Default Value of Dragunov?

What is the value of a 1986-manufactured, Izhevsk Arsenal SVD Dragunov in very good condition with no import markings? It comes with a brand new PSO-1 scope and scope bag, original cheek pad, and sling.

$3,500-$4,000?

видеодон

Is this a KBI import?
    I have seen what you describe sell for $7,500.00-$10,000.00 (KBI imports)! :eek:

Tony
    Last edited by AGG; 08-22-2008 at 10:23 AM.

Default Dragunov

No, not a KBI import.

If not KBI, then v-don's value is probably more in line!!!
    Please post pics if you acquire the rifle. :D

Tony

Default Dragunov value

Why would a KBI import be more valuable than one with no import markings?

Default Try dragunov.net

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph1 View Post
    What is the value of a 1986-manufactured, Izhevsk Arsenal SVD Dragunov in very good condition with no import markings? It comes with a brand new PSO-1 scope and scope bag, original cheek pad, and sling.
    There are photos and pricing information at the site www.dragunov.net. I think GB Member "Berg" owns the site.

Estimated costs for the Russian SVD, $6,000 - $10,000. There's an NDM up for auction now that has already attracted $3,000. The hunting version, the TIGR Carbines can be had for less than $2,000 if you're lucky.

Question

What we need to know is if it's Russian made or Chinese made. Also; if Russian made is it an SVD and not a variation of the Tiger....
    "I must hurry, for there they go, and I am their leader!" Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by DaWoof View Post
    What we need to know is if it's Russian made or Chinese made. Also; if Russian made is it an SVD and not a variation of the Tiger....
    Well, he did say it was from the Izhevsk Arsenal, so.. it's not Chinese.

Default Dragunov value

It is definitely Russian made and a SVD.

Where do I send payment?
    Life is rough... wear a helmet.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, the little voice in the back of my head wonders if this was a battlefield pick up rifle?
    "It's the end of the World as we Know it...and I feel fine!":eek:

I imagine it probably is. What's the consensus on these?

Davis
    Rise of the Dark Son - by Davis E. Riddle
    Fiend Fighter - by Davis E. Riddle
    Skein of Shadows - by The Wandering Men (member, Davis E. Riddle)

“A citizen may not be required to offer a good and substantial reason why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.”—Judge Benson E. Legg

Why would a KBI import be more valuable than one with no import markings?
    because a non import is technically illegal and subject to seizure by atf

Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    I imagine it probably is. What's the consensus on these?

Davis
    illegal..subject to seizure

And what of all the SKS's and Chinese Tokes not import marked without capture papers?

VZ-52 Rifles from Grenada?

Davis

“A citizen may not be required to offer a good and substantial reason why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.”—Judge Benson E. Legg

And what of all the SKS's and Chinese Tokes not import marked without capture papers?

VZ-52 Rifles from Grenada?

Davis
    svd with capture papers from a previous war prior to the signing of the import agreements..ok.you have a case....there has not been a recent war or conflict( iraq 1, iraq 2 etc, where there was a policy that permitted gi's to legally return with captured weapons or parts therof..the svd is specifically restricted by agreement with the reds .(technically the reds volunteer to restict its export and atf agrees to deny all applications to import them from elsewhere) the value of a non import svd is 1/2 to 2/3 less than a kbi because they are without capture papers or do not have their serial numbers on a customs import liscense , thus they are subject to confiscation if you run into a hardcore fed..$5000 for a rifle they can take is a risk. wilit happen, probably not . has it happened , oh yes...more than once....foolish? silly? irrational? unjustifiable? yep all of those things and more.
    Last edited by mjmd; 08-24-2008 at 07:20 PM.

Yeah, there is always potential doubt with Vietnam-era stuff (even though the majority of the stuff was illegally imported).

Davis
    Last edited by Davis; 08-24-2008 at 06:55 PM.

Question

Yeah, there is always potential doubt with Vietnam-era stuff (even though the majority of the stuff was illegally imported).

Davis
    Does this apply to the Hungarian 91/30s as well?...
    "I must hurry, for there they go, and I am their leader!" Ghandi

First, the SVD was not banned from import until 1994 by Clinton's agreement w/the Russians, they were produced for 30yrs prior, there were a few guns, early-mid 80's dates that were imported to Canada, prior to the US ban & were then brought into the US by a dealer legally
    for resale here, at the time there wasn't much of a problem importing firearms legally from Canada prior to our ban & the remaking of Canada's gun laws. Second, there are NO Grenada Vz52 rifles, the VZ52 & 52/57 rifles w/o import marks, sold as "Grenada captures" got here the same way the SVD's above did, they were legally imported into Canada (by I believe Marstar) & were purchased legally by a couple of US importers & legally imported here from Canada, years ago when you arranged an import from another country on a small scale (as far as BATF is concerned) the rifles usually weren't import marked as the paperwork for import was done on each rifle specifically, ie: the import form has the rifles description, serial etc, once it was approved the BATF already has the individual import papers for each rifle to enable a trace if needed, on large thousand gun imports the serial info etc is recorded by the importer when the guns are here.
    I have imported a number of rifles through a licensed importer myself & none came w/import markings, but they are legal & I have the paperwork for them.
    Almost all the non-KBI Soviet military SVD's that are here (but not all) were brought in as above or individually imported (which was & still is a possibility for most legally importable rifles at this time, of which the Hungarian M48 (91/30) is one, to answer that question) prior to the specific banning of the SVD as importable in 94 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by willyp View Post
    First, the SVD was not banned from import until 1994 by Clinton's agreement w/the Russians, they were produced for 30yrs prior, there were a few guns, early-mid 80's dates that were imported to Canada, prior to the US ban & were then brought into the US by a dealer legally
    for resale here, at the time there wasn't much of a problem importing firearms legally from Canada prior to our ban & the remaking of Canada's gun laws. Second, there are NO Grenada Vz52 rifles, the VZ52 & 52/57 rifles w/o import marks, sold as "Grenada captures" got here the same way the SVD's above did, they were legally imported into Canada (by I believe Marstar) & were purchased legally by a couple of US importers & legally imported here from Canada, years ago when you arranged an import from another country on a small scale (as far as BATF is concerned) the rifles usually weren't import marked as the paperwork for import was done on each rifle specifically, ie: the import form has the rifles description, serial etc, once it was approved the BATF already has the individual import papers for each rifle to enable a trace if needed, on large thousand gun imports the serial info etc is recorded by the importer when the guns are here.
    I have imported a number of rifles through a licensed importer myself & none came w/import markings, but they are legal & I have the paperwork for them.
    Almost all the non-KBI Soviet military SVD's that are here (but not all) were brought in as above or individually imported (which was & still is a possibility for most legally importable rifles at this time, of which the Hungarian M48 (91/30) is one, to answer that question) prior to the specific banning of the SVD as importable in 94 or so.
    thanks for the clarrification mr p. i did not mean to imply that the kbi rifles were the only legally imported ones in my post , i used them as an example of a papered rifle (meaning one that was legally imported prior to the 94 ban.)and was trying to add some caution to the process. yes there are legal pre 94 weapons but would guess also many more black ones. there is a good chance the 86 could be legal . all one has to do is ask? how many pre 94 legal weapons did you bring in?
    Last edited by mjmd; 08-25-2008 at 07:53 AM.

Completely understand your intent & it's a wise one for sure when you're talking about rifles as expensive as a real Soviet SVD, but every time one of these rifles comes up along w/it comes the "common knowledge" that any Soviet SVD w/o capture papers is contraband which is emphatically not true, same holds for the non-import marked VZ52 & VZ52/57 rifles that came in in the late 80's & are continuosly referred to as "Grenada captures", good thing about the net is the info available is huge, bad thing is it isn't all correct, once something gets repeated 3 or 4 times on the net it seems to become "fact". Very few real Soviet SVD's are in the US as "papered captures" as very few would have been allowed, I saw my first SVD in VN on 1972 & at that time it was being treated as a prize by intelligence, very few of them were in country prior to our combat troops leaving so a VN capture SVD would be a rare bird indeed. After that war it became very hard to get a "papered capture" of anything back, very hard but not impossible if you were in the right place or knew the right people & the rifle was specifically banned in (I believe) 94 or thereabouts by Comrade Clinton (I'm sure for our own protection) so you have a period from about 1970-1994 where a few trickled in, some through legal Canadian imports & also from individual imports, none of which would be marked (import), after all they are C&R eligible & have been for a long time so someone went thru the trouble of applying for it's status as such so there has to be at least 1 legal gun LOL!
    All the situations above would be prior to the 94 ban, afterwards no SVD's, I personally did not import any rifles prior to 94 (didn't say I did) but mine were all after the "ban" & were done thru a legal importer & a total of I believe 10 & the process was fairly simple & painless as long as you did what you were supposed to do & filled out the forms properly (by the way exporting them is the same as a number of items from my collection have gone to various foreign countries w/no problems from anyone). The point here (& this is from personal experience & doing it, not what others have said/written, ie: practical experience & not "common knowledge" being repeated) is that even today it is fairly easy & painless to import (& export) legal firearms within the law & it's much harder etc today than it used to be, so at the time (70's-90's?) the SVD's were "dripping" in there was no problem in getting them approved on small or individual imports & that's how they got here (in most cases).
    As you can see the numbers of these guns which made it here would be VERY low as there was no where to obtain more than a couple at a time up through the 90's (for obvious reasons), interestingly though it's one of the rarest (& most valuable) military arms for collectors here but yet is probably the most produced true sniper rifle in history, supply & demand, interesting thing!
    Last edited by willyp; 08-25-2008 at 10:13 AM.

Default Value of Dragunov?

When in doubt, go straight to the horse's mouth. I spoke to an ATF agent this morning whose job is firearms compliance. After explaining to him the details of this military Russian SVD and how it came into this country, he said it is here legally as long as it hasn't been modified in any way, such as altering the length of the barrel or making it fully auto. There is also no problem selling this weapon in a private cash sale between individual parties.

Default SVD-4-sale

-Good! Now that you have that all cleared up-Weres the rifle so I can buy it.Send me all the needed info via my email or p/m-Thanks--Frenchy

I would beg to differ on the KBI gun being more valuable than a non KBI gun in its original mahogany furniture. Not even close in my book.
    Owner/Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    I would beg to differ on the KBI gun being more valuable than a non KBI gun in its original mahogany furniture. Not even close in my book.
    we all know you are a serious collector vic and we respect your opinion on all these issues. in the last three or so years there are four kbi rifles that i noticed (probably more i did not)which moved on gb all selling above 8500 with the top nib going for 10,000 on a buy it now.(crazy) during the same period two non import marked rusian svd rifles moved ( one of which was a legal canadian import) both were in good to very good condition.. neither broke 6500. i like battlefield rifles personally vrs their pristine siblings,especially those with provenance. when in comes to snipers above 7000 i like to know what i am buying is not going to be problematic .(had a few which were an i learned my lesson).thus if i was in the market a kbi would be worth far more to me than a chance on an unpapered military issue .i was expressing an opinion. i know you feel differently and i respect that i just have a different perspective .
    Last edited by mjmd; 08-25-2008 at 09:35 PM.

[problematic .(had a few which were an i learned my lesson).thus if i was in the market a kbi would be worth far more to me than a chance on an unpapered military issue .i was expressing an opinion. i know you feel differently and i respect that i just have a different perspective .[/quote]
    Yes I have to agree on"who needs a problem"And a few Gun Owners can create there own problems,That is for sure.I seen and held Dragunovs long before some of the folks on this forum were old enough to shoulder any rifle.And some people just like to make a"Federial Case" out of about any thing that they them self can't afford to own-Dollar wise.There is nothing evil in a Dragunov that I can see,The first one that I seen was over seas and it is now in the Great state of Alaska.Then I seen some that came here in the mid 70s during the scraping matches that were going on in Africa.I could have had them then,But I just snoozed on the deal and they soon went else were into some of my other friends collections to this day.
    Now I traded off a KBI yrs ago for a 1980 dated Russian Dragunov sniper,Because it had some kind of history-Were as my KBI lived in a box since it left the factory.I also still own a 91/30 Mosin sniper that I brought home-Nice clean rifle-Not a mint rifle that is for sure-But it really was carried by a "real shooter"It has history,And to me it has class,And that "been there done that "look.I wouldn't trade it for any factory new out of the box 91/30,nor would I sell it for a serious pile of $$$s.So I would have to side with Vic-I will still take a nice used Russian Dragunov over a NIB-KBI.I had to pass up two early made and really nice Russian Dragunovs as of late,only because I ran out of funds.So now if Triumph1 will only send me the contact info--Maybe I can make up for my missed buys-Have a nice day--Frenchy

When in doubt, go straight to the horse's mouth. I spoke to an ATF agent this morning whose job is firearms compliance. After explaining to him the details of this military Russian SVD and how it came into this country, he said it is here legally as long as it hasn't been modified in any way, such as altering the length of the barrel or making it fully auto. There is also no problem selling this weapon in a private cash sale between individual parties.
    Yeah, but unless what he says is in writing, is what he said really worth anything? Look, I'm not trying to be a smart ass regarding your effort to clarify this issue. It's been in my experience that unless these ATF guys actually give something on an official letterhead it "don't mean nothin', not a thing".
    "It's the end of the World as we Know it...and I feel fine!":eek:

Talking Share the wealth

So now if Triumph1 will only send me the contact info--Maybe I can make up for my missed buys--Frenchy

Frenchy,

If this is a picture of your SVD collection from www.dragunov.net you need to give the rest of us a shot at triumph1 :D. This is a phenomenal collection and I bet the "stories" behind the collection are intriguing as well.

Regards,

DanaeDad

Hey Frenchy, it's good to see ya posting again - it's been awhile.

I sure get envious looking at the SVD's, since I live on the left coast. Can't wait until I retire and move to where I can get some of the good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DanaeDad View Post
    So now if Triumph1 will only send me the contact info--Maybe I can make up for my missed buys--Frenchy

Frenchy,

If this is a picture of your SVD collection from www.dragunov.net you need to give the rest of us a shot at triumph1 :D. This is a phenomenal collection and I bet the "stories" behind the collection are intriguing as well.

Regards,

DanaeDad
    Yep! That is some of them,This stuff sort of gets into ones blood,doesn't it?- I like collecting this stuff-But it eats up a lot of money and does take up some room as well,And yes some of my gear dose have very interesting history.But you want to know the best part of my collection is"I really like/love this stuff-Each and everyone of what ever I own-Thanks for the kind words and Have a great day--Frenchy

Default Glade and happy to be back

Quote Originally Posted by badash5946 View Post
    Hey Frenchy, it's good to see ya posting again - it's been awhile.

I sure get envious looking at the SVD's, since I live on the left coast. Can't wait until I retire and move to where I can get some of the good stuff.
    -Yes it has been a long time since I posted on this forum-I lost my pass word and I tried every combo I could remember,But nothing would work- So I had to Re regester,which I did yesterday.But this passed year has taken a sever total on my spare time.And my computer use was limited mostly to staying up late to get on line.But things are finially coming into order now that our youngest son is out of the hospital after 4 months.He is doing fine and is a happy little bounching boy now-And I want to thank all of my friends on this as well as other forums for the prays that they offered up for our son.He is doing great,I thank our Lord for answering all of those prayers.
    I always thought that if you own one(Dragunov) before they changed the laws in your area-It was OK-Maybe you folks will have to start a "grass roots" movement like they did in DC.All good people should have the right to own what is already legal else were,-Thank for the welcome back--most sincerely--Frenchy

Quote Originally Posted by mjmd View Post
    we all know you are a serious collector vic and we respect your opinion on all these issues. in the last three or so years there are four kbi rifles that i noticed (probably more i did not)which moved on gb all selling above 8500 with the top nib going for 10,000 on a buy it now.(crazy) during the same period two non import marked rusian svd rifles moved ( one of which was a legal canadian import) both were in good to very good condition.. neither broke 6500. i like battlefield rifles personally vrs their pristine siblings,especially those with provenance. when in comes to snipers above 7000 i like to know what i am buying is not going to be problematic .(had a few which were an i learned my lesson).thus if i was in the market a kbi would be worth far more to me than a chance on an unpapered military issue .i was expressing an opinion. i know you feel differently and i respect that i just have a different perspective .

No its no problem to disagree. I'm OK no sweat. I was as you were just stating my own opinion and it just shows our personal preference. I on the other hand would prefer the non KBI gun to one so marked or altered back to original condition. Just a different side of the coin.
    Owner/Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy