Gunboards Forums banner

Star model 21 firing pin

834 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  smlemk111 
#1 ·
I recently bought a fairly nice Star model 1921 I discovered that the firing pin was stiff to move. I took it apart and it was bent, I straightened it out and polished it to remove any burs and it seems to be fine now. My question is was there a spring to return the firing pin to the rear or is it free floating, there was no spring in it when I took it apart. Thanks for the reply

#2 ·
Post a photo of your pistol so we can drool, the 1921 utilized a coil spring over the forward portion of the pin to return it inside the face of the slide. Without the spring the pin could protrude and prevent the next cartridge from going into battery, also a free moving pin could fly forward with enough force to discharge a cartridge if the slide is allowed to slam home. A spring out of a Star A should fit the 21.

#3 ·
Thank you for your reply. I thought that it might need a spring. I took out my collection of springs and found one that was the right diameter and not too strong. I kept cutting a coil off at a time until the fireingpin went all the way into the slide It works very nicely. I will try to put a picture up, I am good at guns poor at computers.

#5 ·
I found a 1921 in a pawn shop a few years ago that some one had taken apart and reblued and also made custom grips for it. They did a good professional looking job and all the tolerances are tight as if it just came from the factory but the grip safety seems a lot stiffer than a 1911. Is your grip safety stiffer than a 1911 also?

#6 ·
I took the pistol out yesterday and shot It, It worked perfectly I was pleased. the grip safety is no stiffer than the one on my 1911 however the one on the 1921 has to be all the way pressed in to work, not really a problem as you want a firm grip on either pistol well firing them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.