Thread: Remington Model 03-A3 sporter...

Default Remington Model 03-A3 sporter...

While not a Texraid class sporter..I thought this was done well. Saw it last week in a pawnshop and went back for a second look..OOOPPPS! I forgot to take a pic of the crown..concave and done well. I don't see these with this style stock very often. Serial #3422403 makes it 1942 production. It has a Redfield scope..Bear Cub. It also has the base of a Lyman aperture sight. The bolt is marked R.. the bend was executed well...reminds me more of a Model of 1917.The barrel is 2 groove and like a mirror. The bluing is very nice. I normally hold sporterised military rifles in disdain..but this one is very well crafted and subdued. Comments welcome.
    Attachment 92162

Attachment 92163
    Last edited by coneten; 09-06-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Default more pics...

These anonymous sporter rifles are interesting.
    Attachment 92165

Attachment 92166

Quote Originally Posted by coneten View Post
    These anonymous sporter rifles are interesting.
    Attachment 92165

Attachment 92166

You need to uncock it....

Actually that is nice and well done. You'll have to bring it by some time. There were some good smiths turning out quality work on those in the 50s and 60s. P. O. Ackley was charging $65.00 and up for stocking like that back in the day. Sometimes you can find initials under the butt plate or inside the stock.

I have it cocked and loaded...a big rat surprised me when I opened the lid of my grill last night...I need to be ready...it was a big rat...a pellet rifle or .22 is not enough...8mm, 30-06 or .303 might do it. Then I will have a cape made for the floor. I will remove the recoil pad... White Line Pachmayr..and look for markings.

Default mo pics...

The trigger is very crisp...smooth.
    Attachment 92208

Attachment 92209

Attachment 92207

P.S. For horizontal outside on the deck photo shoots..the rifle while being presented boltside is uncocked..note pics #1 and #2. When presenting the rifle bolts side down, in order to tilt the rifle more toward the photographer the bolt handle is actually positioned up..and of course cocked on opening....note pics #3 and #4.

P.S. For horizontal outside on the deck photo shoots..the rifle while being presented boltside is uncocked..note pics #1 and #2. When presenting the rifle bolts side down, in order to tilt the rifle more toward the photographer the bolt handle is actually positioned up..and of course cocked on opening....note pics #3 and #4.
    I know that..:D....done it myself a few times. From what I can see by the pictures it has nice inletting. That's not your average mail order generic stock. Has a lot of cast off. Looks like the barrel was shortened and done well too.

It's a little new for my taste but I LIKE it.

Well, off to OGCA...I'll tell Vic you have a new passion.
    Last edited by texraid; 07-19-2008 at 05:59 AM.

Default anonymous..no more...

I went to the FFL guy at the big flea market today. A guy I see at all the gunshows came in with his dad. He asked if I would like to see a Japanese bring back rifle..we went to his car and I took a look at the rifle..then mentioned that I had snagged a sporter 03-A3. As soon as I pulled it out of my car.."My dad did that one." We took the rifle inside and sure enough his father said " Yep..I did that rifle in1992..the guy put it in his safe and there it sat for 16 years." He mentioned that he inletted the stock and bedded the barrel..also turned the barrel. His son wanted to buy it back and I told him he would be first on the list. Small world!

I told him he would be first on the list.
    NOT!

Well, I would take second dibbs...it's only right his Son have it. What are the odds of THAT happening! Did the dad say how much he sold the rifle for?
    Last edited by texraid; 07-19-2008 at 11:03 PM.

Nice looking sporter; I miss the point about the bolt, it looks like an A4 bolt to me.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Author of "The Japanese T99 Arisaka Rifle" 2010 edition
    Co-author of "The Knee Mortars of Japan 1921-1945" 2011 edition
    Near Charlotte, NC

Default I need some help on one

I may be in the wrong place but here goes...Have a 3006 with no markings anywhere on the outside,,,the closest thing I can find to it is a Remington M30,,have had it apart ,on the barrel under the stock there is a Y 3 1 2 stamped in it,,,under the metal butt plate stamped in the stock there is a number can't remember it right now but will look again when I get home.Butt plate has a round trap door for lack of a better word to store cleaning kit in stock.I will try and get some pictures on here so you can have a look.Myself have never know remington to put out a gun without any markings on it,not even the calibur.Anyboby got any ideas?Thanks Rick

The M30 was the Remington civilian continuation of the Enfield production. It is basically a M17 without the sight housing (wings).

Early production (pre-1926) was cock-on-closing, means an ulaltered Enfield mechanism. Post-1925 production was changed to cock-on-open mechanism, based on the Mauser M98. Production ended in 1940.
    The first version is way scarcer than the laterr one.

See there for more infos; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_30

See there for serial and production; http://www.remington.com/library/his...e/model_30.asp

Post some pics for pleasure of the eyes.
    Last edited by Baribal; 08-21-2008 at 09:12 AM.
    Coagula / Solve

Baribal; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baribal