Default Value of a Yugo M48

Hello,

I bought a collector grade Yugo M48 from Mitchells Mauser back in 1995 before I found out what frauds they are. My rifle is brand new with all matching numbers and all the accesories are still new in the wrap in the box, however. It came with a new bayonet with a different s/n then the rifle. I believe it was truly unissued as it had a ton of cosmoline in it. I cleaned it and it has set in my safe since. I`m thinking of selling it and would appreciate an estimate of it`s value now. Thanks in advance.

Don

Tough One.... lowest would be 150-200. I bought My M48 for 120 in 2001. and it is MINT, add 25 for the bayo and ammo pouch, again 2001 pricing. Personally I would not think that 200 would be out of line. Which I am sure is less than you bought the rifle for.
    The only problem with collections, is they keep getting bigger.
    Member Since Fall 2006.
    "The Constitution? I'm pretty sure the patriot act destroyed that to ensure our freedom"
    -Bart Simpson
    Minutemen were Americas FIRST, and will be Americas last, Defenders.

Uh-oh, another MM thread! Check the auction sites to see what they've been bringing recently. Second hand MM products seem to bring about half their original price, which is about what they're worth as shooters, since they have no collector value.

Throw away the MM box and "certificate" then sell it.

As for "not having any collector value", that depends. I have seen later MMs that were plainly butchered on a belt sander. It is also known that MM purchased parts kits- All the metal parts to make a rifle but no stock. These will lack the BK and possibly appropriate proof stamps. These are also notable by pristine stocks lacking any trace of the cosmo saturation typical of long stored Yugo weapons.

But my first Yugo was an MM. It is clearly an original service weapon though apparently unissued. The stock has the typical marks of storage and careless handling. It had been surface cleaned but believe me, there was plenty of cosmo. The stock was never sanded and it bears the circle BK military acceptance and appropriate proofing stamps.

If your's is like this, you'll have no problem getting top dollar. That will most likely still fall well short of what you, we, paid for them. A matching bayo is a plus but not matching does not really detract. They weren't issued that way. No more than ours were.

If it's a first model with all milled parts it should fetch a little more.
    Just guessing but I think you should be able to fetch $250 for it. Maybe better, maybe not.
    Last edited by nothernug; 10-07-2007 at 10:29 PM.
    "In times of trouble and of war, God and soldiers we adore;
    When wars are done and wrongs are righted, God's forgotten and the soldier slighted."
    Olde English proverb, origin unknown

I do not play the computer "friend" game, thing. Please do not "friend" me. I will gladly answer PMs if you want contact with me.

There was one in the shop on consignment for $250 recently.

No bayonett or accessories. None.

All milled matching parts. Exc. blueing.

Mint bore, unfired.

Wood, unsanded Elm with a beautiful grain pattern. Not too common, but not rare either.
    All proofs intact. The action cycled smooth at butter.

As close to perfect as issued M48 I have seen.

I was a little suprised to see the import stamp. MM CA.

This may have been one of the earlier models, bought years ago and stored.

In any case one of the nicest M48s I have seen.

For comparison. I bought a Unissued, new, unfired M48 BO from PA dist. Not a MM import, less than a year ago, when BOs started to dry up, for $280.
    At the time I thought it was about top dollar for a new BO.

Also it is in your favor that there are NO unissued M48s available anywhere from the larger online dealers. Maybe some in small local shops. They have dried up from the importers.
    This fact makes the "collectable" part of the equation moot, and supply and demand kicks in.

Word from Nug and Branko says some are more are comming, but I don't recall what was said about condition of the rifles.

People wil buy unsissued M48s for around $250 re gardless of the import stamp on the barrel. Now if the stock is sanded that is a diff. story and it will reduce the value and turn off some buyers.

Also in gen. posting it here on WTS may not get the best price, since MM are not exactly embraced by the collecting community.
    However, if it is unaltered, with a mint bore, it might sell here also.

The mint bore MM M48s are a favorite with folks who want to scope M48s with Zrak or other scopes to make copy snipers. M48s are very accurate in gen.

MM are considered "buggered" up and not collectable, so no problem in scoping one. That may not be everyones cup of tea, but they do sell for that reason.

AA, or Gunbroker will fetch a better price for your rifle.

IHTH
    Last edited by 666; 10-08-2007 at 02:04 AM.

Dr. Johnny Fever Guest
    A 2nd note to 'nug:

Bok! Kako ste vi?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever View Post
    A 2nd note to 'nug:

Bok! Kako ste vi?
    Zdravo! Dobar dan. Hvala, dobro. Ne razumijem "bok."

As for the pricing of MM M48s, there are a couple on Gun broker right now.
    One just as you describe yours. It's listed for $350 with a reserve.:eek: If it's not yours, you might look it up and watch to see if it sells or if there are any hits at all.
    Actually, there is a market for these. Some folks just want a shiny new milsurp looking rifle and could care less about originality or history.
    When wars are done and wrongs are righted, God's forgotten and the soldier slighted."

I do not play the computer "friend" game, thing. Please do not "friend" me. I will gladly answer PMs if you want contact with me.

If it is legit unissued M48 that was built back in the '50s and condition is as you describe with only a MM import mark, I would pay $300 for it. The MM import mark is not that bad when compared to CAI who sometimes places a new serial number on the receiver ring. You can always replace the barrel to get rid of the import mark, but with CAI and the new serial number on the receiver, you're stuck with it. I believe MM has been refurbing M48s to keep supply up when all the legit M48s dried up.

Default Yugo M48

I was at a gun auction about 9 months ago and ther was a very nice but definately not unissued m48 with a beech stock. Maybe it was a heat of the moment thing but it sold for around 375. There was a bidding war between a few people and it went out of control very quickly. It had a minty bore with matching #s finish was around 85-90% with a slightly dinged up stock. It made me glad that I got my excellent m48 with a walnut stock for $79 at a Dunham's sale a few years. I agree with Nothernug that there are a few people that see a nice finish and don't care about the history and originality

Thanks for all the responses. I will have to watch the M48 on Gunbroker because that is not mine.

nothernug: the only markings on the stock are the serial number on the left, but the last 3 digits, 691 have been lined out and restamped under that 961. There is a stamp on the right side with a letter I can`t quite make out (could be a M, N, or W) followed by TRZ. The stock has some minor dings, but not bad at all. It could have been sanded, hard to tell.

It is marked M48 under the crest with the last 3 digits, 961, appearing on the bolt handle and magazine floorplate. There is a two digit number on the bolt release, 34, however it doesn`t seem to have anything to do wih the s/n, so it might be a replacement part.

The import marks appear to be: M.A.I FVCAFYROM-8MM. I found my receipt for it from MM, and it was $262.00 plus I think $15.00 for the FFL transfer.

Thanks again,
    Don

edit to add: the last 3 digits of the s/n are on the bottom right side of the rear of the receiver.
    Last edited by Don8948; 10-08-2007 at 04:03 PM. Reason: additional info

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by nothernug View Post
    Zdravo! Dobar dan. Hvala, dobro. Ne razumijem "bok."

As for the pricing of MM M48s, there are a couple on Gun broker right now.
    One just as you describe yours. It's listed for $350 with a reserve.:eek: If it's not yours, you might look it up and watch to see if it sells or if there are any hits at all.
    Actually, there is a market for these. Some folks just want a shiny new milsurp looking rifle and could care less about originality or history.
    ....jaz zastopim 'bok'.......shame on you....heeeheheeheheeheheheee
    ...typical 'bitter clinger'...

The renumbered stock is a tough call. It may indicate it was removed from one rifle and installed on another. Although it may just indicate the stock stamper had a little too much to drink that day considering the reversed numbers.
    But the new number added does match the rest so who can say.
    In keeping with the rework theory, "TRZ" is a Military repair facility, perhaps 1TRZ. That's the most commonly found stamped on that location anyway.

The fact you say it's "unissued further confuses the situation. Might still just be a Mitchell's mix~n~match. I suspect a lot of bidders might think so considering.

Not sure about the import mark. I haven't looked at mine in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Don8948 View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. I will have to watch the M48 on Gunbroker because that is not mine.

nothernug: the only markings on the stock are the serial number on the left, but the last 3 digits, 691 have been lined out and restamped under that 961. There is a stamp on the right side with a letter I can`t quite make out (could be a M, N, or W) followed by TRZ. The stock has some minor dings, but not bad at all. It could have been sanded, hard to tell.

It is marked M48 under the crest with the last 3 digits, 961, appearing on the bolt handle and magazine floorplate. There is a two digit number on the bolt release, 34, however it doesn`t seem to have anything to do wih the s/n, so it might be a replacement part.

The import marks appear to be: M.A.I FVCAFYROM-8MM. I found my receipt for it from MM, and it was $262.00 plus I think $15.00 for the FFL transfer.

Thanks again,
    Don

edit to add: the last 3 digits of the s/n are on the bottom right side of the rear of the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Mario View Post
    ....jaz zastopim 'bok'.......shame on you....heeeheheeheheeheheheee
    "Hello" Mario. Bok nije u mojem fraza knjiga. JA znati kako pronaći prevoditelj. Sram na ste!
    Or close enough anyway...