Results 1 to 40 of 40

Thread: Any opinions of 'Track of the Wolf' ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    461

    Default Any opinions of 'Track of the Wolf' ?

    I've never dealt with them and I can remember some years back many folks telling me not to bother with them because they never had anything in stock that was in the catalog. Well that was then,,how 'bout now?
    Anyone have any opinions good or bad to report.
    I appreciate any input!
    Thanks..
    >
    Thinking of putting together a Longrifle...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    1,713

    Default

    I've done business with them and have had no problems. Never had any 'out of stock' issues either. I'm even working on a flintlock kit I got from them. Order on line by stock number if that's your worry.

    http://www.trackofthewolf.com/
    You know all the words and you sing all the notes but you never quite learned the song.
    I can tell by the sadness in your eyes, that you never quite learned the song.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    SE Iowa
    Posts
    1,029
    Track of the Wolf is top of the line in my book, have bought several items from them, even a few guns, they are always fast to ship. Good people to work with.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do
    not.."~ Elmer Fudd......

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Polk County, Florida - out in the boonies
    Posts
    696

    Default

    They get my business regularly. Never had a out of stock issue out of at least a dozen orders over the last 5 years. Prices are usually better than Dixie and get my stuff in under a week. Give em a try.
    American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God!
    http://fantasyofflight.com/
    VENISON - It's whats for Dinner!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Capitola, Ca
    Posts
    180

    Default

    I have had "out of stock" issues with them but you can find out if it is in-stock by going on line or calling them. Otherwise, they ship faster than anyone.

    Bruce

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    461

    Default

    Thank you every one for the feed back. Sounds like a good company to do business with. I'll be ordering out some parts on-line to build a flint rifle shortly,,maybe I'll just do the lazy way first and order one of the kits. It's been about 30yrs since I've built my last one. Suffering from bolt-gun-i-tis. Need a change for sure.
    Thanks again!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    ABQ, NM
    Posts
    100

    Default

    I have had several great experiences with them as well, but it's been a few years.... Maybe it's time to built that squill gun...
    Life is rough... wear a helmet.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Capitola, Ca
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelDeVille View Post
    I have had several great experiences with them as well, but it's been a few years.... Maybe it's time to built that squill gun...
    Let me know how it goes. I'm a lefty with a desire to get a Pennsylvania flintlock rifle and there "kits" are about my only real option I have. I've never built one before and would opt for having them do the sights and the drilling. But, what about the rest?

    Bruce
    Last edited by Surf_dude; 08-06-2008 at 10:27 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    SE Iowa
    Posts
    1,029
    You might check their used gun list, they have left handed firearms for sale.



    Quote Originally Posted by Surf_dude View Post
    Let me know how it goes. I'm a lefty with a desire to get a Pennsylvania flintlock rifle and there "kits" are about my only real option I have. I've never built one before and would opt for having them do the sights and the drilling. But, what about the rest?

    Bruce
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do
    not.."~ Elmer Fudd......

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    1,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surf_dude View Post
    Let me know how it goes. I'm a lefty with a desire to get a Pennsylvania flintlock rifle and there "kits" are about my only real option I have. I've never built one before and would opt for having them do the sights and the drilling. But, what about the rest?

    Bruce
    I am working on an Isaac Haines left hand kit from TOW. The most difficult part so far is fitting the buttplate. Right now I am working on making a muzzlecap sinc the kit doesn't come with one and the taper of the barrel and stock make fitting one difficult.

    Here is a link to a company that offers the widest selection of left hand kits I have been able to find. I got a left hand Leman percussion rifle from them that I am happy with. I bought it finished so I have no experience with their kits.
    http://www.avsia.com/tvm/

    Here is a link to Jim Chambers website. His kits are reputed to be the best available and has a couple of left hand kits.
    http://www.flintlocks.com/

    You don't say what caliber you are interested in but with my limited experience I have found that a .50 cal with a 15/16 in. dia. 36 in. long straight barrel and a .40 cal with a 13/16 dia. 42 in. long straight barrel are just right for me as far as weight an balance for offhand shooting goes. Both will weigh about 9 lbs.
    You know all the words and you sing all the notes but you never quite learned the song.
    I can tell by the sadness in your eyes, that you never quite learned the song.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Capitola, Ca
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuffy 25th IA View Post
    You might check their used gun list, they have left handed firearms for sale.
    Thanks. First thing I did.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Capitola, Ca
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gunn rev2 View Post
    You don't say what caliber you are interested in but with my limited experience I have found that a .50 cal with a 15/16 in. dia. 36 in. long straight barrel and a .40 cal with a 13/16 dia. 42 in. long straight barrel are just right for me as far as weight an balance for offhand shooting goes. Both will weigh about 9 lbs.
    I have a .50 Cal. Hawkins so I'm looking for a .36 or .40 cal. flinter.

    Bruce

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    1,713

    Default

    Check here then: http://www.avsia.com/tvm/
    You know all the words and you sing all the notes but you never quite learned the song.
    I can tell by the sadness in your eyes, that you never quite learned the song.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Capitola, Ca
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gunn rev2 View Post
    Check here then: http://www.avsia.com/tvm/

    Yea, I've looked at them before. There prices are in-line with Track of the wolf so I'm looking at TOTW as they offer the parts so I can buy as I go and get repalcements for the parts I screw up.

    Bruce

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    1,713

    Default

    Maybe you should consider an assembled in the white gun if you are afraid of screwing something up. By the way, all of tvm's parts are available seperately, just send for one of their catalogs.
    You know all the words and you sing all the notes but you never quite learned the song.
    I can tell by the sadness in your eyes, that you never quite learned the song.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Capitola, Ca
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gunn rev2 View Post
    Maybe you should consider an assembled in the white gun if you are afraid of screwing something up. By the way, all of tvm's parts are available seperately, just send for one of their catalogs.
    What would the up side be of dealing with TVM over TOTW?

    Bruce

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    1,713

    Default

    A wider selection of lefthand flinters. Also, they can inlet and fit non standard parts, frinstance, if you wanted a large caliber gun with a wider buttplate they could do it.
    Last edited by Ben Gunn rev2; 08-10-2008 at 03:30 PM.
    You know all the words and you sing all the notes but you never quite learned the song.
    I can tell by the sadness in your eyes, that you never quite learned the song.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Capitola, Ca
    Posts
    180

    Default

    OK. Thanks. I'll take another look at them.

    Bruce

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Kuhansuo
    Posts
    1,611

    Default

    Track of the Wolf is all of 27.2 miles from me. A very bad radius to be inside of on payday.
    "It's all gone to hell now, the wimps have gangs, pop punk tough guys with neck tattoos"--DKM

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Capitola, Ca
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zampilot View Post
    Track of the Wolf is all of 27.2 miles from me. .
    I hate you!





    Bruce

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Kuhansuo
    Posts
    1,611

    Default

    I'll be there Tuesday with my loot from the gunshow!
    "It's all gone to hell now, the wimps have gangs, pop punk tough guys with neck tattoos"--DKM

  22. #22

    Default

    Here is a link to Mike Brooks' excellent tutorial on gunbuilding:

    http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/tu...s/Brooks1.html

    If you are going to build a longrifle or any other muzzleloadingt firearm, kit or from scratch, you NEED to buy a couple of good books on the process:

    "Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle" by Dixon
    "Recreating the American Longrifle" by William Buchele

    are the best. Some have recommended:

    "The Gunsmith of Grenville County, building the American longrifle new illustrated instruction manual" by Peter A. Alexander .

    But I have never used it so will withhold judgment.

    You will also need to buy or at least borrow some good illustrated books on the Kentucky Rifle. Two of the best are:

    "Rifles of Colonial America, Volume 1", by Dr. George Shumway
    "Rifles of Colonial America, Volume 2", by Dr. George Shumway

    All of the above and many more are available from Track. Hard to build a reasonably good rifle if you have no idea how or what the finished product should look like.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    461

    Default

    Thanks for that link, it's one of the better ones I've seen for sure. I've built several L/R's but it was many years ago,,like 40yrs ago! Just recently got the urge to do another for some reason. Must be an age thing.. I was amazed at the variety of parts now as compared to what was available 40yrs ago. What a diffference!! The actual building process won't be any problem as I've been doing restoration & custom gunsmithing for all those years along with engraving. What is nice is to see the old process again in pictures and words. Helps to jog the memory. Looks like he learned some from John Bivins or at least they share common techniques in some areas. Thanks again.
    >
    I'm going with a 45cal, swamped 42" bbl, flint, done up in an early Lancaster style, Should be fun!

  24. #24

    Default

    KTR, I know what you mean. I started back in '73 and after picking it up again after a 15 year hiatus I was amazed at the things that are easily available now compared to back then. Sounds like you have a good project, enjoy.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    490

    Default

    Dixie Gunworks might be better for accoutrements and millinery. It depends what you want. But I think Track of the Wolf are unrivalled when it comes to parts and other technical resources for the guns themselves.

    It might be that they started out on a shoestring, like many another good firm. But I've found them efficient and obliging, including overseas shipping, with no out of stock items.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Capitola, Ca
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zampilot View Post
    I'll be there Tuesday with my loot from the gunshow!
    Arrrrrrrg!

    Bruce

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Capitola, Ca
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Calgacus View Post
    Dixie Gunworks might be better for accoutrements and millinery. It depends what you want. But I think Track of the Wolf are unrivalled when it comes to parts and other technical resources for the guns themselves.

    It might be that they started out on a shoestring, like many another good firm. But I've found them efficient and obliging, including overseas shipping, with no out of stock items.

    Is this going to become a "who's better" thread? Oddly enough, I just got an order from ToTW today (Sights for my H&R) and put in an order to DGW (Parts for my C&B pistols). I guess if I only had to pick one I'd pick...........hummmmm (in the spirt of where this is going) CABELA'S!

    Bruce

  28. #28

    Default

    CABELA'S? Yeah, right, they're still selling CVA's tripe, right? (Where is that LMAO icon....)

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Capitola, Ca
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TP View Post
    CABELA'S? Yeah, right, they're still selling CVA's tripe, right?
    They still sell that Thompson Center crap, too! And, they sell hangers so you can hang it on the wall and not have to shoot it!

    Bruce
    Last edited by Surf_dude; 10-14-2008 at 08:11 AM.

  30. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surf_dude View Post
    They still sell that Thompson Center crap, too! And, they sell hangers so you can hang it on the wall and not have to shoot it!

    Bruce


    GIVE ME A BREAK! (Hardy guffaw!!!) That's a good one. I laughed so hard at that that I came damn nigh unto espoilin' me pantaloons, lad!)

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    (Inflammatory statement edited)

    With the exception of their "Hawken" style half stock that they were making in the late 70s through the 80s with a Douglas barrel and carefully worked over Spanish lock and a real maple stock with decent style cast hardware, CVA hasn't had anything worth owning since they started business in the early 1970s. In general, their Spanish "Maslin" lock (percussion or flint) was one of the biggest jokes on the market as far as an ignition source - soft parts springs that either bent or broke right away, barrels with rifling too shallow to be given the name, two piece stocks made of mystery wood, yes sir, a quality product. And now? Inlines only? You have to be kidding me. Of course, if your "traditional" line isn't selling because of poor quality and reputation ..... I think you were very generous in your statements on the resale value or the CVA products in the other thread, but I wasn't going to say anything.....

    While not my favorite guns and I have never owned one and never will, the TC products have always been 100% reliable and they back them up with an ironclad guarantee. The first sign of a problem, send the part or the whole gun back and they make it right, free of charge, no questions asked as long as you have not tried to "fix it" yourself. Some times they will even fix problems the owners have created, believing that a happy customer is their best advertising. That's why the have been around for so long and continue to go strong and build a good, reliable product. Can't say that about CVA on a good day.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Capitola, Ca
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TP View Post
    GIVE ME A BREAK! (Hardy guffaw!!!) That's a good one. I laughed so hard at that that I came damn nigh unto espoilin' me pantaloons, lad!)

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    (Inflammatory statement edited)

    With the exception of their "Hawken" style half stock ...........
    While not my favorite guns and I have never owned one and never will, the TC products have always been 100% reliable and they back them up with an ironclad guarantee.
    You're killing me! I love the I've never owned one but .... B.S.

    Well, I own a CVA, I shoot it almost every week, I take it apart and clean it so I get a real look at rifle, the lock and the quality of every part. I've taken a TC apart as well, if you had done the same. This thread would be allot shorter (as it should be).

    Now, why don't you buy this poor guys rifle and join us on the dark side?

    Bruce

  32. #32

    Default

    HA! Always good to hear from a "newbie" with an attitude. No need to join you on "the dark side" sonny, I've been shooting muzzleloaders since 1959 and have been building (not from kits) since 1973. I'll allow your considerable experience and knowledge to speak for themselves.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Capitola, Ca
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TP View Post
    HA! Always good to hear from a "newbie" with an attitude. No need to join you on "the dark side" sonny, I've been shooting muzzleloaders since 1959 and have been building (not from kits) since 1973. I'll allow your considerable experience and knowledge to speak for themselves.
    So, stop spending all your time talking about how bad CVA's are and how great TC's are; It makes you look stupid. Especialy for a "Moderator". Isn't your job to "Moderate" and not to "Berate"? Seems that's yet another area where your vast expierence has let you down.

    Who's the "Newbie" now?

    Bruce

  34. #34

    Default

    Bruce, I didn't start the so called berating, you did. I disagree with yor opinion and that really seems to bug you, so be it. My experience has not let me down, I am quite happy with it. Why don't you just let it go?

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Capitola, Ca
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TP View Post
    Bruce, I didn't start the so called berating, you did. I disagree with yor opinion and that really seems to bug you, so be it. My experience has not let me down, I am quite happy with it. Why don't you just let it go?
    Dude,

    you're supposed to be a "moderator" and you started in on me!

    I've posted good information on fixing BP pistols here and I posted what I know about shooting BP. You started calling me a "Newbie". So I gave you my qualifications and asked to see some of yours (preferable, something that can be verified on-line, as I did). Anyone can go on-line and look me up (I'm Fiddler Green in the SASS) at CAS event I've mendtioned. Anyone can do a search of all my posts, on this site, to see if I know what I'm talking about: I did a similar search of yours.: You seem like a very un-happy person that wants to be an on-line bully. Suck to be you! :D

    So, either let it go yourself and stop calling people names or post a link to your qualifications. That's pretty simple, right?

    Bruce

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Capitola, Ca
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zampilot View Post
    I'll be there Tuesday with my loot from the gunshow!
    Yea, well ........

    I got my last order in record time...so, I guess I can live with being so far away from ToTW. I make up for it with my 12 minute walk to the beach.

    Bruce

  37. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surf_dude View Post
    Dude,

    you're supposed to be a "moderator" and you started in on me!

    I've posted good information on fixing BP pistols here and I posted what I know about shooting BP. You started calling me a "Newbie". So I gave you my qualifications and asked to see some of yours (preferable, something that can be verified on-line, as I did). Anyone can go on-line and look me up (I'm Fiddler Green in the SASS) at CAS event I've mendtioned. Anyone can do a search of all my posts, on this site, to see if I know what I'm talking about: I did a similar search of yours.: You seem like a very un-happy person that wants to be an on-line bully. Suck to be you! :D

    So, either let it go yourself and stop calling people names or post a link to your qualifications. That's pretty simple, right?

    Bruce




  38. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Kuhansuo
    Posts
    1,611

    Default Aint life a beach.......

    Hey Bruce, your beaches may have more bunnies but we have them here too!
    Anyway, I got that TC Hawken that's on Tracks page, the one with the blemish on the patch door, from one of their guys walking it at the show last month. Got all the other stuff I need also, just gotta load it up and shoot! My first muzzle loader.
    Still only 27.2 miles from ToTW.
    "It's all gone to hell now, the wimps have gangs, pop punk tough guys with neck tattoos"--DKM

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Capitola, Ca
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TP View Post
    You're so gay!

    Bruce

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Capitola, Ca
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zampilot View Post
    Hey Bruce, your beaches may have more bunnies but we have them here too!
    Anyway, I got that TC Hawken that's on Tracks page, the one with the blemish on the patch door, from one of their guys walking it at the show last month. Got all the other stuff I need also, just gotta load it up and shoot! My first muzzle loader.
    Still only 27.2 miles from ToTW.
    Yea, but, on our beaches the women wear thong bikini's not polar fleese!

    Have you seen the "Lazy day specials" sale flyer from DGW? Got some pretty good deals. I've been eyeing the 1849 Pocket Pistol on Pg. 2. I could use one for side matches. The .50 Cal., CVA Frontier rifle is going for $171.95 and the Lyman Trade rifle (also .50 Cal.) for $199.95. It's a good time to be a BP shooter!

    They, also, have the Pedersoli, Sharps actions on sale (everything but the barrel and sights). I'd like to build a 50-110 and that would be a good starting point.

    Bruce
    Last edited by Surf_dude; 10-20-2008 at 11:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •