Thread: Deer hunting with a K98?

Default Deer hunting with a K98?

Hi,
    I've never been deer hunting in my life. I was told to get a scoped rifle in .308 caliber. But... I've always wanted to go deer hunting with a rifle such as the K98. Is it practical to hunt deer with an unscoped K98?

Heck yes. Open sights out to 200 yds shouldn't be an issue on deer sized game. I've taken wild boar and javelina with a K98k out to that distance. I'll admit, a good (you get what you pay for with glass) rifle scope is about a must have for low light, or really long shots, but one should learn how to shoot open sights first, IMHO.

Absolutely. The 7.92x57mm round is ballistically similar to 30.06, which is probably the most widely accepted all around medium game round there is.

Iron sights vs. scoped depends on your hunting conditions and skills, but by all means it is an acceptable tool for deer.

I am building my High Turret sniper replica with the full expectation of making it my primary mule, whitetail and elk hunting rifle here in Arizona.

If you can hit a pie plate at 200 yards with iron sights and good hunting ammo, you are good to go.

Jeff
    Collecting latewar and sniper variants of K98k rifles.

My first HP rifle was a matching DOU 42 K98 that I bought around 1972. I took many deer with it. It was never Bubbaed and I still have it though it is retired. Back then the only factory ammo was the anemic (but effective) 8mm loads from the major ammo manufactures but today you can choose from several full-house factory loads. I have had great results with the 8mm Prvi-Partizan 197gr. SP load.

I now use a post-war Czech K98 mil-surp for all my HP rifle deer hunting. The small area in which I hunt is limited to shots under 100 yds so I have gone back to my roots so to speak.

K98 sights are not the best in the world so you need to take that into consideration also. The sights pretty much take away opportunities for shots in low light that could easily be made with a scoped weapon.

There is certainly nothing wrong with a scoped rifle in .308 for your 1st deer rifle. If you learn to shoot it well before hunting with it you can't go wrong with it for deer. Just get yourself a decent bolt action rifle and have someone who knows what they are doing to mount the scope for you. Put a decent scope on it. Nikon makes a excellent scope for the money. Good luck and good hunting.
    "Senator, don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining."

http://www.classicarms.us/firearms.htm

Anyone of those would be great for deer hunting, right? I plan on getting a scoped bolt action rifle (probably a modern one) sometime... but those can cost over $1000 with a scope... so I figured for less than 300... it can still do the job really well.

me recommendation is to buy the BEST bore possible on a k98 if you are looking to hunt with it. comparably made new rifles are well beyond any amount of meat you will be getting in return. check out empire arms also.

another rifle you SHOULD consider is the czech made post war m98. samcoglobal.com is the site but they are currently out. for $225 shipped you are basically getting a new bore anyway. i totally regret selling mine now.

Quote Originally Posted by Domonlord View Post
    http://www.classicarms.us/firearms.htm

Anyone of those would be great for deer hunting, right? I plan on getting a scoped bolt action rifle (probably a modern one) sometime... but those can cost over $1000 with a scope... so I figured for less than 300... it can still do the job really well.
    WTS: 7 unopened P-Mag 30 round Gen M2 magazines. Find them here:
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...ASC-metal-mags

k98 will also make a good bear gun.

I really like the 8mm cartridge. It's anchored the pigs I've shot, even with FMJ (not advised) with thin jackets. A thick jacket tends to punch on through, even a tough hided big animal.

I have gone deer hunting with an iron sighted K98 and can confirm that deer do not like it.
    The biggest thing is getting the rifle out to the range a few times before the season starts and know where the point of aim is consistently with the ammo you plan to use hunting. K98 sights take some practice to achieve quick target aquisition compared to the peep sights on a Garand so you should probably practice shouldering it quickly, aiming and firing as well. I love hunting with my K98 and it's all I take. It is sturdy, reliable and has plenty of knock down power.

Where I hunt, it is thicker brush so the irons were perfect for shots up to 200 meters. If you are hunting in places where you have some room, I would find a pre-bubba'ed K98 and mount some glass on it. Like guys have mentioned, it is comparable to a 30/06 so you can go from 125 to around 220 grain bullets in it. That will pretty much cover varmints to moose and everything in between.

yea a 200 grain 'pill' is just the ticket. now that said, if irons were the cats meow there wouldn't be so many scopes around. a sportsman will realize this and hold shot on a marginal distance or light shot. i use em for walking around then use a go to sporter with scope for stands and what not. i feel one has to reload to get the full potential out of the 8x57 case.
    that basket ball size fireball at dawn, from a compressed powder charge with a 200 grain bullet at 2650fps.....wake up the woods i say.
    Last edited by solman; 08-18-2008 at 09:08 AM.
    PISDETS VSEMU

What gun do you think most deer rifles are based on? Mauser 98 is the basis for most bolt rifles out there today.

SK scope mounts makes no- drill scope mounts for the K98, in both normal and long eye relief type. I don't have a problem hitting a paper target at 200 yards with iron sights- i think if you put the sight hood on the rifle you probably would see the iron sights improve a bit, but they're still not the best. 8mm mauser with an FMJ is still plenty able to take down deer. Worked very well on people for a century, after all. I honestly have no desire to get optics for any of my rifles- any halfway decent optic would cost far more than any of my rifles with the exception of the tantal. The fact i have never hunted (would like to in the future) is also a factor.
    Last edited by Comrade Antibiotika; 08-18-2008 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Domonlord View Post
    Hi,
    I've never been deer hunting in my life. I was told to get a scoped rifle in .308 caliber. But... I've always wanted to go deer hunting with a rifle such as the K98. Is it practical to hunt deer with an unscoped K98?
    Absolutely. My first centerfire "deer rifle" was a beat-up, but serviceable Mauser in 7.92. Worked like a charm, and probably shouldn't have sold it off for new/better/shinier like I did.

Default 8mm

8mm is a great round for hunting, especially with some of the modern ammo, i would keep it close to 180-210 grain though as keeping in line with original ammo weight of 196 or 198 grains

I've used my 98K for deer hunting and have taken 5 deer. In fact, the 98K is my mainstay deer rifle.