Default Enfield/Mauser rifle

Can anyone tell me what I have? This looks like a Turkish mix of a MkIII an a Mauser. The stock is Enfileld, but the action, trigger plate and the barrel have been modified to accept 8MM Mauser???. The markings: On the chamber, AS FA ANKARA 1936, on the rifle's wrist, SHT. LE III 1914. THe brass stock disk, KOSB. The conversion seems well done (Not that I will shoot it) but it doesnt look like a job done by Bubba. Any history, backround, value, will be appreciated. Thanks

Victor

PS
    The rifle was renumbered witha 3 digit serial number, the bore looks very good, the bolt number doesnt match the 3 digit serial number on the rifle, but seems correct for a 1914 rifle.

G'day Victor,

The rifle you have sounds legit. The Turks certainly modified captured Lee-Enfield rifles in the manner you describe. It is said that they left the original manufacturer details on as a sign of their origin.

These are sometimes known as 'Enfauser' rifles. Here is a linkk with basic info;

http://www.turkmauser.com/Enfield/

Some info within this page;
    http://www.texastradingpost.com/m88/turkconversion.html

Any chance of pics?

Cheers,
    Matt

I would like to hear opinions on how safe to shoot this hybrid is. IIRC, the 8mm cartridge runs at a higher pressure than .303.

Sounds legit to me, pics would be great. Several battalions of The King's Own Scottish Borderers were at Gallipoli, and that's very likely how the rifle fell into Turkish hands in the first place.

I certainly wouldn't shoot one though.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." --- Samuel Adams

Default Cool

I never heard of nor have I ever seen once of these rifles. From a collector's perspective, are they valued more or less or the same as the same gun in original configuration? Thanks

They're more interesting oddities than anything else, IMO. I'd give much more for an unmodified MkIII or earlier rifle with a Gallipoli or Kut provenance than one that had been modified.

In the '30s, the Turks were scrambling to get as many serviceable rifles "up and running" as they could. A lot of old Mausers were upgraded during this timeframe too.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." --- Samuel Adams

Default Re: Enfield/Mauser rifle

VictorC,
    I have a No 1 modified by the Turks to the 8x57mm cartridge. It also belonged to a unit at Gallipoli. I load my own ammo, so making lower power 8x57's is easy and my low power loads (using Turk powder and Turk bullets) shoot extremely well in my hybrid. I would believe that any US brand 8x57mm cartridge will do just fine in your Enfauser. I personally would not shoot any surplus or European ammo in your gun, as I think they are too hot.
    They are truly unique rifles. I second the request for pictures.
    Does yours have the metal box that fits in place of the cutoff?

Peter in CA

Default Enfauser

Peter,

yes mine does have a "Box" were the cutoff will normally be. I will try to take and post some photos tomorrow. thanks for the info.

Victor

Default "Box"

I was under the impression that the "box" you refer to is a strengthening bar put there precisely because the 8x57 cartridge runs at much higher pressure. Is this correct?
    Personally, I'd shoot it, BUT only with reloads.
    Like any stop gap weapon they were meant to be in service only for a short time, probably not shot much and then scrapped. That's my thinking on stop-gaps anyway.
    The difference between an American and an Englishman. One thinks 100 miles is a long way, the other that 100 years is a long time.