Default Enfield 7.62x39 conversion

Thought I'd show my Lee Enfield No1 Mk111 converted to 7.62x39.

The barrel was removed, set back & re-chambered - see photo of .303 case compared to 7.62x39, the top 2/3 of the .303 is dimensionally very close to the 7.62x39 case, so not much needs to be cut from chamber.

The bolt head had a lip welded to it to suit the smaller diameter case head. The groove is for the spring steel ejector on the left side of the receiver. This is needed for two reasons,
    one - the case head doesn't contact the original ejector screw,
    two - the ejector needs to be further forward or the empty case hits the charger bridge & bounces back into the receiver.

The magazine is from a Czech Vz 52/57. Some minor grinding of the Enfield feed lips was required to get the mag to sit high enough.

An AK47 mag was ruled out due to the very thick feed lips on the mag.

The mag catch works by utilizing the trigger spring.

Interesting rifle.

There is an outfit in Minden Nev. that used to do a lot of these type of conversions.
    From all reports they worked well, and the reduced recoil and ammo availability was a big plus.

Default Enfield conversions to 7,62x39

Yes, the "cutoff barrel" conversion is the way to go, saves on a chamber reamer.
    As to the AK47 mags ( five and ten round Chinese versions, and even the 30 version,) are all used in Aussie and British conversions of both SMLE and No 4 rifles. I have one of each (professionally done the No.4, "home" done the No.1.). A Lot of rifle clubs have a single shot 7,62x39 on a SMLE action, NO magazine ( normal range rules here are "single round only" unless you are in a "Military" club, with Military range rules and SOP.). These rifles are " visitor's guns", so that newbies can get a feel for target shooting in a friendly club atmosphere.

A friend of mine in the QMRC uses a Type 99 which was a Dumpster pickup...no bolt, mag parts, stock in a bad way, but complete...he had a gunsmith rebuild it, chambered for 7,62x39, and fitted a ten round Chinese AK mag to it. Up to 300 metres, it shoots MOA out of iron sights.
    I would not have done such a conversion, but since the Chinese did, in the 1960s, I can't fault him...and it shoots comfortable, readily available ammo ( and he reloads as well). Wins a few competitions as well (" Modified Military" class).

regards,
    Doc AV
    AV Ballistics

Default Enfield conversion

Hi Doc,

To use an AK mag requires a fair amount of metal to be removed. But the main decider was that I had the Vz52/57 mag.

I think a mini-30 mag would work also.

I load subsonic using Trail Boss powder & 180 gr round nose, shoots 1-1/2" at 100m. Very quiet.

Also shot my first deer with this rifle using Selior & Bellot soft points & no suppressor.

heres something i spotted a while back
    http://www.specialinterestarms.com/#Enf._7.62
    Turbo charger rebuilder and waste veg oil burner