Default What's with SVT-40 prices ?

I am puzzling over the results of these 2 Gunbroker Auctions...both are unremarkable, common dated re-works...What makes either of these so special that someone buys for 1000 dollars and up ? http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=105135055 http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=104750281

Not trying to be critical, or question judgement of buyers....just can't figure why these are 1000 and 1100 dollar guns, and not 750 to 850 as would be expected in this market. Any ideas or speculation ? Any new trends I've missed ?

Ol Duke is offline Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer

If they are not available in the area where you live and you have no way to get one other than via auction.....and need one for your collection...it might be cheap to them. Econ 101....supply and demand. If you have no supply available, then you have to pay the prevailing price. Granted, they might have waited for a $600 one, but, maybe not...money is relative.
    Thanks,
    Ol'Duke

"I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would be an affront to your intelligence."
    George Bernard Shaw

Mihi ignosce. Cum homine de cane debeo congredi.
    (Excuse me. I need to see a man about a dog.)

We all turned up our noses at them when they were 250 bucks.

I lucked out with a nice one for 500 two years ago.

I watched the second auction you posted for quite some time. I still can't figure out why it fetched what it did given that comparable SVTs were listed for a much lower price whilst this auction was live. But, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it...

cheers
    I'm just angry at myself for expecting more. - T. Helm

It seems what we value in our culture is inversely proportional to what is substantive. - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    We all turned up our noses at them when they were 250 bucks.

I lucked out with a nice one for 500 two years ago.
    Not me -- that's why I have 11 on my rack. Most I paid was $400 for a 44 Tula that I'm sure came from Canada( mag punched to limit to 5 rds) in 19?? All stamped matching and stock looks too good to not be new AVT Surplus wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Not me -- that's why I have 11 on my rack. Most I paid was $400 for a 44 Tula that I'm sure came from Canada( mag punched to limit to 5 rds) in 19?? All stamped matching and stock looks too good to not be new AVT Surplus wood.
    You are a lucky man!
    What has our country become? More takers than givers.

Good photography and lots of pictures tend to help a sell.

In CA prices seem to be $1000+ for any SVT. I know a guy who paid $1,600 for one. I was SUPER lucky to find one for $750 (with scope, mount, and spare mag!).

Well, it's a small world. I bought the SVT which was listed as number 105135055. Here's why I got it;

A. I wanted a 1942.
    b. It was in very nice condition
    c. The bore was shiny (I contacted the seller)
    d. I wanted a "sniper" (I have a repro scope and mount) and at the time the only SVT's I could find with scope groves had dark bores.
    e. I hit "buy it now" for $1000.00 cuz' I didn't wanna mess around in a bidding war.

Of course in 1977 I paid $140.00 for an all matching Finish capture SVT with nice bore. But I was also only making $1.60 an hour and could only find $20.00 a box Norma to shoot through it too. At $1000.00 this SVT is now actually a bargain.
    "It's the end of the World as we Know it...and I feel fine!":eek:

Default SVT Prices

I have been looking for many years to find the last SVT I need for my collection (1940 date Kovrov) and have yet to find one. I'd be willing to trade an extra 1942 Tula SVT AND cash to find the 1940 date Kovrov SVT I'm looking for. The price depends upon how badly one wants it for their collection.

Bill

Ya do what you got to do. As your dollar spins lower there is really no better time to buy than now.

Quote Originally Posted by anarchy View Post
    Well, it's a small world. I bought the SVT which was listed as number 105135055. Here's why I got it;

A. I wanted a 1942.
    b. It was in very nice condition
    c. The bore was shiny (I contacted the seller)
    d. I wanted a "sniper" (I have a repro scope and mount) and at the time the only SVT's I could find with scope groves had dark bores.
    e. I hit "buy it now" for $1000.00 cuz' I didn't wanna mess around in a bidding war.

Of course in 1977 I paid $140.00 for an all matching Finish capture SVT with nice bore. But I was also only making $1.60 an hour and could only find $20.00 a box Norma to shoot through it too. At $1000.00 this SVT is now actually a bargain.
    For grins and giggles, I looked at SVT's at the last Tulsa Gun Show (I was actually FN-49 shopping) and 40's in less condition than yours were running in the $900.00 range.

On a few of my rifles...FN, Hakim, USGI carbine, I wasn't going to get all wrapped up in worrying about paying fifty dollars more than what the top bid MIGHT be.

One will NEVER see SVT's at shows in this area, and when you do, then it's what you piad for yours.

Fuel cost to drive to OKC gun shows...about $25.00.
    Entrance fee about $10.00.
    Buying crap you don't need because it's fun to shop at gun shows...?

In the past i rarely seen them at gun shows. I finally got an unfired refurb at a gun show a few years back for $650. Its in excellent condition and at the time i wanted one really bad. After i thought i paid too much but a few years later sure changed my mind when i seen them go higher. I walked that whole gun show looking for an svt-40 and i found it at the last table, it was the last gun. I got lucky.

I think before the next decade or by the middle of the next decade the prices on the surplups will be out of site, after all there not making any more. It just may go to where the antique blackpowder stuff is today too or close to it. Just wait till the yugo sks's dryup that will be the kick off for sure....
    Last edited by 1911crazy; 08-06-2008 at 04:22 PM.
    Are you ready for 12-21-2012?? Lets pray its the second comming of Christ and not the end like so many predict.

Default Svt sales in 2008

Prices seem to be softening a little since the spring. The median price for sales that I can find are about $850. The occasional sniper, Kovrov or particularly fine examples really draw the big bucks.

Here's my chart for your consideration. I still need to update it with the past week's sales, but it provides a rough idea of market prices.

1911 Crazy.... I agree....I look at old revolvers and lever guns, and I see the trend headed towards what I call the "Dinosaur-guns", the full-power (long action, .30-cal, or bigger) auto-loaders, beginning with the Garand, and ending with the Hakim. Of course it's the WWII guns that will be the first to sail into the stratosphere, due to their historical significance. I don't really predict that cold-war era guns (SKS, cetme, FAL) will ride the WWII bandwagon....but they will also have their day, a few years later down the road.

Watch these over the next four months.

Vote
    ...MJ...
    Last edited by MJ; 08-06-2008 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drazil View Post
    1911 Crazy.... I agree....I look at old revolvers and lever guns, and I see the trend headed towards what I call the "Dinosaur-guns", the full-power (long action, .30-cal, or bigger) auto-loaders, beginning with the Garand, and ending with the Hakim. Of course it's the WWII guns that will be the first to sail into the stratosphere, due to their historical significance. I don't really predict that cold-war era guns (SKS, cetme, FAL) will ride the WWII bandwagon....but they will also have their day, a few years later down the road.
    I can't argue with your take on the SKS, but the FAL and CETME are already in the stratosphere. Even though I have not priced them recently, I would expect to have to pay at least $15,000 (or more!) for an example of either one.
    Looking for a BYF luger rear toggle pin number 84.

All the love that we had
    and the love that we hide
    who will bury us
    when we die?

Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    Watch these over the next four months.

Vote
    ...MJ...
    I think I Recognize the Hakim and swedish AV-42ljungman?, MAS-49/56.
    G/K-43 prices are already through the roof, I aint seen many for anything less that 1200ish, this was a few years ago at the Tulsa gunshow. SVT-40s have been increasing steadily, glad I got a good deal on a 1940 Izsh for 800 when I got back from Iraq, I dont plan on selling it but it is nice to know that its value will at least remain the same (for the moment)

Alot of the less common guns values should continue to increase unless the market gets flooded with imports. I remember reading about a guy that paid like a grand for a Yugo M-59/66 back in the 80's when they were rare as an honest politician, now look at the market (remeber the centerfire $89 and $99 specials)

But until russia opens up the doors to import G/K-41's and 43s those things will continue to increase in value, but it will still be different cause look at matching vet bring back vs russian capture K-98 prices
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm _ George Orwell

"You see in this world theres two kinds of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig... You Dig" Blondie from TGBU

When shooting the svt-40 tokarev i noticed it feels like a longer sks that pumps out the 7,62x54r round. It handles the sameway too. I like it too.

I also like the french mas 49/56 too. It has the receiver of an FN49 and the size of an sks. Just the ratchety sound of the bolt carrier cranks me up. This little French MAS Commando Rifle is also a must have too.
    Are you ready for 12-21-2012?? Lets pray its the second comming of Christ and not the end like so many predict.

Default Prices

I can remember in the late 1960's passing up a K98 that was all matching and absolutely mint, 43 date if I remember rightly, becasue the price was $50. At the time, VG to EXC K98's were going for $15 to $20. For $50 I could buy two of three lessor grade K98s.

I also remember buying G41's and G43's for $75.

My first SMLE was $10 which included 100 rds of ammo.

What are their prices today?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoy99 View Post
    I can remember in the late 1960's passing up a K98 that was all matching and absolutely mint, 43 date if I remember rightly, becasue the price was $50. At the time, VG to EXC K98's were going for $15 to $20. For $50 I could buy two of three lessor grade K98s.

I also remember buying G41's and G43's for $75.

My first SMLE was $10 which included 100 rds of ammo.

What are their prices today?

Bill
    Prices will vary depending on condition and intangibles (makers, dates, etc.)
    ,but for unmessed with originals here is how much I would except you to pay.

K98 $1,500-$2,500
    G41(M) $7,500-$12,000
    G41(W) $4,500-$6,500
    G43 $2,500-$4,000
    SMLE $500-$800

All the love that we had
    who will bury us
    when we die?

The swede mausers were only $20 when there was no ammo available.

I seen an FR8 the other day for $600.

A few years back SOG had the unissued French MAS 49/56 Commando Rifle with all the accessories in the box for $189 in the orginal 7,5 french caliber. These rifles were in mint condition. There was only surplus ammo available but soon after FNM offered new french ammo. The rest is history.

The very first gun show i went to the 41 johnson's were around $1,200. The guy had a table full. Next to him was a guy with tables full of G43's and K98 snipers. Soon after i seen the 41 johnsons at $4,000. They seem to go higher at every gun show.

I think were very lucky to live in the time frame were in, we had the best of both worlds and the good days are long gone. I've seen the military surplus ammo go from expensive if you could find it to plenty of it at affordable prices and back to expensive if you could find any at all its drying up now.
    Last edited by 1911crazy; 08-07-2008 at 01:54 PM.

BigBoy99, SMLE's go for 150-400 depending on country of origin, volleysights, and date. I know that No.4 Mk. I's can still be had for less than $100 in decent shape if you look hard enough. My grandfather once told me that a WWII vet sold a first model FG 42 for $250. In 1954. I asked why he didn't buy it, and he said he didn't want something "so goofy-lookin'", and didn't want to spend the huge sum of $250!!!
    "The Germans made an excellent hunting rifle, and the Americans made an excellent target rifle, but the British made an excellent battle rifle."--Unknown, dating from the first World War.

ohhh...you had to mention the Johnsons....I should of bought as many as I could back when they were available and cheap.....

Beautiful SVT MJ. I just picked one up on the trader boards here for $975 shipped - a little high but it looks like a fine specimen, and came with an extra repro mag and original cleaning kit. I've got a second SVT-40 I picked up for $600 last year...

It's all relative and it's only money!
    Molon Labe!

NRA Patron Member - NRA Instructor

First, thanks DanaeDad, for the cool bar graph! I have been struggling, for a while to get my hands on a solid shooter/collector type SVT, while maintaining some semblance of self respect. Still not there. It is edifying to see the latest trends printed out! Secondly, I would not care a whit whether my G-43 was a bringback, or RC, were I lucky enough to get that type. But, I had heard it would be extremely unlikely, that such large numbers of milsurp imports would be allowed to be imported into the USA again! So even if Russia were to open her salt mines full of surplus small arms, would we even get a taste?

Quote Originally Posted by sheltowee View Post
    First, thanks DanaeDad, for the cool bar graph! I have been struggling, for a while to get my hands on a solid shooter/collector type SVT, while maintaining some semblance of self respect. Still not there. It is edifying to see the latest trends printed out! Secondly, I would not care a whit whether my G-43 was a bringback, or RC, were I lucky enough to get that type. But, I had heard it would be extremely unlikely, that such large numbers of milsurp imports would be allowed to be imported into the USA again! So even if Russia were to open her salt mines full of surplus small arms, would we even get a taste?
    Russia cannot import any military surplus as per an agreement during the Clinton administration. The current crop of Mosin Nagants and Soviet capture k98s are all coming from the Ukraine.

There are plenty of Soviet Captured K/G43s in the Ukraine right now. However, those that have them want more money for them then the importers are willing to spend.

All the love that we had
    who will bury us
    when we die?

I just paid $850 locally for a 1943 SVT 40 today in the northwest, my first one, no sniper rails of course, and real nice bore, very shiny and only one spot of rust pitting in it in a groove spot, the only reason I bought it since I could inspect the bore personally, I didn't want a roughed out bore.

PARTICULARS ADDED,....figured out from reading it has a thicker AVT stock.

Rifle has un-repaired stock, plum bolt carrier, surely a rebuild for sure, can't find any pitting except on triggerguard area, very nice stock for sure like I said, and bolt face is seemingly unissued, no pitting or signs of use on it.

I live rurally, so anytime I can hand pick a rifle like this for about the going rate I'll buy it if I aint broke, which right now I am due to another purchase recently for an ar15.

Original russian mag of course, has a number that is lined out then electropenciled.

I figure the prices on these keep on climbing, but modestly due to too few collectors are interested and frankly just too few collectors in general, much less buyers who know what an svt 40 is and why they are historically significant, and just supposedly good shooters.
    Last edited by AndGunsForAll; 08-23-2008 at 06:30 PM.

Ever wonder what an SVT-40 would cost now if the Germans had developed and adopted that rifle, and the Soviets had developed and adopted the G/K-43?
    "It's the end of the World as we Know it...and I feel fine!":eek:

I've noticed that SVTs priced above $800 on gunbroker seem to be languishing lately. A sign of a soft economy, perhaps?
    I'm just angry at myself for expecting more. - T. Helm

It seems what we value in our culture is inversely proportional to what is substantive. - Me

I've noticed that SVT-40 starting bids are much too high on Gunbroker lately...which may be why they are languishing. $850 is a realistic WINNING....not STARTING bid, unless something really special. All it takes is one buyer who wanted a specific year, or arsenal, or a certain combination of features, to pay a little more than usual, and every seller expects the same price, not knowing why the similar gun sold for as much as it did.

Default That could be,

Quote Originally Posted by euclid View Post
    I've noticed that SVTs priced above $800 on gunbroker seem to be languishing lately. A sign of a soft economy, perhaps?
    but I think it may be that the SVT demand is diminishing from a high in the early spring. Current sales still seem to be brisk at anything less than $800 and languish at anything greater than $900. My guess is we are starting to see the "flippers" show up with these $900 starting prices after picking one up in the spring for somewhere around $800.

Just a guess. If I had tracked names and locations I could be more definitive.

Man, I've been in the market for an SVT for quite some time. Was going to buy one a few monthes ago, but impulse bought a ppsh41 instead. Love the pp but I'm still kicking myself.
    Keep your mouth shut
    And carry a big stick

As far as prices go, it's nuts out there. Ammunition too! My ak ammo has doubled in the last 4-5 years. Might be a symptom of the market itself. Would love a garand, but I refuse to pay 1300-1500 for a decent one, 800 for a POS. I don't know, it's a rich man's game out there. Seems like everything is getting that way.
    Keep your mouth shut
    And carry a big stick

Quote Originally Posted by thebohunk View Post
    Would love a garand, but I refuse to pay 1300-1500 for a decent one, 800 for a POS.

Get one from the CMP.

As far as prices go, it's nuts out there. Ammunition too! My ak ammo has doubled in the last 4-5 years. Might be a symptom of the market itself. Would love a garand, but I refuse to pay 1300-1500 for a decent one, 800 for a POS. I don't know, it's a rich man's game out there. Seems like everything is getting that way.

Buy an M1 from the CMP. They start in the 500 range and go up from there depending on what you want. Just a few years back I saw tons of CMP M1s at gunshows for a $1000.00 plus and recognized them as greek rack grades which at that time were selling for $395.00 + $20.00 shipped. I bought an HRA greek return for $445.00 shipped and it looks and shoots beautifully. Haven't looked at the website lately and prices are somewhat higher but still an unbeatable deal. Their surplus ammo is a deal too.

Default +1 on the CMP

As far as prices go, it's nuts out there. ... Would love a garand, but I refuse to pay 1300-1500 for a decent one, 800 for a POS. I don't know, it's a rich man's game out there. Seems like everything is getting that way.
    For the kind of money you're talking about you gan get a high-end restored Garand from Fulton Armory or Orion 7. If you want a good condition military surplus Garand that will shoot fine and look good, the Civillian Marksmanship Program is THE way to go for getting a decent M-1 Garand, M-1 Carbine, or surplus .30-06 and at a decent price.

http://www.odcmp.com/

There are a couple of requirements for qualifying to purchase, but the Collector of Curios and Relics License and membership in the Garand Collectors Association satisfy the toughest of the requirements.

http://www.thegca.org/

Good luck.
    Last edited by DanaeDad; 08-25-2008 at 11:30 AM.

I'll check that stuff out, thanks. It doesn't really change the fact that the private market is crazy though.
    Keep your mouth shut
    And carry a big stick

I see nice Garands for $700 to $800 all the time. The only Garands I see for over $1000 are the same ones, over and over, at the gun shows. The price tags are dog-eared and faded.