will be fine, since headspace is on the rim.

I would however suggest a different procedure for your fire forming, because your case length could be a problem.

Use a small charge of very fast pistol powder and a round ball (possibly shotgun pellet) that is about 7 MM. Say 4 grains of bullseye for powder. This load is very light and you are just trying to get the case to fit the chamber. We actually fired the gun into a 5 gallon bucket of sand in my brothers garage (not really recommended).

Once you get the case fire formed then step up to a minimal load. This is because you dont want to mess with anything approaching a standard load, if there is any possibility of the case expanding and becoming long enough to extend past the chamber of your gun, which would cause pressures to rise astronomically.

We made the 256 Newton Cases using an old cartridges of the world book which lists almost every cartridge ever made, with dimensions.

We used 6.5 Swede dies for the neck, after an interim neck sizing, and 30-40 Krag dies for the shoulder. The Newton headspaced on the shoulder so our task was more difficult, because we had to get that dimension very close. We just kept reducing the shoulder length in very small increments until we could chamber the sized case with no bullet, powder, or primer.

Once fired the cases only need to be neck sized for reloading, so you don't need to go to the expense of custom dies, or anything else, as long as you have the necessary dies on hand. This may not be the case, and if not, I would recommend a chamber cast, and custom dies. Even them I ould set the dies for neck sizing and minimal case deformation in your gun. It should imrpove accuracy and extend case life and work perfectly as long as you are only firing the ammo in one gun.

As far as groove diameter, of course slug the bore.

regards
    badger
    Last edited by badger; 01-07-2009 at 12:59 PM.

Just to reiterate, I've made literally hundreds of cases for this caliber, and have fired over a thousand handloaded rounds. Follow my earlier post and you will not go wrong. I've also fired one full box (20 rounds) of Soviet ammo in this caliber for data collection, have disassembled Soviet rounds for comparison, and have extensive reloading data.
    It's really an easy caliber to reload, if you have the right tools and patience for advanced reloading techniques. If not, then I'd just hang it on the wall.
    Don't understand the keyholing problems you are having unless the barrel is trashed, muzzle damaged, etc.; undersized or very poor quality bullets, or trying to push the velocity beyond reason.
    Last edited by FGD135; 01-07-2009 at 07:47 PM.

There was five boxes of 6.5x54R Vostok ammo on Gunbroker about a week ago, it might've been relisted.

Bras for 6.5x54R is not so difficult to form from original 7.62x54R. PerviPartizan or Norma makes very nice brass and Lapua's 7.62x53R can also be used. Fireforming procedure is very nicely described by Ken Howell in his boock "Design and forming custom cartridges for rifles and handguns". Ken was using little amount of fast handgun powder and suggested to put some fine grain or cereals (not a flour!). First I was skeptical but when I actually tried it made a huge difference. Some fluffy media helps to very nicely distribute forming forces and result of forming was amazing! I'm using crashed rice and/or crashed wheat with same success.
    Last edited by tetan; 01-10-2009 at 06:09 PM.

Default How?

How are you able to fireform a smaller caliber from a larger one? A 7.62x54r case will not fit into a 6.5 bore. It would be physically impossible to do that. Why not just neck down the case to 6.5? I first full length resize the case in a 7.62x54r die, then incrementally size the neck to 7mm and then 6.5 mm, and turn the neck thickness down, no need to fireform.
    Maybe I misunderstand what you mean.
    Last edited by FGD135; 01-10-2009 at 06:46 PM.

I do exactly as you said - gradually form it in the die and then fireform. The reason for fireforming is to change angle of shoulders (I have it customized).
    Last edited by tetan; 01-11-2009 at 04:05 AM.