Gunboards Forums banner

41 Swiss ammo

16K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Guisan 
#1 ·
Guy brings in a vetterli today wanting ammo. I can't find any for him. Just wondering if any of you guys know where I can direct him for some .41 Swiss rimfire ammo.

I'm not sure which vetterli he has. Ser # was 120XXX range in case anyone is curious.

#2 ·
41 Swiss ammo availability

To the best of my knowledge there is no commercially manufactured Swiss ammo and it hasn't been loaded or sold through commercial c hannels for a lon g time. There may be some original military or comercial manufacture around if you look hard enough but most of this is considered collectible and most I have heard of in the attempt to use resulted in just duds. Most of us who want to shoot these rifles convert them to center fire and then use other brass cases to make up 41 Swiss brass. I use .348 Winchester re-formed and trimmed brass and .44 mag lead bullets for single shot range work. Go to Swissrifles.com for some excellent information on bolt conversion and cartridge making. Good luck, Joe

#3 ·
I have two Vetterlis and I converted both to centrefire
Go to www.swissrifles.com
click on Vetterlis
click on other Veterli links
Click on conversions to centrefire
This will give explicit instructions on the process.
www.buffaloarms.com has the dies, brass, and bullets.
One caveat when reloading, overall cartridge length must be EXACT.

The only other practical choice is to hang it over the fireplace, and that would be a shame.

#5 ·
Yeah, I didn't want to butcher my bolt, so finding 10.4mm Swiss/.41 Swiss Rimfire is an ongoing mission. There are two major types available out there: Original Swiss Army cartridges, headstamped with a Swiss Cross, and American commercial loads from the 1920s. I always inquire as to where the rounds were found and if possible how they were stored. I find the original Swiss loads are more reliable, but that may be because of better storage for much of their lives. The Swiss stuff runs $7.50-$15 per round, usually sold singly or in small groups. I don't know much about the history of the 1920s era commercial loads, the cardboard boxes always seem to be long gone and they are usually just jumbled into paper or plastic containers. Often their prices are lower, and sometimes you can score a "big" lot of twenty or fifty rounds.

At least theoretically it is possible to create home-made rimfire cartridges for them, though I have never attempted this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.