Default What is a 'capture screw?'

I'm a newbie to the k98 world and I've run into the phrase 'capture screws'. Will someone here explain what that means?
    Thanks!

They are really trigger guard locking screws. They are the little screws that go into the trigger guard to keep the trigger guard screws from backing out.

Not sure why the term "capture screw" prevailed as the common term?

Quote Originally Posted by Kweeksdraw View Post
    I'm a newbie to the k98 world and I've run into the phrase 'capture screws'. Will someone here explain what that means?
    Thanks!
    That's probably referring to a pair of screws under the trigger guard that are normally missing from "Russian Capture" rifles. There are two pair of screws there, and I'm sure someone here can give a better explanation of why the K98 was designed that way.

I've read that the Russians had these captured weapons in storage, and to meet the language in some treaty about the number of weapons they had, they removed the second pair of screws and the sight hood in order to claim that these rifles had been deactivated.

Again, I'm sure someone else here can give you more particulars, but maybe this will help.

The locking screws are small screws that are placed in the trigger guard. The main screws holding the trigger guard to the receiver have notches in them, that the head of the locking screw sits in, thus "locking" the screws that hold the rifle together.

http://www.buymilsurp.com/zencart/images/K98LOCKSCREWS.jpg
    Last edited by Gunner220; 08-03-2008 at 12:15 PM.

i always felt capture screw is the dumbest name for the part... locking screw would be far more accurate

it's the small screws that lock the action screws in place on a mauser...

as seen here on my Spanish M1944

on russian captures these are almost always missing

Quote Originally Posted by Kweeksdraw View Post
    Thanks!
    Me tinks dat in 1934-1945, they didn't call them capture screws!

They're called capture screws because RC's don't have them, and those are the screws you always need to buy for your RC. What use to they have anyway?

Exclamation

What the Russians did in Berlin after the surrender.
    "Senator, don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining."

Default Capture screws

I thought they were called that because they never surrendered (lol). Seriously though I did buy two for my dou. 44 and upon closer inspection my screw threads in my trigger guard were never tapped. I know my triggerguard is original to my gun, but just wondering if anyone else has seen this before?

yea Ive heard of that, just before they stopped putting em in altogether, does yours have a cleaning rod hole?
    buy the way there are collectors here who can tell ya around what letter block that happened. not me tho. im reloading as i type.
    PISDETS VSEMU

Default Cleaning rod hole

Couldn't tell you about the original cleaning rod hole as my dad had long ago cut down the original stock.

Isrelluc: "What the Russians did in Berlin after the surrender."

Me: And what the Japs did at Nanking, et cetera ad nauseum. Not exactly unusual behavior, despicable though it may be. Personally, I think if one of my guys ever raped an Afghan, I'd beat him to death in front of her family and explain, truthfully, that he called me out. Which he would have, in spirit at least.

I bought a couple of capture screws from APEX and when I installed them I noticed the rear screw was several turns loose...
    I would recommend getting a set and putting them in.

A "Capture Screw" as we know it today has two meanings. The first - describing the aforementioned locking/set screws for the G/K98 trigger guard assembly. The second - describing what happens when an importer removes or fails to add missing parts (ie. the locking/set screws) to an assembly prior to sale so that he can sell them to you later with a new sexy name and story. "Capture Screwing" would be more accurate terminology.