Default The Finnish Suomi 9 mm Submachinegun

The Konespistooli m/31 was Aimo Lahti's most famous and outstanding weapon design. This 9 x 19mm blow back operated smg was known for it's solid design, accuracy and incredible reliability under the most adverse of conditions. It was user friendly, being easy to maintain and field strip.

Although the pre-war Finnish military was slow to recognize its value, an early reputation forged in the battles of the Winter War established it as respected and desired weapon system. These weapons were issued to the best soldiers who used them with deadly effect against the invading Soviet troops.

Produced by Oy Tikkakoski Ab, there were only 4,000 in Finnish military inventory in December 1939. By 1944, over 52,000 had been produced. The weapon was manufactured in a couple of different variants, plus production improvement with the addition of a muzzle brake. A variety of magazine designs were employed.(For a complete on line description of the Suomi, I encourage you to check out www.jagerplatoon.net)

This early model, with serial number 3745, may have been the front lines in the Winter War. It would certainly have been used in the Continuation War. It has been refurbished after the war to new condition, as it would have seen much hard use. Included is a photo of the last hang tag from the arsenal Ase V1. Also, a post war Lapua manufactured 36 round box magazine is shown with the 70 round drum mag display.

I hope you enjoy the photos of this Suomi, which may have caused much loss of life to the invading Red Army, but stood as a symbol of Finnish independence and freedom from tyranny.
    Last edited by rchmontreal; 08-25-2008 at 09:03 AM.
    Non Nobis Sed Patriae

A sight picture viewed by many Finnish soldiers:
    Non Nobis Sed Patriae

Very not-bad. I can think of a few American cities where the law-abiding wouldn't mind a piece like that

Kits are EVERYWHERE, it's a shame building a semi-auto isn't easier, or I would.

USMCsean is online now Super Moderator / Silver Bullet member/ Rocket Scientist

One day Vaarok, one day. Have you seen my post in the semi forum?
    Semper Fi,
    Sean

Check out the newest forum on Gunboards! The Brass Exchange. Where reloaders can come and find the brass that they need. http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...Brass-Exchange

Please add your info for the Tikka 91/30 Survey at: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...=3975#post3975

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and
    guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the "land of the free and home of the brave" so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm.
    Nov 13, 2010 Lt General John Kelly, USMC

No longer in Burma as it became too civil for me

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsean View Post
    One day Vaarok, one day. Have you seen my post in the semi forum?
    There is another one coming out that I have seen tested. I am not sure when it is due to come out but price will be $500 or so - I think that will be the route to go as it is cheap enough to end many builds.
    Founder/Owner/Admin
    gunboards.com & mosinnagant.net
    USA Operations Agent:
    Trans Universal Combat Ordnance
    tucoarmscorp.net
    Follow me on Twitter @ tucoguns

The full autos are a blast to say the least - This is Vic and I in Finland about three years ago . This is also an early SMG and is Civil Guard marked

Founder/Owner/Admin
    USA Operations Agent:
    tucoarmscorp.net

BTW Rich that is a winner. Thanks for sharing.
    Founder/Owner/Admin
    USA Operations Agent:
    tucoarmscorp.net

Nice one........ would like to pullt the trigger a few times on a real one sometime NS
    ISAIAH 41:10

I'm sure all that have viewed this Suomi appreciate it's historic value. It's a pleasure to share my collection with my fellow board members...
    Non Nobis Sed Patriae

the only words that come to mind are: THAT IS FLIPPIN' AWESOME.

Thanks for the pics, please let me know when you need assistance at the range. :D
    I collect assault rocks and assault baseball bats.

I wish it would still function, but it was deactivated by the Finnish military before shipment to Canada. Like the M/27 Degtyarev, a pin was inserted through the bottom of the chamber, the bolt face milled off at an angle, and the rear body cap has a spot weld on the side to prevent removal. And like the DP, an important weapon and necessary addition to my Finnish weapons collection.

I am currently contemplating buying a deactivated m/26 Lahti-Saloranta LMG. It's unfortunate they no longer operate, but at least I can get them without having the receiver torch cut into several nice pieces...
    Last edited by rchmontreal; 08-26-2008 at 07:26 PM.
    Non Nobis Sed Patriae

I bought one of the STG 76's when they first came out. Probably as close to a real Suomi as I can afford to come to. I like it, only problem is keeping it fed...
    http://brpguns.com/stg.htm
    Adios Amigos,
    Capt. Zorro

Nice, nice Kp31.

I saw one sell recently for $23,000 at the Julia auction. It is only the third working model I have seen/know of in the US.

I'll try and post some pics of mine soon.

Here is my Kp31. Drum on the top far left is a 40 rd drum
    Last edited by RCL 1; 08-26-2008 at 06:13 PM.

Very nice! I haven't been able to locate either the 50 round "coffin" magazine or the early 40 round drums. Loading tools too!

Notice the difference between your stock and mine at the pistol grip area. Mine has had a reinforcement rivet installed. Later stocks used even lighter birch wood, and a m/39 style sling swivel on the left side of the stock.

What year do you estimate your Suomi was produced?

Thanks for showing it to us.
    Non Nobis Sed Patriae

There were several "coffin mags" at Knob Creek the last time I went. I picked up 4 with the pouch and loading tool for around $125.00 if I remember correctly. Haven't seen any 40 rd. drums tho.
    Adios Amigos,
    Capt. Zorro

Rich,

My understsnading is that it is a very early gun, based on an exchanged I had with a couple of our Finn posters.

The stock is the early type as is the barrel jacket without the compensator. All parts that are numberd match. It has not been modified to take the 36 rd stick mags.

I got the gun with the 40 rd drum and little by little picked up the rest of the mags.

It is an absolute joy to shoot and unbelieveably controlable.

This KP has had the magazine housing modification. I wonder if the pistol grip area of the stock was a weak point. All the examples I viewed had the reinforcing rivet.

The loading tool is available, but have had no luck on the early magazines.

I've fired the Canadian SMG C1 (Sterling), MP40, MP41, Sten, Thompson 1928A1 and PPSh 41. Each has its own characteristics and quirks in automatic fire, though I prefer the fixed stock examples.
    Non Nobis Sed Patriae

Most of the pictures I have seen in the Palokangas show the early guns without the rivit, so I guess it was a weakpoint that was later corrected.

I too have shot (own) a sterling, an MP40, STEN, Thompson, PPs 41, plus many others. All fun, and all good in some regard. But that Kp31 buzzing at 900+rpm, with a drum, the 12" barrel, fixed stock and weight, is just tops IMO.

BTW, if you go to the http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/MACHINEPISTOLS1.htm you will see a picture of the early version with the non reinforced stock.

Wld. Bill found me a stock without the reinforcing rivet that was in good shape and I swapped it out on my STG 76W. Think Tuco would call them "uncommon"
    Adios Amigos,
    Capt. Zorro

Quote Originally Posted by RCL 1 View Post
    Most of the pictures I have seen in the Palokangas show the early guns without the rivit, so I guess it was a weakpoint that was later corrected.
    That is correct. It was a weak point, which was fixed after World War 2. According Palokangas (part 2, page 264) adding rivets for reinforcing neck of Suomi submachinegun stock started in year 1958. They were installed both in stocks of Suomi M/31 already in use and in new replacement stocks. Before using of rivets started wooden plugs had been installed in similar manner - but there is no info for how long.

Jarkko

Thanks Jarkko,

From all I can tell my Kp is an early verions with no modifications.

Very nice! I have a Swedish M/37-39 - same as Suomi m31 but shorter barrel and different stock. Every time I bring it to range I forget how high its rate of fire is - ~900 rd/minute.

Love how easy it is to strip and clean. Wonderful weapon.