1903A4

Thread: 1903A4

Default 1903A4

Several months ago I threw a couple of absentee bids in at an auction. Last month I was notified that my absentee bids had won both rifles.One was for a 1903A1 NM rifle. SRS was able to confirm that it had been sold by the DCM as an NM and even found the original sales ticket.

The other rifle I bid on and won was an 03A4.

Description advised:

A US MILITARY .30-06 CAL KEYSTONE 'M1903 A4' BOLT-MAGAZINE SNIPER RIFLE, serial no. 3420685, Built on the M1903 A3 rifle, 24in. barrel, no fore-sight, the muzzle with 'R.A.' over the ordnance bomb and '3-44', fore-part with bayonet lug and 'R' mark, receiver with 'US REMINGTON MODEL 03-A3' marking, the serial number rotated to the right side of the receiver ring (correct for the Sniper variant to remain visible with the scope mounted) and mounted with correct later Korean war era Lyman 'Alaskan' B-prefix serial numbered scope, no. B4851 with rubber eye-piece, Parkerized receiver and barrel, R marked low profile concave bolt, stock with bolt notch and various letter stamps 'W', 'N', 'U', and also with the 'K' stamp for 'Keystone', steel buttplate with square stamp chequering and trap, in tidy overall condition
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

Nice, getting hard to find. Beautiful "C" stock. You might check with CMP/DCM on the A4, they have sold many over the years. I have one from the 1960's sold w/o scope for $14 !! Well, plus Railway Express shipping.

Good idea about checking with the CMP.

I checked with the Springfield Research Service on the 1903A1Nm that I won and was rewarded with not only confirmation that it had been sold as a NM, but also with a copy of the sales ticket from 1938.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Very nice.

Thanks, guys

The stock is in pretty good shape, has a "K" in the mag cutoff cutout and a few miscellaneous letters stamped into the side of the stock.

The scope mount looks legit and the scope is a B-series Lyman. It has fine crosshairs and the optics are clear.

Keystone replacement stock, parkerized finish, most like went through a postwar rebuild of some sort. Are there any letters or symbols stamped in the stock ahead of the trigger guard?

Very nice rifle, and a great buy. Not sure what you paid, but you did well. Our only "true" purpose built snipers rifle for WWII.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    GCA MEMBER

There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will.
    - Robert Service

BBeautiful love the m82 scope.

Believe that is a Commercial Lyman Alaskan with a Rubber Eye piece. While some off the shelf Alaskans were used, later marked M82's would have Front sunshade, be marked M82 and have several part numbers. Of course the M81 would have been issued in between. M81 Cross hair, M82 Post. Added a couple pictures. Regardless a nice rifle and scope.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-001F.JPG  

MVC-002F.JPG  

MVC-003F.JPG  

MVC-004F.JPG  

MVC-005F.JPG  

Thanks, sssniper.

This one is a B series Alaskan. There seems to be some information out there that the B series were GI and that some found there way onto the A4's.

Quote Originally Posted by CalFed View Post
    Thanks, sssniper.

This one is a B series Alaskan. There seems to be some information out there that the B series were GI and that some found there way onto the A4's.
    That has been traditional wisdom and some ended up on M1Cs. I am not sure if this has ever been confirmed by hard evidence but it is often accepted.

Did the m82 ever have a post with cross hair reticule?