Gunboards Forums banner

The Finnish Suomi 9 mm Submachinegun

6K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  George_F 
#1 · (Edited)
The Konespistooli m/31 was Aimo Lahti's most famous and outstanding weapon design. This 9 x 19mm blow back operated smg was known for it's solid design, accuracy and incredible reliability under the most adverse of conditions. It was user friendly, being easy to maintain and field strip.

Although the pre-war Finnish military was slow to recognize its value, an early reputation forged in the battles of the Winter War established it as respected and desired weapon system. These weapons were issued to the best soldiers who used them with deadly effect against the invading Soviet troops.

Produced by Oy Tikkakoski Ab, there were only 4,000 in Finnish military inventory in December 1939. By 1944, over 52,000 had been produced. The weapon was manufactured in a couple of different variants, plus production improvement with the addition of a muzzle brake. A variety of magazine designs were employed.(For a complete on line description of the Suomi, I encourage you to check out www.jagerplatoon.net)

This early model, with serial number 3745, may have been the front lines in the Winter War. It would certainly have been used in the Continuation War. It has been refurbished after the war to new condition, as it would have seen much hard use. Included is a photo of the last hang tag from the arsenal Ase V1. Also, a post war Lapua manufactured 36 round box magazine is shown with the 70 round drum mag display.

I hope you enjoy the photos of this Suomi, which may have caused much loss of life to the invading Red Army, but stood as a symbol of Finnish independence and freedom from tyranny.

See less See more
#5 ·
One day Vaarok, one day. Have you seen my post in the semi forum?

#12 · (Edited)
I wish it would still function, but it was deactivated by the Finnish military before shipment to Canada. Like the M/27 Degtyarev, a pin was inserted through the bottom of the chamber, the bolt face milled off at an angle, and the rear body cap has a spot weld on the side to prevent removal. And like the DP, an important weapon and necessary addition to my Finnish weapons collection.

I am currently contemplating buying a deactivated m/26 Lahti-Saloranta LMG. It's unfortunate they no longer operate, but at least I can get them without having the receiver torch cut into several nice pieces...

#16 ·
Very nice! I haven't been able to locate either the 50 round "coffin" magazine or the early 40 round drums. Loading tools too!

Notice the difference between your stock and mine at the pistol grip area. Mine has had a reinforcement rivet installed. Later stocks used even lighter birch wood, and a m/39 style sling swivel on the left side of the stock.

What year do you estimate your Suomi was produced?

Thanks for showing it to us.

#18 ·
Rich,

My understsnading is that it is a very early gun, based on an exchanged I had with a couple of our Finn posters.

The stock is the early type as is the barrel jacket without the compensator. All parts that are numberd match. It has not been modified to take the 36 rd stick mags.

I got the gun with the 40 rd drum and little by little picked up the rest of the mags.

It is an absolute joy to shoot and unbelieveably controlable.

#19 ·
This KP has had the magazine housing modification. I wonder if the pistol grip area of the stock was a weak point. All the examples I viewed had the reinforcing rivet.

The loading tool is available, but have had no luck on the early magazines.

I've fired the Canadian SMG C1 (Sterling), MP40, MP41, Sten, Thompson 1928A1 and PPSh 41. Each has its own characteristics and quirks in automatic fire, though I prefer the fixed stock examples.

#20 ·
Most of the pictures I have seen in the Palokangas show the early guns without the rivit, so I guess it was a weakpoint that was later corrected.

I too have shot (own) a sterling, an MP40, STEN, Thompson, PPs 41, plus many others. All fun, and all good in some regard. But that Kp31 buzzing at 900+rpm, with a drum, the 12" barrel, fixed stock and weight, is just tops IMO.

BTW, if you go to the http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/MACHINEPISTOLS1.htm you will see a picture of the early version with the non reinforced stock.

#22 ·
Most of the pictures I have seen in the Palokangas show the early guns without the rivit, so I guess it was a weakpoint that was later corrected.
That is correct. It was a weak point, which was fixed after World War 2. According Palokangas (part 2, page 264) adding rivets for reinforcing neck of Suomi submachinegun stock started in year 1958. They were installed both in stocks of Suomi M/31 already in use and in new replacement stocks. Before using of rivets started wooden plugs had been installed in similar manner - but there is no info for how long.

Jarkko

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.