Default Double set trigger Carcanos

Douglas I. Kerley
    Posted - 02/11/2005 : 10:08:36 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HI; I've got one with the "Accuracy Mark" and double set triggers. Would that be a "Sniper"? Doug

Atlpete
    Posted - 02/11/2005 : 11:27:07 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Doug, please tell us more about your rifle, assume it's a M91 fucile? what year? does it have any other unusual markings besides the accuracy mark, I would so love to have a carcano with double set triggers. Have you fired it? Was under impression double set triggers were found on competition rifles.

airdale
    33 Posts
    Posted - 02/11/2005 : 11:36:28 AM
    Doug, MR. Hobbs states in his book that a m91 with double set triggers were used for target shooting by military shooting teams and international matches. If the rifle is a m38 with double triggers it would have been given to the winner of a shooting match.

DMala
    Posted - 02/11/2005 : 3:05:59 PM
    The most common (according to Dick Hobbs) Carcano with double-set triggers would be the 6.5x54MS conversion sporter built in Austria in the '30s, from surplus M91 long. He says the Austrians sporterized double-set M91s used in Italy for competitions, but the Italian competition prize rifles I have seen so far have all single triggers. So maybe the Austrians also added the double trigger? Over the past 6-7 years I only saw one that was for auction maybe 1-2 years ago.

Then, if I remember well, he refers to double-trigger M38SR (presumably in 7.35mm) which the Finnish had modified for presentation rifle to competition winners. If I read correctly he heard a report about them, but never saw one.

airdale
    Posted - 02/11/2005 : 5:52:36 PM
    DMala did the Finns modify the m38's with the double set triggers or the Italians? The way I read MR. Hobbs book is these were part of the 94,ooo rifles supplied to finland but originally were to be given to shooting match winners in Italy in 1938 and 1939.

Douglas I. Kerley
    Posted - 02/14/2005 : 10:34:37 AM
    Hi; it's a long 91 1917 dated. No import mark. It came home with a WW1 vet along with an '03. I got it from the grandson. Doug

airdale
    Posted - 02/14/2005 : 3:06:58 PM
    WOW doug, nice find! Is there any way you can post a picture for all of us that has never seen one?

Douglas I. Kerley
    Posted - 02/16/2005 : 10:53:07 AM
    HI; It's burried in the garage now. Doug

Antonio
    Posted - 02/27/2005 : 2:44:26 PM
    Here are photos of Three Carcanos with Set Triggers from my collection. The upper two are the Austrian Sporters in 6.5 X 54mm the lower one is a Mod 41.
    http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/An...1_MVC-318F.JPG
    Download Attachment:
    131.32 KB

airdale
    Posted - 02/28/2005 : 10:49:03 AM
    Antonio, was the M41 factory produced with the set triggers? I have never heard or read of a factory produced M41 made with double triggers. Is it Terni or Armaguerra made?
    Nice rifles, thanks for sharing pictures. Regards, airdale

naugler
    Canada
    Posted - 02/28/2005 : 7:06:21 PM
    This is what someone told me (via email) today about double trigger Carcanos. He said they were unsafe to shoot. Any truth to this? Here's what he said (word for word):

"I MAY NOT GET THIS EXACTLY RIGHT but it goes like this. After WW I COOEY made some sporterized CARCANOS with set triggers for the EATONS dept store chain. Because the 6.5 CARCANO ammo even then was hard to get they rechambered them to a specially downloaded 6.5 mannlicher round. Then someone found out the regular more powerful or available load would fit they tried it and a few of them reportedly blew up , so they were recalled, most probably didn't come back.. If that was the only problem , knowing this we could reload a lighter load and safely shoot them but in the process of sporterizing they replaced the barrel and instead of threading it in to the receiver , they pressed it into a stub of the old barrel then held it with a set screw. This may sound like a old wives tale but my brother-in-law had one he wanted to fire ,when I warned him about it he gave me the rifle and when I removed the stock there was the little set screw threaded into the bottom of a portion of the old barrel stub into the the new barrel. S o the problem is you can fire a 6.5 carcano round in an oversized chamber in a rifle with the barrel not held in in the proper way. Probably lots have been fired with no incidents but that was the warnings that I got I believe from a book about the history of COOEY's, it was in the second edition, if I remember correctly. I BELIEVE THE SET TRIGGER CAN BE USED IN ANY OTHER CARCANO."

Antonio
    Posted - 03/01/2005 : 2:41:23 PM
    Naugler, You are right on the information on the sporters. There were two barrels used on these. The ones made for Eatons was a multi grooved barrel and it was in fact held in with a set screw. I would not fire it on a bet. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to spot my Very Rare M41 with set triggers. I must confess that I put this one together. I had a spare set of triggers and I made the rocker using one from one of my sporters as a model. I shoot this one in the Vintage Military rifle matches and I must say I do quite well with it.

naugler
    Canada
    Posted - 03/01/2005 : 6:45:28 PM
    OK, here's another question - all of the double trigger Carcanos I see are sportered - were double triggers not part of the original military Carcano makeup? (I apologize for my ignorance)

airdale
    Posted - 03/02/2005 : 07:42:53 AM
    Originally posted by naugler
    OK, here's another question - all of the double trigger Carcanos I see are sportered - were double triggers not part of the original military Carcano makeup? (I apologize for my ignorance)
    The double triggered non sportered M91 Carcano's were used by military shooting teams in shooting matches and would not have been issued to the common soldier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2005227144321_MVC-318F.JPG  
    Last edited by Carcano; 10-07-2007 at 08:23 AM.

Here is another thread:

neatguns
    Posted - 10/22/2005 : 10:50:59 PM
    I spotted this M 1941 Carcano being carried at the Kalamazoo, Mi show today and was able to buy it off the gent who had it. It is a FAT 41. SN: E 29xx. It has set triggers. The Carcano homepage mentions set triggers as something that might be found on a Carcano but it does not go into history or details about it. There are no unusual markings nor the crossed rifles/bullseye mark found on some carcanos. Does anyone know the story on this? How to tell if it is original? Value over a standard M1941?

http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/ne...2_Mvc-109s.jpg
    Download Attachment:
    18.08 KB

airdale
    Posted - 10/23/2005 : 09:20:27 AM
    Neatguns there were no M91/41's that were made with set triggers that I know of. The M91 long rifle was made with set triggers for use in military shooting matches and some of these were sold to a commercial company who sporterized them and resold these to the public. I suspect someone removed the trigger assembly from one of the sporterized rifles and installed them on your M91/41. I could be wrong about this so one of the other Carcano collectors with knowledge about set triggers on a M91/41 may want to comment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20051022225052_Mvc-109s.jpg