Thread: How to sight in a 30-30?

Default How to sight in a 30-30?

How do you sight your 30-30 in?

I am accustomed to sighting in a bolt action 270 at 1.5 to 2 inches high at 100 yards for a 200 yard zero.

What is customary for the 30-30?

I could be shooting out to 125 yards or a bit more with a scope-sighted Marlin.

I would sight your 30-30 the same way. That should be good for 125-150 yards or so. That way your sight pictyure is the same, but obviously, the 30-30 is not as flat shooting as a .270 Winchester.

You will need to consult factory ballistics charts to see how far you can shoot without holdover, or shoot at 150 and 200 yards to see where it shoots. Sighting in too high often results in overshooting at short range.

If you sight in 1.5 inches high at 100 yards, you will most likely be shooting 3 inches high at 50 yards.

Good luck.

Sean

Default Shootin gover at close range

Thanks Sean.

I'm in the habit of shooting a rifle at 25 yards and 50 as well after I have a gun shooting where I want at 100 yards for just that reason.

I have mine dead on at 75 yards.

in my marlin 30/30 last yr i started useing the lever evelution ammo ,results were great in compared to remington factory ammo although i do reload for it i actaully like the lever evelution better i sighted in at 100yards at 1 inch over and it hit dead nutz at 200yrds. the deer i shot was at 75yards and hit right were the sights were .i will be useing that ammo from now on in that particular weapon ..
    pass on the knowlege to the younger generations if not it will be lost.

If you aren't going to shoot beyond 125 yards, why bother sighting in for a greater distance?

If you anticipate shooting farther than 125 then sight in for that distance, otherwise....

It's just common sense.

just like your BBgun. :D
    " Dude with a pencil is worse than a cat with a machinegun"... Bo Diddley

For a 30-30 in Kentucky, I sight in at about 1/2 inch high at 50 yards. That'll get me most any kill in its range.
    Youth And Brawn Are No Match For Age And Treachery.
    I'm Old And May Not Fight. I'll Shoot Instead.

USMC 1959-1963

Default Leverlution

How did the Hornady Lever-lution ammo group in your rifle?

Just curious, as the flatter trajectory won't mean squat if accuracy is not there..

Personally, I hunt with a .308 M88 Winchester; the factory Hornady 165 grain ammo shoots slightly over MOA in that rifle. I can't justify reloading for hunting ...
    kivaari

over 2500 quality SKS trigger tunes

"I can't advertise in my signature"

NRA Endowment Member
    Texas State Rifle Assoc Life Member
    Harley-Davidson...my kinda' motorcycle

the lever evelution grouped very well in my 30/30 i had 3shot groups inside the size of a quarter at 100yrds , at 200yards they were with in a 50cent peice size group
    pass on the knowlege to the younger generations if not it will be lost.