Default Helwan Import ??

Were BOTH Commercial and Surplus Helwans imported? I located one described as being in what I think MAY be a pre 68 Importer's Box.
    Thanks

I believe both were. I believe at first, it was surplus military/police pistols imported. Then, they refinished some surplus military by removing the military markings and adding new commercial ones. If its true military/police, it will be in arabic on the slide. On the right hand side, you will see farsi writing on the slide and the serial number. On the left hand side you will sometimes see markings of 'A.R.E. or U.A.R.'.......These are fairly rare, as they stand for 'Arab Republic of Egypt' or the most rare 'United Arab Republic'. The united arab republic was a brief pact between egypt and syria (maybe briefly jordan? I forget) in the late 50's early 60's that fell apart over how to go about attaching israel. So, they were only made for a few years.

I don't know if any early ones were imported back then. If back then, it may not be a helwan and instead may be an original beretta model 951. If possible post some pics of the pistol and box. Also, the early helwans and beretta's had a few cosmetic differences......

Hope this has helped.

Oh, if its either true commercial or refinished commercial, the left hand side of the slide will say 'made in egypt' and 'helwan 9m/m' and have importers markings. Try to get one imported by Interarms. The MAadi imports were ok, as were some others....But avoid the newer C.A.I. imports, as some MAY have weak slides.

THANKS, most helpful info. I'll be able to ask proper questions. It is in InterArms box so maybe not pre68 . Would cost about $225 delivered. Same shop had a Brigidier a while back , but i passed on it.

if its in good condition, and has military markings, 225 isn't bad delivered. They seem to have gone up a bit in price recently. And they are cool , cheap little 9mm's.

Quote Originally Posted by ruskiegunlover View Post
    if its in good condition, and has military markings, 225 isn't bad delivered. They seem to have gone up a bit in price recently. And they are cool , cheap little 9mm's.

I waited too long ---it's gone whatever version

Next time I'll have your good info- Thanks again!

i just picked up one that was marked in arabic on the right side of the slide and stamped A.R.E. on the left side. seems to be in very good condition and has interarms import marks. $219 otd WITH THE Interarms box.

Quote Originally Posted by ruskiegunlover View Post
    I believe both were. I believe at first, it was surplus military/police pistols imported. Then, they refinished some surplus military by removing the military markings and adding new commercial ones. If its true military/police, it will be in arabic on the slide. On the right hand side, you will see farsi writing on the slide and the serial number. On the left hand side you will sometimes see markings of 'A.R.E. or U.A.R.'.......These are fairly rare, as they stand for 'Arab Republic of Egypt' or the most rare 'United Arab Republic'. The united arab republic was a brief pact between egypt and syria (maybe briefly jordan? I forget) in the late 50's early 60's that fell apart over how to go about attaching israel. So, they were only made for a few years.

I don't know if any early ones were imported back then. If back then, it may not be a helwan and instead may be an original beretta model 951. If possible post some pics of the pistol and box. Also, the early helwans and beretta's had a few cosmetic differences......

Hope this has helped.

Oh, if its either true commercial or refinished commercial, the left hand side of the slide will say 'made in egypt' and 'helwan 9m/m' and have importers markings. Try to get one imported by Interarms. The MAadi imports were ok, as were some others....But avoid the newer C.A.I. imports, as some MAY have weak slides.

Very interesting... I am glad I bought the one with Farsi on the side... it has A.P.E. Instead of A.R.P ... I am posting a thread with pictures...

OK, not "Farsi" either. Farsi is Persian, which is only spoken in Iran. Egypt speaks Arabic.
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

Also, It's A.R.E. for 'Arab Republic of Egypt'