Default Help with Carl Gustav Rifle

First off, hello to everyone on this fine board. Perhaps some member can assist me with some information. I own a Carl Gustav Nitro .30-06 bolt action hunting rifle. I bought it new at the Rod & Gun club in Stuttgart, Germany when I was in the Army in 1977. Its serial number is 639590. I've had the bed glassed, the barrel floated, the bolt jeweled, and the muzzle trophy crowned. I use it for deer and wild boar hunting. It's very accurate. I've checked The Gun Digest Book of Modern Gun Values 14th ed.,and The Blue Book of Gun Values 28th ed., but there are not any Carl Gustav's even listed. For insurance purposes, can anyone tell me the value of this rifle, or provide any further information? Any help will be much appreciated. Again thanks in advance.

In the blue book I belileve they are listed under FFV/Carl Gustaf. I don't have my copy handy at the moment. If it has iron sights, it's a US model Grade II, in no iron sights and an engraved floor plate it's a US model Grade III. If it has a schnable forend stock and not a rosewood piece, then it's a model Swede. I believe those models are listed in the Blue book. Pics of the rifle would help us identify the model with certainty.
    Steve

Thanks for the response. I'll check the Blue Book again at the library. Unfortunately, I do not own a digital camera, nor a scanner, nor know how to use either. Sorry. Perhaps I can enlist the aid of a friend. My rifle does not have an engraved floor plate, but has what appears to be a fore-end piece of Rosewood.

If you have/need to replace it with a brand new rifle, you can take the price of the Zoli 1900 (it's the same action) here; http://www.zoli.it/index2.php?pagina...directory.html, click on "carabine" and look further for a corresponding model. Then ask your local gunshop to have a price made for you for the closest model than the one you have.

btw, they are listed under Carl Gustav in the BB (p. 454of the 28th edition)
    Last edited by Baribal; 09-05-2008 at 09:18 PM.
    Coagula / Solve

Baribal; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baribal

From the description, I would put the value at approximately $500. It would be much better to have pic's. The figure in the wood often affects the price. And the condition of the bore is critical. Many rifles of that production era have not been cared for properly. The only way to check the bore is with a bore scope which is usually only found at the better gun shops. The Zoli is essentially the same design, but those of us that are Husqvarna purists realize that the Zoli is not the same as the Husqvarna / Carl Gustaf.
    I have several Gustafs and I would not trade them for the Zoli. The history of Husqvarna is really special.

Congratulations on such a nice rifle. I hope you will continue to enjoy it.

Good Shooting!

Talking pending condition

98 %?, changes made professionally or noticeable can change prices?could be as high as $800 or more depending, box all the papers, hang tags, receipts for purchase, figure of wood as said,NEW IN BOX :D would bring a premium., scope choices, mounts and cal. wants. or as low as $500 or less. i myself have an unusual grade #3 with sights, blonde french walnut, engraving, was a special order gun unfired,( Steve. your right as a rule of thumb, but don't forget sometimes like the older guns many small things/changes were ordered at times) like mine this insurance salesman, he and his wife were working in Germany, ordered from the company, i got no papers, box / papers burned by mans wife after his death. but she talked with me for a long, while proud of her husban gun collection, told me all this, ) as for the ZOLIS their, (BARIBAL) prices, which are very high, are based on current production cost now, import cost have changed, NAFTA, and all the extras. i don't think,-- they are comparable to collection prices of the originals, not saying as some they are less in quality or more, but design is not the price comparison here its strictly-- money building cost vs money buying cost,-- vs collection cost of a gun no longer made. as far as looking up prices in books for value FIRE IN THE HOLE', they determine the price by so called experts in the field and none of use us has written in to blue book , or other mags. to tell them as other collectors have done to get the true market price. or they pro-rate the increases based on last books prices which doesn't mean a thing. Ive my self have paid hundreds above cost of book list and thought it fair, and have paid hundreds less and got the deals of my life from someone/dealers who read a pricing book:D. HOLE you have a fantastical history driven gun, that's very accurate right out of the box :cool: and the intrinsic value is attached to your personal relationship with all the memories, hand it back down to your children thus increasing the value again and again, keep comming back to the board, good story, how does it shoot?<>< dk
    Last edited by DK PHILLIPS; 09-06-2008 at 09:19 AM. Reason: sp

Thank you all for your valuable information. Upon further research, It looks like I have a Carl Gustav Grade II. There's no mention of the apparent stamped model name of "Nitro" in the reference books though. It's worth approximately $500. Thought it might be higher. Oh well. Although I have had the bed glassed, barrel floated, and the bolt jeweled. Thanks again for all your help.